calci sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
have my 2 dragons on calci sand and they both love it. only issue is it seems to be coating one of them white/gray even if i bathe her out of the viv and let her dry she still goes back to that color. bought it because she lays eggs alot and enjoys digging, laid 63 eggs in 2months so i don't want to take it away from her.

I would switch do a sand that doesn't have a lot of dyes/color. My beardie loves sand too, and the same thing happened to her. Her feet turned white :lol:

I switched to non-calci, non-dyed sand and she still loves it the same. :mrgreen:

ruben0311

Juvie Member
yeah mine loves to dig up a little sleeping spot every night. he was getting blue from the calci-sand... horrible color choice... switched to play sand and have had no issues with him rejecting the change. and the blue is almost gone.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
ruben0311":2043l3p7 said:
yeah mine loves to dig up a little sleeping spot every night. he was getting blue from the calci-sand... horrible color choice... switched to play sand and have had no issues with him rejecting the change. and the blue is almost gone.

i have the white so its not as bad. but she sometimes drops a bit food and she'll eat it off the floor, would a little bit of play sand be alright if she ate it cause she ate a bit of the calci and was blocked for about 3 days.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
if your basking temperatures are nice and hot then impaction shouldn't really be an issue, remember that their body will work more efficiently when at the correct temperatures. whenever Fred does take a bit of sand in with food he'll promptly spit it out. I think the bad part of the calci-sand is that it probably doesn't taste weird or feel weird so if they get a bit in with food they are like eh, is not so bad... but with real sand they can feel its not normal or something for them to eat. I have only about 1/3 of my tank with sand and the rest with slate, which is where all his food is so any risks from sloppy eating is minimized drastically. also having quite a few elevated areas where crickets and other feeders can climb on helps by keeping them off the sand. makes for a better hunting experience too

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
ruben0311":9un9s641 said:
if your basking temperatures are nice and hot then impaction shouldn't really be an issue, remember that their body will work more efficiently when at the correct temperatures. whenever Fred does take a bit of sand in with food he'll promptly spit it out. I think the bad part of the calci-sand is that it probably doesn't taste weird or feel weird so if they get a bit in with food they are like eh, is not so bad... but with real sand they can feel its not normal or something for them to eat. I have only about 1/3 of my tank with sand and the rest with slate, which is where all his food is so any risks from sloppy eating is minimized drastically. also having quite a few elevated areas where crickets and other feeders can climb on helps by keeping them off the sand. makes for a better hunting experience too

basking spot is around 38 and shes about 3 and half years old. if she eats it she wont spit it out she eats anything that goes in her mouth except salad

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Calci-sand is VERY bad. It contains calcium so it encourages them to lick it then hardens in their bellies like cement. I would highly advise that you remove it asap.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jasonhaldane":2eoat8ec said:
have my 2 dragons on calci sand and they both love it. only issue is it seems to be coating one of them white/gray even if i bathe her out of the viv and let her dry she still goes back to that color. bought it because she lays eggs alot and enjoys digging, laid 63 eggs in 2months so i don't want to take it away from her.

Calcisand is LETHAL to beardies , you might as well have them on quickset concrete. SHOULD NEVER BE USED for any lizard as a bedding.

Although many keepers and breeders advocate playsand as a good bedding beardies, you are running a real risk of sand being ingested while the beardies are eating and suffering serious or even fatal impaction. DON"T USE SAND.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=194984
There is a reason this is stickied.
Also, don't mean to start any arguments, but sand is pretty bad as a general main substrate, too. Soaks in so much poop, bacteria, and requires you to replace it all the time. Way cheaper and easier to clean with newspaper or textured tile.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":3c9jzt6d said:
Calci-sand is VERY bad. It contains calcium so it encourages them to lick it then hardens in their bellies like cement. I would highly advise that you remove it asap.

was looking at other substrates so my beardie can dig assume the 100% natural reptile sand with no colours or dyes is better.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
In my opinion you're better off getting a dig box if you want something for your beardie to be able to dig. You could use playsand for either (think some people mix it with soil, but I don't know the exact ratios).
You should also try reading this. Dig box suggestions are at the bottom of the first post. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
Rampagingraptor":37slgmyy said:
In my opinion you're better off getting a dig box if you want something for your beardie to be able to dig. You could use playsand for either (think some people mix it with soil, but I don't know the exact ratios).
You should also try reading this. Dig box suggestions are at the bottom of the first post. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

i've looked around in some stores for a box she could dig in when she was originally laying eggs but i couldn't find anything good so i just got a tiny baking tray and she would just walked over it and when she turns she'd flick the soil all over

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jasonhaldane":1aj0wobz said:
Rampagingraptor":1aj0wobz said:

i've looked around in some stores for a box she could dig in when she was originally laying eggs but i couldn't find anything good so i just got a tiny baking tray and she would just walked over it and when she turns she'd flick the soil all over

Next time you buy a big tub of icecream (2L or 3L or what ever) , keep the plastic tub , very easily converted to a dig box if you MUST have sand in there.

Or maybe buy a DECOR TellFresh food tub (1.5L or 4L) will work just as well.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
i use a porcelain tiles from lowes, costs less then 20 bucks to line the terrarium, i get mesa rust, it has a rock like finish. when they mess on a tile you just take that tile out and sanitize it

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
gimmexthexloot":gxt5k1oo said:
i use a porcelain tiles from lowes, costs less then 20 bucks to line the terrarium, i get mesa rust, it has a rock like finish. when they mess on a tile you just take that tile out and sanitize it

Rex is , and Puff while he was with us was , on slate floor tiles. If a tile is soiled, I lift it out, put a spare in, and take the soiled tile out and lay it on the grass and blast it with the garden hose, it then stays there to dry in the sun and for the UV from the sun to kill any germs. If it's really mucky, I simply spray 1:100 F10 on it and let it airdry afterwards (this kills ALL germs !).

My two 4 month olds , Peppa and Toothless, are in 100L plastic rearing tubs , with part ceramic tile, part bare plastic , part covered with scot towel (paper towelling , under the food dish).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom