Brumation VS. Illness-Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

danield

Hey Everyone,
I'm a fist time beardie owner. Have had my little girl Oly since August. She's been wonderful, got comfortable with me very quickly and seems to enjoy our interactions.

I've been reading a lot about brumation and illness and I know it can be difficult to tell the difference but I'm hoping someone can give some incite...I do plan on getting her a fecal (any recommendations for a vet in NYC?) but I can't get to a vet until tuesday (i manage a gift store and it's christmas so I've been spending 12 hours a day there).

She's spending most of her time hiding under her log. But she doesn't seem to be sleeping so much as just kind of hanging out watching me. Another thing I noticed is that her eyes aren't as big as they normally are which I know can be a sign of illness. She's pooping regularly. She has slowed her eating (she's generally quite ravenous) but she's finishing her food every day. Sometimes I find her outside of her log acting just fine, even wide eyed. Not energetic but at least not ill. But she keeps going back to her log. It's her eyes that have me mostly concerned. She's not dehydrated. I bathe her every morning because she doesn't like to poop in her tank and I'd rather she not poop on my stuff. So I give her baths so that she poops in that. Her poops look fine. I also mist her salad. Her tank is 105 on the hot side and about 85-90 on the cool. I THINK she's coming out to bask but I can't be sure as I've been at work most of the time. I feed her salad every day and worms and crickets a few times a week, 3-4. I've kept the same diet since August so I don't think that's causing a problem.

I've heard varying stories about Brumation, even some similar to mine about them hiding a lot and then snapping out of it all of a sudden. I don't know maybe I'm just looking for validation that she's fine. As I said I do plan to get a fecal done, but I'm wondering what people have to say about this. Does she sound definitly sick? or is she most likely just slowing down for the season? At least she's eating. I know they all brumate a bit differently, has anyone had a beardie that just chilled and hid a lot?

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
It sounds like you may need to take the hide away from her during the day. Beardies do not need a hide at all, just a place that is out of DIRECT light. If you have a hammock in there, she can go under the hammock and be out of the direct heat but still get a decent dose of UVB.

I think she's ok, just slowing down for the winter. A fecal test is definitely a good idea though, no matter if she's acting sick or not. I get fecals on all my beardies as soon as I get them just to be sure :)

danield

Original Poster
Yeah I was wondering about the hide removal thing. I've read about that, it seems like a controversial subject. How do other people feel about removing the hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom