Blind bearded dragon in my garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

bifurcate

Hi all
total newbie and until 10 minutes ago didn't even know these creatures were popular pets, but I do like reptiles.
I'm in West Australia. Yesterday found a dragon with both eyes apparently pecked out. It seems to be completely blind but nevertheless moves around my mainly native garden to sunny spots, climbs up pot plants, walls and shrubs, seems to have raided a spider web for lunch.
the Rt eye socket is all dried up. Yesterday, the left socket had a lump of meat hanging out and was bleeding. today it has dried up.
It is not a pet, they are common at a park near my home.
Is there anything I should/could do to help it or best leave it alone?

Thanks
Andrew

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Andrew,

Poor little bearded dragon. That's good that you've noticed he is eating. I would be worried about predators getting him. They do have what is called a Parietal organ(also known as their "third eye") on top of their head. That may help in seeing shadows above him(predators) and also aid in his finding the sun. I just don't know how long he can last in the wild being blind.

As far as what to do for him medically...I don't know. I'm sure you are not allowed to take them in as pets, but would you happen to have some kind of wild life sanctuary, where they take in injured wild animals?

Dawn

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
That is terribly sad :( poor beardie. Unfortunatly he probably won't survive on his own outside. Birds will see him. I personally would bring him inside. If it's illegal where you are...don't tell anyone I guess.
Change the title "blind beardie in my garden" to "injured beardie with no eyeballs" it will get more replies

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Aw, I agree. If you have the money to buy him the proper set up, I would def take him in. They are wonderful pets with lots of personality. If not, maybe try to look for a rescue place to help him. Bearded Dragons don't live very long in the wild so I'm sure if he has eye problems, it will be even more difficult for him the the normal beardie.

~Sandy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is sad. He wont make it in the wild for very long. He must have gotten attacked by something or been in a fight.
It is illegal to take them out of the wild, correct? I have talked with people who have "nabbed" them out of the wild. If you do take it, if you want to be legal about it, you can apply for a owner's permit to be able to own a reptile. Just check into that, & I don't think it is very expensive.
Are there are rescue organizations around that you could call perhaps, if you don't take him in permanently or can't?

Tracie

bifurcate

Original Poster
Hi all
just some closure on this saga.
After posting before, the WBD disappeared for a week or so. Then I found it basking in the driveway. So I moved it back into the garden, out of the way of vehicles and birds. It was very docile and quite content to sit in my hand. ate some chopped vegies.
My brother collected it and has delivered it to a couple who run a wildlife rehab centre. They are really great people who love all small creatures and will give it a home. Today it was having a medical check-up, hopefully nothing more than a bit hungry....and blind.
Thanks to everybody who replied.

Owner of Max

Hatchling Member
What a great end to a potentially sad story.

Feel good for what you've done.

You've saved the life of one of the (wild) creatures we all slave to! :notworthy:

Pleaides

Juvie Member
aww bless what a happy ending im so glad.
i wish we had lil WBD's in our garden id live out there 24/7 watching them all. lol. well actually id be taking them all in to keep :D
so its illegal to take in a WBD, never knew that, thats strange.

Beardys Rock

Hatchling Member
Bless!

It's very kind of you to give it to a rehab centre, If it was me I would definitely have got a permit and nabbed him for myself :mrgreen:

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom