Bloody Urates and Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Hi! I wrote about some problems I was having with my beardie a few weeks ago. I believe she may be in a slight brumation but I'm not sure. She hasn't really been eating and has been very lethargic. Lately I noticed a swollen bloated belly and the past few days she's jumpy about me touching it. I've been soaking her and massaging her belly in warm water. She finally (after two weeks) went in her bath water tonight. It looked a little mucusy at first. Then the rest kept coming and some was bloody and the urates were bright red and lumpy. She's still looking pretty bloated. I tried to bag some of it but I wasn't too successful. It wasn't usually smelly. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? I'm getting really worried that it might not be all brumation and she could be sick. Especially now with the blood. She's also been keeping the eye nearest to the megaray closed (sometimes both are closed). Here's a little background:

4-5 years old female
75 gallon with tile
Megaray 160w sb with a 60w bulb next to that and a 100w on the cool side
Temps are about 105 on the basking site and I can't remember exactly but about 85 on the cool side taken with temp gun and digital probe
Calcium 3/week and multi 1/week when eating (which she's isn't really doing for awhile)
S/b eating collards, turnip and mustard greens with butternut squash and some blueberries with crickets or supers once a day or every other day when eating

Thanks!

Erin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

Yeah, bloody urates & stool are not good. It could be a kidney issue or hookworms or other parasites that are causing intestinal lining damage. Though it really worries me that you mentioned the urates were bloody. Can you get her to a vet?
How far is the Megaray 160watt light from her?
No, if it was brumation, she should not be allowed to go back into brumation with this problem.
What do you measure the temperatures with, that seems like a lot of wattage for a 75 gallon.

Tracie

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's about 16 inches from the megaray. The megaray was only bringing the temps up to 85 degrees originally. I talked to John White at reptileuv and he said that that was normal and to add the extra lights. Plus he said she needed a supplemental light next to the megaray to offset the uv rays but she is still closing one eye sometimes. I'm measuring with a temp gun about 2 inches away and a digital probe for a backup. I was worried about her bloated ouchy tummy until the incident tonight. I called the vet's office tonight but the vet won't be in until Monday. And he only has appts during the day which is hard with work. I don't have a lot of time at work due to being sick myself. I scheduled it anyway but I'll check around to see if there are any other vets in the area. Do you think waiting this long will be a problem? Anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon!

Erin

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I took her to the vet last week. They gave her subQ fluids, Vitamin A & D injections and panacur just in case. Her fecal can back negative. She still isn't eating though. I have been trying to feed her butternut squash and chicken baby foods but she only takes about 2-3 ccs at day. She weighs around 520 grams right now. Sometimes she'll eat crickets but I have to bring them to her. Also she hasn't been pooing much. Sometimes I can get her to go in her bath with a tummy massage. But that's it. I haven't seen anymore blood but the urates did have a slight tint of pink to them. And her stomach is still really bloated. And she sleeps most of the time. I just don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom