Black spots in beard constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenRose

Ever since I got Bucky he has had these black marks in his beard, they don't go away even when he is sleeping at night. I've had him for about 3 weeks now, when I got him the previous owner did have him on black calcium sand.(I currently have him on paper towels but I plan on getting him tile soon) He also hasn't shed yet in my care, I give him a bath every day for about 15 to 30 minutes.
I am just concerned, I don't know if he is not happy, or maybe it is just colored because of the black sand, or he is just getting ready to shed?
Below I have a bunch of pictures from different angles, he is just chilling on my desk watching me do homework
full

full

full

full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks like hes going to shed --- please no more baths -- once a week maybe - you dont want to soften his scales --- they do not need to be bathed that often -- does he drink from baths? You can drop water on Buckys nose see if he will drink that way or spray him -- if Bucky is eating his greens / salads rinse them before serving and he will get moisture from them as well as his insects -- make sure your gut loading those insects w / good hydrating food like squash or water pellets or carrots - just dont feed carrots to Bucky too -- to much Vit A
Karrie

GenRose

Original Poster
Alright I will limit the baths, I didn't realize that because other websites say every day. I am so glad I found this site, especially with other sites spreading bad advice!
He isn't drinking from the bath, he also isn't eating his greens as often as he should. Maybe once every two or three days, but he sometimes goes a week without eating it. He doesn't react to water on his nose either, I have tried multiple times over the course of the time I've had him. His crickets have water pellets and currently eating carrots and collard greens (since Bucky isn't eating them)
I got him to eat a raspberry today(he loved it), but I know from the website you shared it shouldn't be feed often. I am going to try some other red healthier fruits to try to get some hydration in him, like strawberry and watermelon. I read you can sometimes rub the fruit onto the greens to help them eat it, so if he reacts well to those I might try that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So as long as he's eating some greens that is good- worms will also help out w/ hydration like horn and silk- I feed my dragons a variety of worms butter worms too but at this time those are out of stock- watch his poops- the urate- should be like formed moist and white and if there is extra water that's good-
Karrie

GenRose

Original Poster
Yeah, I saved the links you gave me for the worms, is there a reasonable way for me to breed those like the crickets or roaches? Thankfully his last 3 poops have had a moist urate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on the feeders board for the answer to that question
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree part of his beard has shed forming and he does also have some darkness from stress which is normal since you just got him. It takes a while for some beardies to settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom