calci sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":21yrdxem said:
gimmexthexloot":21yrdxem said:
i use a porcelain tiles from lowes, costs less then 20 bucks to line the terrarium, i get mesa rust, it has a rock like finish. when they mess on a tile you just take that tile out and sanitize it

Rex is , and Puff while he was with us was , on slate floor tiles. If a tile is soiled, I lift it out, put a spare in, and take the soiled tile out and lay it on the grass and blast it with the garden hose, it then stays there to dry in the sun and for the UV from the sun to kill any germs. If it's really mucky, I simply spray 1:200 F10 on it and let it airdry afterwards (this kills ALL germs !).

My two 4 month olds , Peppa and Toothless, are in 100L plastic rearing tubs , with part ceramic tile, part bare plastic , part covered with scot towel (paper towelling , under the food dish).

Sounds like what I do, except I boil the tiles :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
gimmexthexloot":3momn1ut said:
kingofnobbys":3momn1ut said:
gimmexthexloot":3momn1ut said:
i use a porcelain tiles from lowes, costs less then 20 bucks to line the terrarium, i get mesa rust, it has a rock like finish. when they mess on a tile you just take that tile out and sanitize it

Rex is , and Puff while he was with us was , on slate floor tiles. If a tile is soiled, I lift it out, put a spare in, and take the soiled tile out and lay it on the grass and blast it with the garden hose, it then stays there to dry in the sun and for the UV from the sun to kill any germs. If it's really mucky, I simply spray 1:200 F10 on it and let it airdry afterwards (this kills ALL germs !).

My two 4 month olds , Peppa and Toothless, are in 100L plastic rearing tubs , with part ceramic tile, part bare plastic , part covered with scot towel (paper towelling , under the food dish).

Tiles may not be porous on the slick "work" surface, but they are very porous , immersing the tiles in water (boiling or otherwise) will force the back face to absorb moisture , and it will take a while for the wet / damp core of the tile to loose this moisture, this does 2 things :
- - increases humidity in the enclosure
- - provides a perfect breeding / colonising site for bacteria and viruses, once inside the tile these will be near impossible to remove/ kill off.

Anyone who has laid floor tile or hung wall tiles will tell you how much moisture tiles suck in . LOTS.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":165jaifj said:
gimmexthexloot":165jaifj said:
kingofnobbys":165jaifj said:
gimmexthexloot":165jaifj said:

Tiles may not be porous on the slick "work" surface, but they are very porous , immersing the tiles in water (boiling or otherwise) will force the back face to absorb moisture , and it will take a while for the wet / damp core of the tile to loose this moisture, this does 2 things :
- - increases humidity in the enclosure
- - provides a perfect breeding / colonising site for bacteria and viruses, once inside the tile these will be near impossible to remove/ kill off.

Anyone who has laid floor tile or hung wall tiles will tell you how much moisture tiles suck in . LOTS.

you dont immerse the tiles in water. i put them in a pot on a makeshift wirerack with a shallow amount of boiling water, you let it boil about 5 minutes, remove them, wipe them down and place them next to the terrariums, underneath lights . as far as i knew this was a safe method, i had actually read about it in of the magazines i receive. i guess i need to look into it more.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This has worked for my dragons as a lay/dig box to place in the enclosure.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full
I used either plain damp sand or sand/topsoil mix. A log or rock next to it makes for easy access but you can place your dragon in there for the first time. It doubles as a basking platform and is about 22" long, 10" wide and 7-8" deep. Fill it a little more than 3/4 full and most of the sand stays in the box.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":n70l4n8z said:
jasonhaldane":n70l4n8z said:
Rampagingraptor":n70l4n8z said:
In my opinion you're better off getting a dig box if you want something for your beardie to be able to dig. You could use playsand for either (think some people mix it with soil, but I don't know the exact ratios).
You should also try reading this. Dig box suggestions are at the bottom of the first post. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

i've looked around in some stores for a box she could dig in when she was originally laying eggs but i couldn't find anything good so i just got a tiny baking tray and she would just walked over it and when she turns she'd flick the soil all over

Next time you buy a big tub of icecream (2L or 3L or what ever) , keep the plastic tub , very easily converted to a dig box if you MUST have sand in there.

Or maybe buy a DECOR TellFresh food tub (1.5L or 4L) will work just as well.

don't actually sell 2l or 3l ice cream tubs over here and i've looked around for tubs for her but none were big enough, and she loves digging in sand and lays eggs once or twice a year so would like to have sand in

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jasonhaldane":33s6el3w said:
kingofnobbys":33s6el3w said:
jasonhaldane":33s6el3w said:
Rampagingraptor":33s6el3w said:
In my opinion you're better off getting a dig box if you want something for your beardie to be able to dig. You could use playsand for either (think some people mix it with soil, but I don't know the exact ratios).
You should also try reading this. Dig box suggestions are at the bottom of the first post. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

i've looked around in some stores for a box she could dig in when she was originally laying eggs but i couldn't find anything good so i just got a tiny baking tray and she would just walked over it and when she turns she'd flick the soil all over

Next time you buy a big tub of icecream (2L or 3L or what ever) , keep the plastic tub , very easily converted to a dig box if you MUST have sand in there.

Or maybe buy a DECOR TellFresh food tub (1.5L or 4L) will work just as well.

don't actually sell 2l or 3l ice cream tubs over here and i've looked around for tubs for her but none were big enough, and she loves digging in sand and lays eggs once or twice a year so would like to have sand in

I'm certain you can get these or their equivalents over there in any supermarket http://www.decor.com.au/kitchen/storage/
ie
http://www.decor.com.au/product/tellfresh-meat-storer-rack-4-0-l/
http://www.decor.com.au/product/tellfresh-oblong-4-0-l/
http://www.decor.com.au/product/tellfresh-oblong-10-0-l/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom