Bonding with a Baby Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Was wondering if anyone has advice on bonding with a baby bearded dragon (1 month). At the moment he seems pretty scared of me. I'm just sort of letting him look at my finger, and then gently patting him. I did try hand feeding him, but he got pretty nervous and didn't eat anything. I want him to get used to me, but I also don't want to scare him!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Build up the physical contact slowly.

Maybe start with a daily bonding ritual that involves removing the little hatchling from his big tank/tub and placing it into a 30L tub for a few minutes while you do some spot cleaning, find and recover any rogue bugs that are hiding, then take him out and place him on your tummy / chest with your left hand gently cupped over his body and him facing you, you could then place a few small silkworms (1.5 inch long) or a BSF maggot (these are now available from a chap in QLD) about an inch from his nose but where he can see them , one at a time so he sees you are giver of yummies,
OR if feeding him crickets or woodies, you can take out a few , disable them by crushing their heads and then hand feed the first few bugs each day to him one at a time.... expect some accidential finger tip nips for the first 2 or 3 weeks while he gets the hang of the handfeeding lurk , pretty soon he'll be taking the bugs from your finger tips very daintily and may even be eager enough to open his mouth when he sees them coming.
They need coaxing initially with the handfeeding - I found that the hind hopper legs on crickets are good - I disabled the cricket (squish head) then pulled both the hopper legs (I refer them as drumsticks) and I start off by pushing the thick end of the drumstick into the side of the mouth , this gets the hatching chewing, then (and it's a matter of getting the timing right) I place the juicey squashed head (end) the cricket between the teeth mid chew .... good buy cricket....
Or I simply gently press the squished head (end) of the cricket against the front or near the front of the lips (this is you risk a finger tip nip if you are not paying attention) once the hatchling gets a taste and sniff of the cricket's guts, it will take it and eat it....

Also , spend a lot of time hanging with the hatchling and letting him observe you and hear you , and then introduce your hand (place on bedding near where he is and let him decide when he's ready to come to it,... of cause if the hand is open and upturned with a yummy grub or bug on it this will be very tempting to him and he'll come to the hand to collect the treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom