Behaviour changed when changed set up a bit; never done before

dbz Dan

Beardie name(s)
Spike
I'm new to forum and beardies just got our first a month ago so not fit to address your concerns but I have to say that is a buetifull enclosure.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ted (1 year 2 mo) Western Bearded Dragon - Pogona minor minor)
I'm new to forum and beardies just got our first a month ago so not fit to address your concerns but I have to say that is a buetifull enclosure.
Oh wow thank you! I'm always trying to set it up so he can enjoy his activities. He kept jumping so had to buy that bonsai driftwood and now he jumps from branch to branch. He loves to climb the walls, dig, and zooming from one small spot to the other so decided to buy a bunch of slate rocks to make some cave/crevices.

I hope you enjoy your time here and don't hesitate to ask questions. I'm fairly new myself and everyone here are so nice and extremely helpful.

Wish you and your beardie the best! ☺️

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
When he gets to be about 6 months old hes not going to want that hot of a temp -- then your gonna need to adjust it to 95-100--- so just watch his behavior and see what he does ---
Hi,

I wonder if I can get your opinion on this. So I switched my exo terra intense 100W to a 75W and the temps are 38°C - 40°C (100°F - 104°F). My beardie is 9 months old.
20220906_134722.jpg

20220906_134737.jpg

20220906_134744.jpg

20220906_134752.jpg

The distance of my basking bulb and Arcadia t5 12% to the basking spots are 13cm - 14.5cm (5.12inches - 5.72 inches). Might be a bit too close? 😕 And UVB is placed diagonally:
20220906_134807.jpg

20220906_134819.jpg

Should I either:
- Leave it be, it's good.

- Add 1 (or more slate rock) so it can reach + 1°F? If he stays on that specific slate he'll be closer to the UVB however I assume he can just go down one layer if UVB is too much?

- Or I buy a light stand like @xp29 suggested. Use a 100W and place it higher. This means I can also make the distance between UVB to be higher (to 8 inches) and I can place the UVb tube horizontally. I'm not sure if placing it diagonal is an issue or not?

If you can let me know what you think is best that would be greatly appreciated. ☺️

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the uvb diagonal isn't a problem. having it on the screen with a 12% bulb you want the distance to be 8-10 inches. it sounds like you are just about there with the basking temp. i know you've been struggling with that part from reading previous posts. you could try doing more of a diagonal with the uvb and have two different spots, one for uvb and one for temp basking. if they have a range of options they will go to where they need to be. i have a long vine at an angle from top to bottom that is under my uvb and then a basking platform right behind it. that allows more of a uvb range and easier control on temp with basking because i'm not trying to do both things in the exact same spot.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
the uvb diagonal isn't a problem. having it on the screen with a 12% bulb you want the distance to be 8-10 inches. it sounds like you are just about there with the basking temp. i know you've been struggling with that part from reading previous posts. you could try doing more of a diagonal with the uvb and have two different spots, one for uvb and one for temp basking. if they have a range of options they will go to where they need to be. i have a long vine at an angle from top to bottom that is under my uvb and then a basking platform right behind it. that allows more of a uvb range and easier control on temp with basking because i'm not trying to do both things in the exact same spot.
Thank you so much for your input! Does "just about there with the basking temp" mean that it's satisfactory and don't need to change anything or I'm nearly there and should try upping it by 1? Apologies if it sounds obvious, just wanted to make sure because I know that lighting and heating is very important for the health of bearded dragons and I don't want to do anything wrong.

Oh and yes, I forgot that I have a red resin rock that is 20cm/8 inches from the UVB light haha. Guess that could be why he likes it there as well.

Again, thanks heaps!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
he's about 9 months, right? i think the 100°-104° is fine and not worth messing with for one more degree. he's almost to the age they start like to bask a little cooler anyway.

makes sense on the red resin rock for sure. it's in the "i like it" zone!

you don't ever need to apologize for asking questions. those things are important, and asking is how we learn to take care of our new crazy babies! i wouldn't have my guy right now if i hadn't worked up the courage to ask questions.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree 100% with hdochow, about asking question and your setup. I wish everyone was as concerned about their beardies well being as you are.

dbz Dan

Beardie name(s)
Spike
seeing all these sweet looking enclosures make me feel like my poor little guy is living in a tiny apartment lol. looks great sure he's a happy little fella.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom