Brumation while dehydrated.

Borje

My bearded dragon Lizzy has been hiding a lot lately and im guessing its brumation time. Lizzy have had problems with parasites for some time now but it seems like its all under control. This has caused her to become dehydrated, she has sunken eyes, wrinkly skin and diarrhoea non-stop. Ive read that they should not go into brumation dehydrated and i need help on how to fix this. Is there any way to easily give her water?

Maybe dropping an insect in the water or something like that. I would really need help, thanks. 🙂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Use an eyedropper to drip it on her snout. She should start lapping it up. If she doesn't you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice or punch to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down her chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in her scales. Go slow and at her pace. Don't try to force it, you could aspirate her if you do.

Borje

Original Poster
Use an eyedropper to drip it on her snout. She should start lapping it up. If she doesn't you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice or punch to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down her chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in her scales. Go slow and at her pace. Don't try to force it, you could aspirate her if you do.
She did not get the water when we dripped it on her snout. She ate a little bit of paprika and 4 wet cockroaches though. 🙂

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I mix a little bee pollen in the water and put it in a dropper. Squirt just enough out that it rounds at the tip, but doesn't drip. Touch the water to her snout, but don't let the dropper touch. Hold it there. It may take a while, but eventually she should lick it. And the bee pollen is tasty to beardies.

Borje

Original Poster
What kind of others?
I think I know why she has diarrhea. Lizzy has been getting a LOT of endive because I was told it could be given daily. I have been searching on the internet and it says endive contains a lot of water. Lizzy has no other symptoms other than diarrhea and sunken eyes, she has a huge appetite and moves around often which made me think the cause could be the salad she gets.

I offer her a lot of vegetables and fruits:
- Raspberry
- Endive
- Carrot
- Arugula
- Blueberry
- Apple
- Haricots verts (green beans)
- Cress

She mostly gets arugula and endive and then 1 or 2 others that she hasn't been getting for a week etc. Lizzy has no problems eating her salad at all, she loves it. Im quite new to this so any help is appreciated. Im guessing she is overhydrated not dehydrated and that's why she has diarrhea and sunken eyes.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think I know why she has diarrhea. Lizzy has been getting a LOT of endive because I was told it could be given daily. I have been searching on the internet and it says endive contains a lot of water. Lizzy has no other symptoms other than diarrhea and sunken eyes, she has a huge appetite and moves around often which made me think the cause could be the salad she gets.

I offer her a lot of vegetables and fruits:
- Raspberry
- Endive
- Carrot
- Arugula
- Blueberry
- Apple
- Haricots verts (green beans)
- Cress

She mostly gets arugula and endive and then 1 or 2 others that she hasn't been getting for a week etc. Lizzy has no problems eating her salad at all, she loves it. Im quite new to this so any help is appreciated. Im guessing she is overhydrated not dehydrated and that's why she has diarrhea and sunken eyes.
Ok we need to see if dehydration causes sunken eyes - I am not sure --
@Drache613

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom