brought home a monitor; Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thanks so much for all the help. i can see you truely care for these animals :wink: .

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Jason- My prayers are with your new little one. Katherine will add hers in the AM I'm sure. You are an inspiration to us all. Did he come with a name?

Sandy H

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
i was thinking of names and i kind of like Atlas. if a name can bring strength that should do it :D .

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thanks :D . he is doing alright, hes just laying under the hot spot right now. i mist him every so often so his skin doent dry and crack. i need to go to the store today after i get paid and buy some electrolyte formula for him. appearently he is so dehydrated that even the repa-aid id too much for him to handle. i have to get some liquid in him today or we're in trouble.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I like the name Atlas for him. :D
Let us know how it goes getting the electrolytes in him. :wink:

You an Atlas are in my thoughts and prayers. :)

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Sending more monitor magic to you. I wish I could help but don't think my arms will reach!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thanks you two, i just wanted to let you know i got him to drink this morning. he probably got about 20 good sips down over the coarse of 5-10 minutes.

this evening im going to bring home some electrolyte formula and start him on that.

thanks again to everyone whos pulling for this guy :wink: .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jason,

I know you are trying your best & he is appreciative of all of your efforts!
GREAT to hear that he took in some fluids. It is going to be a long road for him, but I know he can do it.
That product for the electrolyte sounds fine to me as well.
The problem some people had stated regarding pedialyte is that they would buy a huge bottle only to have it go bad before they could use it all.
I have personally never used the hydrolife but have not heard anything bad about the product either. As long as it has electrolytes in it he will benefit from it.
Atlas is a great name! :D
How many days have you had him now? Has he gone to the bathroom yet?

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
hi tracie, thanks for your support. he has gone to the bathroom a couple times but that was 2 days ago. hopefully the fluids he got today will jumpstart his digestive system.

i talked to Rosebud who was very helpfull; she recomended i get in touch with a local reptile rehab place. well i called the guy today and it sounds like he might be able to take him. hes just worried about quarentining him, he has several other moniters he doesnt want affected. im going to hold on to him for a couple more days and then drive out to him(20min drive).

i really hope he pulls through.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Oh man, I just saw this thread. As a sav owner, I am just sick over this... Thanks for taking such good care of him. If the crickets seem like too much, you may try eggs. Esham loves his eggs. I boil them just like you would for a human. Some people give them yolks, but I remove them. You can cut them into bite size pieces. The smell alone is enticing for them. They have protein and fats, so it should help him bulk up without being too tough. In fact, it might be a good idea to give him yolk. (One of the main reasons savs die early is from obesity..). I have never seen our Savannah drink, so good for you for getting him to drink.. Give him a nice, big water dish, they like to soak on their own, plus they poop in their water, usually. So, of course, you would have to change it daily. Also, they have locking-type jaws.. I mean, sometimes, Esham gets a hold of his leash and it's a fight to get him to let go. They have crushing jaws, so force-feeding is going to be a pain..

He looks so sickly; how is he doing now? I would take him off your hands in a heartbeat, but California is a bit far :(

Thanks so much for taking care of him. We have had our monitor for almost two years, so I can try to help if you have other questions.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
well i got that pedialyte today. i put 1/2 hot water, 1/2 pedialyte into a rectangular container. it evened out to lukewarm. i used an eyedropper to "baste" him with the solution. every so often i tried putting it in his mouth but he didnt take any. it seems he like pure water alot more than the 1/2 and 1/2 solution. he ended up pooping in the water about 15 minutes into the bath so i took him out. he rested under the heat light until he dried off. after that he crawled into his cigar box and went to bed.

im gonna get his kidneys going by giving him fluids then ill move up to solid foods. im afraid ill damage his kidneys if i rush it.

thanks again everyone, i appreciate the support :wink: .

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
hes hanging in there. ive been soaking him in a 50/50 mixture of warm water and unflavored pedialyte. today i actually got him to drink some of the pedialyte solution.

everything else is optimal, he has a 5% uvb light 8-9" away at the basking side. tonight i replaced his 40watt house light(no uv) with a 50watt sunglo(uv-a). his basking spot is at 95F, cool side 82F. i soak him in the pedialyte solution at least twice a day and offer liquids orally just as often.

i plan on moving him up to puppyfood when he starts moving around more, which hopefully isnt too far off.

he poops alittle every day, but not very much. hopefully one day soon ill come home and see him walking around with his head up :| .

PICTURES
sorry i havent posted pics of him in a while. hes doing a little better so i think that warrants a couple pics:

sav1.jpg

sav2.jpg

pic #2 is my personal fav. i took some more but they were so unfocused it wasnt really worth uploading them. ill try to take a video of bathtime somehow, set my phone on its side or something :roll: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom