BIG! HUGE, EVEN!

Alinannyms

Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Another little update since it's been a while!! Marcys doing great, but MAN is he eating me out of house and home. Finally upgrading to medium sized roaches this week, so hopefully they'll last longer. For real though, I hope he starts eating veggies soon! I've been working overtime to pay for this.

I went with the vinyl flooring and it has so far been much easier to clean. It's not too slick and seems textured enough for him to walk. Surprisingly, it seems to keep more humidity than the carpet which was odd. They also stay much warmer which is nice for Marcy.

However, the biggest change, as you may notice, is how HUGE HE IS!!! I mean, seriously, it feels like he's still the same baby he was the day I first met him but he's at least quadrupled in size in basically just a month!! I only noticed after looking through some old pictures, and it was shocking. He's become such a normal part of my life that I forget he's still a big, growing baby.
20230213_085733.jpg

20230211_161518.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea how old he is at this point, it's crazy. He's been eating more veggies, but it's definitely not a 50/50 ratio yet. Last time I measured him, he was 10 inches, but that was a couple weeks ago. He's gotten better about being out, and he seems much more curious than anything now -- he's a MUCH more courageous jumper than I ever realized, video attached, he was completely fine

He seems to love falling asleep on me before bedtime. I always feel so bad waking him up to get him back to his tank!

All in all, I'll probably be buying a big tank for him soon, which means moving him to a whole 'nother part of the room. I want to get him some more enrichment, mainly things to climb on and some plants. When he's at least bigger than my hand, I want to take him out of my room to explore the house. Some new sights and smells would do him good. When it starts to get warmer, I hope to take him outside for the first time. I'd also like to try to spice up his diet, he's mainly just gobbling down BSFL and dubia roaches. I'm thinking hornworms for a treat. For veggies, kale and mustard green have both been a success, squash hasn't really, and haven't tried any fruits.

Thank you guys so much for all your help in raising my baby. I would be so lost and nervous if not for y'all. Sincerely, thank you. I hope to show you more in the future!
20230210_193045.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, he looks great and yes, it seems like these guys grow so quickly ! It's O.K to let him roam the house when he's a little bigger but be sure to carefully search and make sure there's nothing on the floor like a rubber band, coin, marble, etc. because beardies will swallow anything. Always supervise when he's loose because they can also disappear quickly !

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Always supervise when he's loose because they can also disappear quickly !
Yeah, I know that for sure! One time he was out while I was in bed on my phone, crawled up my shoulder and got behind my headrest. I got him out immediately and he was fine but it scared both of us to bits! Since then I've never taken my eye off him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They grow insanely fast as babies. Getting him on veggies is a good idea, but don't cut the protein until he stops growing, they need the protein to reach their potential. Once he has reached full size and is starting to flesh out, thats when to cut the protein back.
He looks very well socialized, happy abd cute 😍 btw 🙂 👍

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Wow you're brave! That's the size I started with Rocky and I was scared to take him out. I thought I would lose him. These are their critical years of growth so yes, the protein is important now and expensive but it wasn't this bad a year ago. You may want to think about breeding him.
Love his level of activity- what a happy, healthy beardie.

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Wow you're brave! That's the size I started with Rocky and I was scared to take him out. I thought I would lose him. These are their critical years of growth so yes, the protein is important now and expensive but it wasn't this bad a year ago. You may want to think about breeding him.
Love his level of activity- what a happy, healthy beardie.
Thank you! At first, I never thought I would want to try raising a young beardie, but when it came time to go actually purchase one, he was really the only option left lol. All the breeders were out, most pet stores were out, and it wasn't until we went to petco that they had exactly one baby beardie. He was the runt so it seemed, just sitting up on the log and sleeping until the worker reached in and tried to pick him up. He ran laps around that vivarium. When we got home, I realized he wasn't even bigger than my finger. Ridiculously small. I was kind of scared because I realized he was much younger than what I thought I had signed up for. But now? I wouldn't have it any other way! Sure, it's been tough keeping up with his needs and making sure he's staying happy but it has been so rewarding just to see him grow. It's honestly a miracle that he hasn't had a single health problem, I feel like just saying that is going to jinx it!
When he gets older, I might look into breeding him. He's always been pretty submissive though, as he hasn't ever bobbed his head even once. He does love to wave when he sees someone new though lol.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom