Brumation preparations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoSyd

My Pogo has brumated twice since I got her as a baby with no issues, but I'd appreciate some advice anyway just for ease of mind. Also to confirm that she is, in fact, preparing to brumate rather than some other problem.

The past few weeks she's been hanging out in the cramped space between her tank and the wall instead of basking under her lamp inside of it. Within minutes of me releasing her to run around the room, like she usually does, she goes straight back there and stays put the rest of the day. She's usually still awake when I check, but she's definitely falling asleep earlier and earlier. She definitely appears healthy, since she's alert and moving the same way she always does, and she still eats her bugs/greens whenever I put her back into her tank. I don't have to force her to eat.

Is this brumation behavior? Should I stop feeding her right away, or gradually reduce the amount of food? Does she need to poop before settling down (I was thinking of inducing it by giving her a bath)? Should I take her to a vet to check for parasites first?

During the brumation period, should I cover the tank so it's dark? Would light disrupt her? How do I tell if she's done (and I can turn her heat/UVB back on) or just awake briefly for some water or something?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! I just want to help Pogo be as comfortable as possible, instead of winging it like I have in the past.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like she is slowing down-- does she have a hide? If not please get one --- do not cover the tank - carry on like you normally do -- make sure she is hydrated if she does go into sleeping for long periods of time - keep a weight on her so she is not losing but sustaining weight - she might lose a little but you do not want her losing alot of weight - I would get a weight on her now and keep track of it - weigh on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams -- if she is sleeping a lot you can turn her lights off earlier --- if she comes out during this time offer her food and water -- they say no longer than 3 months for brumation - if it goes longer then there is a issue- they all brumate at different times - if you think she has parasites which it does not sound like she does then I would not worry about it - does she poop regularly- if so dont worry about it --
Karrie

PogoSyd

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie! Her poop is pretty regular, nothing changed there. She DOES have a hide, but she almost never uses it, even when she's active. She usually likes to sleep either in the open in her tank or somewhere around my room. Should I place her in her tank or just let her sleep wherever?

I read conflicting stories online about how to handle the lights. Some people say to turn them off entirely, while others say to have them on a shorter cycle. They seem similarly divided on whether to let their beardies sleep uninterrupted (with a water bowl nearby, just in case), or to take them out every week or so for baths, feeding, etc.. Which is the better way? Is either approach fine?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have heard that about the lights I personally would run them but maybe shorter cycles -- its going to keep them aware of the times - like day time nite time -- if shes sleeping alot now I would leave her in the tank and let her be -- I would bring her out every 10 days or so offer water or drip water on her nose however she usually drinks and weigh her at that time -- place her back under her basking light and if she stays she does she may not and go crawl back up in her sleeping place - you can also offer food at that time see if she will eat if she doesnt she doesnt but atleast it was offered
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom