Breeder or Petstore for Ball python?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unique

Hatchling Member
I found out where petco was and went there today and held the ball python they had a baby one it was in pretty good shape their it seems they treat their animals right there alot alot better then petland, and even the bearded dragons had a big enclosure 2 in one enclousre one was really really active following me around as best as it could and the other one was sleeping. So I think it's safe to buy from them, but a second opinion couldn't hurt.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad to hear that you have a good pet store in your area. :D You are very lucky.

I would still go with a breeder. 90% of ball pythons in pet stores (even the good ones) are imported or captive hatched, meaning they will more likely than not have a whole host of mites, parasites, and other illnesses. Also, imports and CHs are usually very tricky to get to eat. Many refuse food altogether and require assist feeding or force feeding, which is extremely difficult and risky.

Also, you will find much better prices from a breeder.
Here are some great breeders. Guaranteed top-notch.
http://www.newenglandreptile.com/
http://www.bhbreptiles.com/
http://www.rcreptiles.com/

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
The main thing you need to think about is... if it's $30 at the store and has parasites it could cost you up to $100 or more to treat it and there's still no garantee it will make it through the medications.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Trust me, vet bills are something to avoid. These past few months I've been hit with everything; Budo's unbelievable number of parasites, and, of course, his MBD, then the snakes got parasites, respiratory infections, and now, mites all around! :shock: When will it end? I strongly urge you to buy from a reputable breeder. It will save so much time and money, and you will have a higher quality snake. In the past few months, I have spent well over $500 on vet bills.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
I definitely recommend a breeder over a pet store any day! Even reptile specialty stores can (and often do) have problems.

If you don't want to spend on shipping, do some Google searching to see if there are any breeders and/or reptile shows near you.

I wish I had some babies this year. I'd give you one for just the cost of shipping. :(

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I think theres one in November, I live in Iowa, but around November the roads get pretty bad cause of snow so yeah.

I would definately go with a breeder as a good breeder will give advice and be available if issues arise later. Also you may want to consider a morph like a pastel or Cinnamon pastel. While the morphs are a little more expensive, you have to remember that ball Pythons are like chips, you will never be satisfied with just 1. Then you get 2 and you start thinking about breeding them as it really is not that hard.

We don't generally sell our normal male ball pythons to people we have to ship to as it just is not economical and we do sell them to a local pet store at whole sale prices. If you have your heart set on just a normal Captive Bred Male Ball Python though and were willing to wait till our next clutch hatches and we have the babies feeding well I'm sure we could work out a deal.

Radpythons.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom