Breeding feeders for a reptile shop. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I planned on buying a very large already established two tub dubia colony. I only had one beardy so I asked on cl if anyone else in the area might be wanting to purchase some on a regular basis to keep the population in control. Because I also wanted to breed supers for my little love. Anyways so this lady emails me and says she has a small reptile shop. And would love it if I could keep her a steady supply of: wax worms, meal worms, crickets of all sizes, dubia, silk worms, horned blue, and two types of racers. She doesn't seem like she'd be bothered by the wait for any of these, or if I chose not to do some. I was also thinking about doing minnows and goldfish just cuz another guy asked for that and I want a few garters anyways. My question is, which ones are the most worth their keep. Dubias and supers are kinda a definite because norbert loves them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like it would take quite a bit of work to supply a shop with those bugs. You'd want to consider what you'd do with extras if you wind up breeding more than the single shop can move. I might try focusing on a couple of feeders to begin with and see how that goes. If it works out well, then try adding some additional bugs to the collection a little at a time. I'd start with maybe dubia and crickets and some supers and maybe add silks seasonally and go from there but it depends on your current setup and how much time/space you have to dedicate to it.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
I was thinking dubia, supers, and crickets, also minnows but never to be fed to norbert. And I couldn't decide if silks, meals, or waxes would be easier but I'd be willing to take on at least one more. I mostly just need something to take up my time. And I figured if I decided I wanted a job instead I'd just sell off the colonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom