Broken baby tails :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Since they came out of the egg that way they might not loose their tails. Keep a close watch on them though.
They may take a few days to start eating as well as they should. I used a small fish net to herd the crix to Bogie when he was small. That way he could pick them off as they ran by. Lazy lizard! :lol: I agree you need to up their feedings to 3 times a day.
When you bathed them did you put a washcloth in the bottom for them to grip? It will make them relax a bit. I also put a small rock in there for him to climb on and off. You can use a small shoe box size plastic box for their tub for awhile. They will be more comfy in it. Bogie now loves his bath, he swims and splashes and dives off a much bigger rock. Give them time. Good luck and Merry Christmas. :D

Sandy H

abbysa

Original Poster
Thank you!!

Yes I did put a cloth in the bath. They still wasnt a big fan of it though. When I got my first beardie he was already 2 or 3 months old and more than twice the size of these two.

I left crickets in the tank most of today, but only saw them eat one each. But I think their tummys can only take 1 at a time at the moment. The crickets run under the paper the whole time. Going to think of a way to stop that tomorrow!

They are very happy and bask alot and are very active.

Thank you for your comments, they are helping alot.

Hope everyone has a great festive season!!!

Abby x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Abby,

So they were born with those "kinks"? If so, then they are from a pairing that was either inbred or the mother was severely calcium deficient. Those kinks will not straighten out though, unfortunately.
What type of calcium are you giving? Is it liquid I assume? How much are you giving?
The Reptiglo 8 is an ok bulb, but, it does need to be within 6-8 inches from it for maximal exposure. The basking light, make sure that it is placed directly beside the UVB light to ensure that while they are basking they will get UVB as well.
I personally think that if your tank is large enough you should get a mercury vapor bulb. However, you should probably separate them soon if any signs of aggression are being seen. You could wait for awhile to do that though since you just got them.
You also should try to increase the basking temps just a bit as well. The babies need a little higher basking temps than the adults, say try to bump them to 105 that will help their activity levels.
You could order some liquid calcium from http://www.beautifuldragons.com to help them out with absorbing more calcium for a little while.
I would give them a couple of weeks before taking them to the vet, unless they are acting ill. I would recommend an x-ray though to see the bone density, though they are pretty small so I am not sure how clear they would be able to see any bones.
They are VERY tiny for sure. They should begin eating pretty soon, but increasing the temps should help quite a bit. Maybe you could try to get some phoenix worms for some other feeder in conjunction with the crickets.

Let us know how they are doing. Have they gone to the bathroom yet?

Tracie

abbysa

Original Poster
Thank you again for the advice!

The calcium is powder that is being dusted on the crix. They are pooping every day!! Last night they ate another cicket each. I just think that their tummys are really tiny! I did turn the basking temp up to 102. They are very active and are always looking at whats going on.

Every few days I will post pics to show their progress.

thanks again for everyones words and advice!! Its helping alot! (even though there are mixed thoughts about the tails)

Abby x

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
You most deffinatly can take them out to anther place to feed them. I use to put judah in a little 12 pac soda carton for glass bottles. It was sorta tall so it took longer for the crickets to climb out. It was much easier for him to catch them in there. He also came with sand in his viv for his former owner and I didn't want to feed him in the sand. You should feed them apart so that each one can get as many as they need, and there won't be any niping or such. It is also less stressful for them if they don't have to compeat with a sibling for food.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Abby!

How are things going with them today? Has their eating picked up any? I hope so.
I agree, feeding them separately is the best just so their is no competition right now. Just use a plastic bin that is clear & place them one at a time in there with a few crickets at a time, to see if they will eat them that way.
So increasing the basking temperatures seems to have helped out right now?

Tracie

abbysa

Original Poster
Hi all!

The babies are doing good. They are eating crix, but still only 1 or 2 a day. But they still poop alot and we are noticing them grow quickly!! Yay :blob8:

I will take some more pics later today!!!

Abby x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mark & Abby,

GREAT that the babies are doing so much better! :blob5: They should start eating much better for you hopefully soon. We are waiting for the pictures.

Tracie

abbysa

Original Poster
As promised!!! More pics :blob5:

31122008355.jpg

31122008356.jpg

31122008357.jpg

Bath time!!!! :blob8:
31122008363.jpg

31122008364.jpg

31122008365.jpg

31122008366.jpg

31122008367.jpg

And my other baby just shed, well the legs did, not the body yet. But I looooove the colour!!!
31122008358.jpg

31122008359.jpg

31122008360.jpg

31122008361.jpg

31122008362.jpg

Hope you enjoy!!!!

Abby x

dreshany

Hatchling Member
abbysa":9996a said:
Ok, so i put them in a tub with 7 crix, came back an hour later and there was still 7 crix :(

Sorry it's been a while since I have read this post. I know my juv beardie would not eat in a different container and was also scared of the crix when I put them in there with him. Unfortunately, my baby is on a liquid diet now but I was planning on helping him adjust slowly to a new feeding viv. You could try and place the babies in the feeding viv for a few minutes each day, without adding any feeders. This way they can have time to adjust to the new surroundings. Once they have gotten used to their new place add just one or two crix. Perry totally freaked if I added too many crickets. I empathize because I absolutely hate having to catch uneaten crix from their viv!

abbysa

Original Poster
They are now starting to show signs of dominance :(

So tomorrow the viv will get split into 2.

Abby x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Abby,

They are showing signs of dominance now? Yeah, time to separate them, sorry. You definitely don't want any injuries to add to their problems already.
How are they doing now?

Tracie

abbysa

Original Poster
Hi Tracie

They isn't a more dominant one yet, but they both try their luck chasing each other off the basking spot. Which is then followed by some arm waving. But everytime its a different dragon. Its only happened a few times. Me and the bf are going to split them up today.

Otherwise they are doing good. I can wait for them to grow a little more!!

Abby x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom