Brumation or something to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
My adult 2 year old Bearded dragon has not basked for the past few days. His temps are fine and lights are under 6 months. I have only had him for a few months so I do not know his brumation patterns. If he ever has before? He is laying down next to his basking spot on the floor a lot. If I put him on his basking spot he just lays there. I had him out for awhile Friday and he just sat by the window. He usually explores. I tested his appetite and he ate normally. Usually if I hold him for too long he gets antsy and wants to run around, but lately hes been resting on me. I checked out the blog on brumation, but I just wanted to confirm it couldn't be anything else. His eyes seem very heavy or 'sleepy'.
What does this sound like to you?
Thanks!

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would just hope he doesn't have something bad that could cause him to act that way...

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
I suggest having a fecal done to check for parasites. Can be hard to tell by any other means whether or not they are carrying a parasite load that may be causing them problems.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I also recommend the fecal. This lethargy sounds like Zero just a couple weeks ago. He had 4+ count Coccidia and Round Worm. Now that he's off his meds, I can barely get him to sit still to eat. The fecal would be your best bet to see any internal nasties that could be causing your baby to be so blah.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I contacted Cheryl from Rio Reptiles and she said to print out a form at the bottom of the page after following a link for fecal testing. I can't find the link :( Anyone know?

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And where did you get your medicine? Is there a reasonable place? My reptile vet charges me an arm and a leg no matter what it may be. :?

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I got my meds from my vet. The meds were like, $10. It was the $70 for teh exam and the $50 for the fecal that sucked. I believe you can purchase the meds off beardeddragon.co

I also hear if you ask Cheryl to do your fecal, she'll send you the meds and do the fecal at a lower cost than if a vet were to do it.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
dern, that is expensive! i got the whole deal incl a very complete exam for $50. probably will have to pay for meds at the second and final dosage, but that will be less than 10. i guess that's california for ya!

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Yea basically. And the fact that exotic vets are hard to come by, so some capitolize on that. It could also be that they don't use their machinery enough so they have to make it worth their while. Who knows haha

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How would you suggest I take it? I know I can get him to poop in warm water. Do you just pick it up with something out of the water or..?

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Fecal exams are best taken as soon as possible, sealed in a ziplock bag, and put in the refrigerator. If you're mailing it to Cheryl, ask her how she suggests you keep it fresh in the mail. If your baby only poops in the water, try and keep as much water as you can out of the baggie I would assume. Zero only poops in his viv, so I didn't have to worry about water.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If your beardie poops in the water, use a small strainer. I use a fine mesh one and that's the only use I have for it. Cheryl will tell you exactly how to put it together, I know quite a few people who go through Cheryl for fecals and she'll send you the meds you need for your beardie, too, all for a lot less than a vet. I'm just very fortunate that my vet is less expensive than most and if I take in more than one beardie (I have six!) she charges 1/2 the price for the 2nd onwards. I've taken in 3 at a time, in separate holders (I use gym bags with large shoeboxes inside and wrap them in their warm blankies) and that's always worked. Last time I went in, 3 beardies checked, a fecal for another one and meds was $141. Still expensive, but as I'm in Canada, better than through the mail, just on shipping costs.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
I think I'm going to try her, if for no other reason than a second opinion! Great service she offers!

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all for your help!
Cheryl suggested putting a lid or something under him as he goes.
How should I ship poop? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom