brought home a monitor; Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so glad he is getting such good care.

I'm not sure if you could expect him to just be walking around, though. Esham has a pretty good disposition (for a Savannah!) and he stays in his hide 80% of the time. They are kind of uptight animals. Occasionally, Esham will come out and pace around his viv, and dig a bit, but they are not social animals. He does hang out when we are around, but not a lot.. Other than that, we take him out for walks and he loves to swim in the bath tub. He is so fun, and kind of sweet, when he's in the tub.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Ohhh I'm glad he pooped for you! That's a good sign that he's getting something in him. Keep up the love - you are soo good at it!

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
i have to say, hes looking much much better then when you first showed us the pics of him. . . best wishes to you

atreyu917

Juvie Member
His new pictures definitely show mucho improvement! Good job Jason! I'm so excited for you and Atlas!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jason,

It looks like Atlas is doing so much better! :blob5:
Great that he has gone to the bathroom some now also. Keep pushing the fluids into him, as much as you can. He looks better than when you brought him home.
I am SO infuriated with the person who neglected him. :cry:
Keep up the great work!

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
he hasnt been looking so good lately :( . all he'll take is a little pedialyte/water when hes bathing, no puppyfood, no cricket goo, nothing... ive been talking to this guy out here who rehabs and rehomes moniters. he was first weary to take Atlas because he was worried about quarentine(i guess he has a reptile room with 8 or 9 healthy moniters)... when i told him he was only a foot long though that changed things a little. i guess hes going to put him somewhere else in his house. he said he can probably take him this week, maybe sooner if i can bring him out there.

it will be a surrender and i cant get him back but he promised me he wont put him to sleep. hes going to try metronidazole and some kind of injection.

does this sound like the right thing to do? im cirtain this guy has the experience, though i really dont know him at all.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
:( I wish I could take him.. I can't imagine how hard it is to take care of so many big, aggressive monitors. They just take so much care...
Although, I am so grateful for places like this. If it weren't people like them, we all know where these lovely animals would end up...

All in all, it's good that there are people willing to commit to his long term care (and someone who is willing to help him right now :D ).
I hope the best for Atlas. Please be sure to give us some farewell pics before you take him to the shelter!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Jason I know you wish you could help Atlas more, but if this guy might be able to be of more help to him
due to his experience then I think your doing the right thing.
After all your main objective was to do your best to get Atlas healthy.

Maybe this guy would agree to at least keep you updated.
Maybe he would agree to send you a pic once in awhile so you will not feel so bad for giving him up.

Rosebud

Gray-bearded Member
Hon, short of sending him to me, it sounds like your only option. I don't know why he would want to start meds on him without a positive reason, but he needs an experienced rehabber, as I have said from the beginning. People with very little experience can bring reptiles back on their own if the animal is not in such bad shape, but it takes experience with certain medical procedures to help a lizard in that shape. You can still send him to me, but short of that, this guy is really his only other chance. I just hope he knows how to tube and do subcutaneous fluid injection.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
im off for work right now but i will ask him about that.

i would like him to go to you but hes so weak and it scares me to think of him in the mail. i cant picture him surviving in a sealed box riding in a hot truck, going through sorting and handling...

if driving was an option i would do it without a thought but i live in california and you in texas. plus i dont have a liscense right now so that puts a stopper on things...

Rosebud

Gray-bearded Member
If he is that weak, and you don't do something ASAP, he will die anyway. Please either pack him and send to me or get him to that guy. He doesn't have much longer, and the longer he stays in that state, the more damage is being done to his kidneys, his liver, his heart and his brain. He just can't go on like that. I hate to sound hard, Jason, but you need to make up your mind and do something or he will die.

Is there a bus service to that guy's area or to a PO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom