Breeders who sell adults: Plz post no one's responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eragon12

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this. But can I have a list of breeders who sell adults? I'm interested in getting a beardie but don't want a young juvenile. I would be interested in a sub-adult as well no less than 11-12". Anybody know of good reasonably priced breeders? Please respond as most of my posts are being ignored.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I would look on Fauna classifieds. We got a 3 year old female from a breeder in Florida on there in December. It's not too common to find breeders selling adults, as most people are looking for younger dragons, that may be why no one responded! :| I have seen quite a few adults on Fauna, though.

Loredo12

If you take a look in the for sale section here, Gail has some adult beardies that need homes, our male will be here on Friday.

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Youll find them often on faunua, but tthey have a price tag to match. They do pop up though just need to keep an eye out

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Have you considered adopting an older beardie, taking one that some one is trying to rehome or taking in a rehabilitated rescue? People often don't realize how much of an investment bearded dragons are, and so they end up neglected, or put up for "adoption" on Craig's List or surrendered to pet stores, rescues or those poor good samaritans who can't say no to a beardie in need. I am not against breeders by any means, but if you are looking for an adult, why not give one a fresh start?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
AtlasStrike":333xhni8 said:
Have you considered adopting an older beardie, taking one that some one is trying to rehome or taking in a rehabilitated rescue? People often don't realize how much of an investment bearded dragons are, and so they end up neglected, or put up for "adoption" on Craig's List or surrendered to pet stores, rescues or those poor good samaritans who can't say no to a beardie in need. I am not against breeders by any means, but if you are looking for an adult, why not give one a fresh start?

Rescue beardies can be a difficult first beardie, and getting a nice, healthy beardie from a breeder is probably the smartest thing for a new owner to do. Unless the rescue is well rehabilitated and doesn't have any hidden health problems, it would be really wise for the OP to get something that has been well cared for. There can be hidded health problems in rescues that can lead to sickness later, so I would like to add to your post that the OP should know ahead of time that taking in a bearded dragon that has not had proper lighting or nutrition/supplements in its life can mean that the dragon they take may not live as long as one that they get who has always been well.

It can be really heartbreaking and frustrating to get an adult that was neglected and have it die just one or two years later from organ failure due to early MBD that was reversed. I've had this talk with a few people on this forum who took in a neglected animal, and while they did give it a year or two of a good life, the OP may be wanting a reptile that they will spend a good 5-7 years with as a member of their family.

I would go with a healthy first beardie, and if they want to help out another in the future, they will at least know what they are getting into. Especially if there are children involved. It's got to be hard to explain why their first bearded dragon died so soon. (I hope this post is taken in the light of helpful information to consider, because I 100% believe that rescues deserve a second chance, as long as the new owner is aware of potential failure to thrive at some point, due to no fault of their own.)

Eragon12

Original Poster
Thank you again everyone who replied to my post.

Shannybeard- Thanks for the fauna suggestion and the post about potential health problems that may or may not come with rescuing an adult beardie. I am totally for adopting a rescue beardie as I do believe in second chances and adoption in general, however you are correct in your assumption for a first beardie I'd rather have one that I know is healthy as my very first pet. I don't have immediate plans to get a beardie as I am still doing lots of research right now but in the somewhat distant future I plan on getting a dragon.

Atlasstrike- thank you for posting and I do like adopting over buying but I would hate to become frustrated or financially burdened by a sickly dragon that seemed healthy at first. I have had brief experience with an older dragon during an internship but he was healthy. I'd prefer as healthy a dragon as possible, but if a healthy dragon was posted on CL that has a proper upbringing but the owners no longer have time for it anymore I'd definitely consider it.

Kaco- thanks for your posting about fauna classifieds too. :)

I just wanted to post a little more of my background. I am a zoology major with no children. I worked with an non-profit wildlife organization and did get my first hands-on experiences with reptiles that became educational animals (eastern box turtle, corn snakes and a super laid back beardie) I was involved in their daily caretaking but by no means would I consider myself "experienced." I currently work at a vet hosptial and know first hand what neglect looks like. I am not going to get a dragon without careful, planned research and budgeting. I have considered owning a chameleon, crested gecko, dart frogs but ultimately I wanted my first reptile to be one that I could interact with on a regular basis and not totally stress it out. I also love their individual personalities and docile nature. I originally wanted a baby as most people do but then I read how owners worry about their baby, their ravenous eating tendencies and other little minor things like skittishness, hormones, etc and thought wow they're very high maintenance as baby/juvies. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get an adult to skip on maintenance and proper care by no means. But it would be nice to have a mellow dragon, one that doesn't eat so much and one where I don't have to worry whether a 40 gal breeder is too big for a baby (not too keen on wanting to buy two tanks for housing), and one who is on target for growth or already an adult so I won't be so paranoid as to my method of care being a newbie. Ultimately whatever age dragon I get he will be well cared for, and loved :wink: but from my experience with an adult beardie I do like them alot and prefer an adult or almost adult.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Eragon12":vtgchu2z said:
Shannybeard- Thanks for the fauna suggestion and the post about potential health problems that may or may not come with rescuing an adult beardie. I am totally for adopting a rescue beardie as I do believe in second chances and adoption in general, however you are correct in your assumption for a first beardie I'd rather have one that I know is healthy as my very first pet. I don't have immediate plans to get a beardie as I am still doing lots of research right now but in the somewhat distant future I plan on getting a dragon.

You sound like an awesome person. My sister is in a zoology/herpatology program in college and I have some teensy jealousy that I didn't go that path. She is always doing something so cool, and here I am working in an office. LOL!!!

While I felt bad posting about the unknown health problems and uncertainty of getting rescue or previously neglected bearded dragons, I still needed to tell you how I feel. The reason is because I have a personal experience that was heartbreaking.

I took in a large green iguana from someone who could no longer care for it. She had it by a window so it could get its UVB. It didn't have proper bulbs or lighting, but it had a really nice cage and it looked fine to me. We didn't have the glorious internet back then, as this was the mid-1990's and the internet wasn't a household thing like it is now. I couldn't just go on and post on a forum and get my questions answered. This was a big, beautiful green lizard that had started to decline and wasn't really eating, so the person thought if she gave it to someone who could feed it better then it would perk up. I took it since I was vegetarian and I could easily give it a varied diet.

IT DIED. I did everything I could or what I thought I could do...I don't know. When I came home and he was dead after I had it for a few months I broke down. I hated myself. I cried so hard. I said I would NEVER have another reptile, ever ever ever ever ever. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I've always felt terrible over this iguana.

When my sister suggested that we get a bearded dragon I said I didn't want to because I would just kill it. Honestly, the iguana that I had taken in hadn't had any UVB for a long time, and he wasn't going to pull through. I understand that now. He probably had organ failure and we didn't see it. His face/jaw did have some strangeness to it, so it was MBD. I struggled with the thought of killing another animal.

BUT guess what? I have 6 beloved beardies, a gecko, anoles, a frog and a blue tongue skink. They are all healthy and happy and flourishing. I almost didn't get another reptile. I'm so glad that I did.

While reptiles deserve a second chance, we have to really know what we are getting into before we try to give it to them, because it may not be the right thing to do, even though it seems like it would be.

Eragon12

Original Poster
Thank you Shannybeard for posting your story. It definitely will shed light to other posters as why you were giving a cautionary response. I am so sorry for your loss and can already tell that your iguana was loved. You are correct with pets seeming completely healthy to the naked eye but under deeper inspection there may be a problem. I adopted my dog who was virtually healthy despite how aweful his conditions were when he came into this world, and as a side effect he has a sensitive stomach and can't eat certain foods and has to be transitioned to new foods rather carefully and even with that he vomits randomly. So I totally get it. I appreciate your post and hope others who come across this posting will too. I'd love to luck up with a 100% healthy rescue and it's possible but I don't know my odds. Thank you for your compliment too :D I do my best to provide proper care for my pets and do my very best to not jump into something on impulse. And I don't impulse without research :wink: You too seem like an awesome person and I hope I can get advice from you in the future. Oh and it's never too late to switch your career path, your journey could be inspiration to another who didn't take the direct route :D :D :D

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I guess, when I think of adopting, I think of the reptile store near me that takes in surrenders. At any given time they have between 8-10 adults in need of homes. Most of them are adult normals with no symptoms of MBD, or anything else, but who's owners just decided they didn't want to care for them anymore. Surrenders, in my experience tend to be a bit better off than many of the rescues because their owners acknowledge their inadequate care, and don't try to make money off the situation.
Beardies are pretty hardy little critters, and while there is no health guarantee accompanying adoption, buying from even the most reputable breeder does not preclude health problems. Many people are looking to rehome healthy dragons every day, often for little or no cost. I'd rather take on a dragon looking for a home, than take an adult from a breeder who already has a good home.

Eragon12

Original Poster
Atlasstrike- you're scenario would be an ideal situaton. I would say sign me up! But I don't have a local reptile store that takes in surrenders or even one I can buy supplies from, so the likelihood of being in that kind of situation is slim. Thank you for your clarification on surrender and rescue. I don't know when I'll be getting my beardie but if your local reptile store was willing to ship in order to find those adults a good home I'd be interested in their contact information. :D

If I were you, I would go to this site: bloodbankdragons.com/2012photos/feb27.htm I just ordered a dragon from there 3 days ago, and they are very helpful people, and also i think most of the dragons on that page are available, because they just updated it 3 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom