Bio active Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
I’ve finally decided to transition my guy to a bio active setup. I just order a 4x2x4 PVC enclosure. Can anyone direct me to a quality site on how best to set it up?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I moved your thread here, because there are some members who keep enclosures of this type
that will be able to help direct you further for setup help.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you looked into the Terra Sahara kits from TheBiodude website? That may be a good place to start if you want to use a kit to get up and running.

yonose12

I've been running a bioactive setup for a little over a year now. I started with the biodude's substrate and then figured out how to add to it with a homemade mix. I' think the terra sahara is great and it really works as advertised, it was just a bit pricey for me. In addition to substrate, the main things you need are organic materials - leaf litter, palm bark, cork bark, things like that; and isopods + springtails for your cleanup crew. If you search for the bio dude on youtube he has a few videos showing how to set up a bioactive tank with his substrate.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you!
I watched his videos and noticed he puts super worms and mealworms in his setup; should I be concerned about them biting my beardie?

yonose12

I don't have mealworms or superworms in my enclosure but that's mainly because I have an open top and I was worried they'd turn into beetles and escape into my room! My understanding is they mainly help to aerate the soil but they're also not 100% necessary so it's up to you whether to use them or not. I've heard of plenty of folks using them and I haven't heard anything about them biting. Crickets on the other hand will definitely bite so if you use them as a feeder make sure they don't escape into the enclosure. Lastly on the subject of hunting/enrichment, there's a pretty good chance your beardie will start to dig around a bit and hunt once they get used to the new setup. This can be kind of nerve wracking at first since beardies aren't exactly the most accurate eaters :roll: . If you use live plants, I would try to knock off as much of the large perlite pieces as you can (the white rock stuff they put in potting soil). Other than that, your beardie shouldn't have trouble passing anything they accidentally stick with their tongue.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your guidance! I cannot wait to have his new home ready. My goal is to have everything setup, tested and ready for use by end of October. Hoping he likes it, this is not a cheap transition lol.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Just reading this thread. I've been wanting to do it myself. My only hesitation is that my boy is Adeno-positive. Though at 5 yrs old, he's been parasite free since about 1 yr old. Out is curiosity, what is a ball park cost all said and done? And what is it your referring to when you mentioned "testing?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom