Bummed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I saw a listing last week that someone no longer wanted their bearded dragon (can you imagine?) I took one look at the picture and fell in love. She looked so sad. I knew I could give her care and love that she had never had and even though I have a full house already I couldn't stop mulling over the idea. So I hinted to my husband. Then I emailed pics to him. Then I begged and pleaded with him. He finally said yes! I was so excited. I replied to the owners and tried to arrange a pickup date. Then I spent all night, and I mean all night (from 6PM to 5AM) moving furniture around the house to make room for a new beardie. I even ordered from Mulberry Farms.
I got an email back this morning... they decided they want more money, and I don't have it right now... so no dragon for me. I am SO bummed. I know I'm stupid to get excited over a critter I've never met but I've been told I have that "gotta save 'em all attitude". Has this happened to anyone else? WWWWWWaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Talk to them again. Remind them that with the recession and Christmas, they are going to have a hard time finding anyone who can pay the original price, let alone a higher one. Explain to them that you are very experienced and will give her a good home too. If that doesn't work give them a few days to realize that you may well be the only interested party. Good luck. :D

Sandy h

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Awww, what a big letdown! Selfish people...I wonder if they got several offers or something and thought because so many people were willing to pay the original price that someone would surely be willing to pay a higher price. But to arrange the pickup and all and then just decide to raise the price? :banghead:

Maybe you'll get him after all, if no one responds to the higher price. If it's meant to be....

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Call their bluff.They are just the type of people that are greedy and always looking to get more then they deserve.I hope they change their mind no only for you but for the beardie.Keep us posted on what happens.I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Staz

How infuriating!! It's disgusting that they did that to you after agreeing on the original price!! The poor beardie firstly because it is no longer wanted by it's owners and then being denied your love just so they can see how much they can squeeze out of you!! I hope they come to their senses and all your planning doesn't go to waste!! Please do keep us updated. :D x x

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
ARGH :angry5: I agree with the last poster. If they do not want the beardie why deny it a proper home, loving home? Those people have some nerve. Hopefully everything will work out and you will be able to take her anyway. Definitely keep us updated.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
*Sigh* Well, I still don't have her. I honestly don't think the owners think of her as anything more than a decoration, like a fish. When I asked for her name, her health history, etc, they responded by telling me how nice the cabinets on the tank stand were. They are not budging on the price. I think I MAY be able pay that much next payday, but now I have a new set of concerns.

My family & friends are giving me heck b/c they think I'm just wanting another pet to make me feel better b/c some depressing things have happened in my life lately. I told them no, I really think this bearded needs help. They say that not everyone can treat their beardie like I do and that if she was really so abused then how did she live to be four years old?

All I know is what I've seen from the pictures... the substrate is unrecognizable and doesn't even fully cover the bottom, the UV light is not low enough for effect, there is only one log in the whole tank, and nothing else except for a pool of water on the other side. From what I could see, she didn't show signs of MBD but she had that listless look about her and her colors weren't showing, leading me to believe her temps are off, too. I doubt she is ever handled. This sounds awful to me, but my family & friends argue, saying it's fine and not everyone is as passionate as me. Be honest. Am I stupid for wanting to "save" her?

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Awh, how disappointing. I will never understand why people invest in any animal if they are not willing to make it a part of the family and care for it properly. I’m going through a terrible time with a friend of a friend who rescued (I use that term very lightly here) a beardy. They know nothing about care, but came to me for information, which is good. Problem is that they have all sorts of excuses as to why they cannot provide the beardy with everything it needs. “It’s Christmas and money is tight”, etc. They have had him for over a month and still have not gotten him a UVB, which he has never had. To me, this sort of stuff is sickening. If an animal is taken in by somebody then it should have everything it needs, period. There is no excuse; if the money is not there then they should not have taken it on to begin with. One of mine needed a new MVB just before Christmas and she got it. If it had made the difference between presents or an MVB, she still would have gotten it.

I just love it when people like the ones selling this beardy don’t take proper care of them to begin with and then think they are worth something. Ummm, that’s not the way it works. People don’t pay for torn clothing or broken toys, why should they have to pay top dollar for an unhealthy animal due to human ignorance? Anybody who cares more about the money and less about the quality of the home their animal will be going to is simply deplorable.

You are not stupid for wanting to save her at all. It is a wonderful thing for you to do. The question that you need to ask yourself is can you provide the standard of care that she requires both financially and physically. If the answer is no, then you need to let your mind lead you, rather than your heart. If the answer is yes and you really want her that bad, then it does not matter what anybody else says or thinks. All of us animal lovers know that not everybody understands what our animals do for us. I know mine keep me sane and also provide me with unconditional love. I would not trade any of mine for the world, let all my friends and family think I’m loony, I don’t care.

I was just looking at bunnies at my local pet shop last night. I wanted to bring another one home so badly, but I know that I have enough and don’t have the time and resources to offer to another. Could I afford the $24.00 to purchase one? Sure, but long term care (food, bedding, cage, having her neutered) would be a real stretch so I had to walk away. So anyway, if you have the time and the money to support her then I say go for it! She would be very lucky to have somebody like you to care for her. Somebody who sees her as a living being, rather than an object.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Why would it be a bad thing for you to want an animal to help with depresion? Many doctors reccomend animal therapy to help with high blood pressure, depression, and other health issues. You are just self medicating, we all do it with asprin and sinus meds. Why not pets? "Take two beardies and call me in the morning." :laughhard:
But seriously- You have to do what you feel is right. I say rescue the dragon-if you can afford to, just my two cents worth.

Sandy H

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
dolcedragon":07153 said:
My family & friends are giving me heck b/c they think I'm just wanting another pet to make me feel better b/c some depressing things have happened in my life lately. I told them no, I really think this bearded needs help. They say that not everyone can treat their beardie like I do and that if she was really so abused then how did she live to be four years old?

...This sounds awful to me, but my family & friends argue, saying it's fine and not everyone is as passionate as me. Be honest. Am I stupid for wanting to "save" her?

You are absolutely not stupid!
After I lost Dex I was devastated and didnt think i could handle losing another dragon. But nursing and caring for Dex, even when she was very ill, gave me so much comfort and joy.
To your family and friends who think you may just want to nurse something to help you recover from some trauma in your life, you can tell them that caring for a creature is one of the most therapeutic things you can do.
This summer my father was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. If it wasnt for Dex I wouldnt have made it. Having a little life to nurse and adore is priceless for ones mental health. Dex got me through it and I will remember her for that always.

When I lost Dex my family and friends saw how utterly devastated I was, so when I said I had rescued another dragon in a worse condition they couldnt believe it.
They told me I was being emotional and foolish, and asked me why I didnt get a "proper" dragon insted of a rescue. My mother was incredibly distressed and just kept asking me what would I do if Ruben doesnt make it??
I adore my family, but only those who have experienced the love of a reptile can ever understand the connection you forge.

They also cannot understand how painful it is to know there are dragons out there suffering because of ignorant stores and breeders. They dont know the passion we feel for these little lives and the desire to improve them, even if we can only offer them comfort in their final days.

Id say dont pay them any more and keep reminding them of the care you can provide, although I understand if you feel drawn to this dragon you will do what you can to get her.

I hope and pray that these ignorant owners end up letting your take her.

Holly

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I went over my finances. If I could just afford to get her I would have no problem with the cost of caring for her. Veggies and greens come in bundles and bags that my two can never eat before they go bad and go to waste so a third dragon wouldn't cost anymore on that. The people at the local pet store know me and give me great deals all the time. As a vet assistant all my vet bills are free.
But the owners had gotten so tired of me hassling them they had stopped responding! :shock: I tried one more time to negotiate these people to a fair price. I pointed out that this bearded was not of any impressive lineage or morph and at this time of year they were not likely to get any other offers. I got lucky. :D The owners were having medical problems and finally said just take her, the 55 breeder tank, the custom stand, everything for $200 as soon as you can. VERY reasonable at last! Yea! :blob8: :blob8:
I am picking her up Sunday! I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. I have carefully explained to Harlee and Daliz that the new girl will need extra attention at first but they will all be loved equally. :love5: :)
I have decided not to care what my family and friends think about it; these little guys make me happy and that's what matters. It's a 3 & 1/2 hour drive I'm sure hubby will not be happy about. And because new dragon has not been handled I am sure to get bitten a couple times at first, but I don't care!! I'm so HAPPY!! :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: I will make sure she gets the home she always deserved.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
:D Thats wonderful news!I am so happy you will be able to give her a good home and that it all worked out for you.Congratulations :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom