"Beardies for Dummies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
Awesome idea. I read through over 100 posts before I asked my first question on here, because I didn't want to sound dumb. Now that most of you have responded so quickly and nicely I don't mind sounding a little dumb because you all know me now, but for a newcomer this site can be a bit overwhelming, yet informative if you know where to look.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know exactly what you mean. I felt like everything I was asking was a dumb question and if I had 10 questions I would ask 2 because I was afraid if I asked too many at once no one would answer. We all know there are alot of people that are afraid to ask. We all started out knowing nothing. It took me a long time just to figure out what a basking spot was but I was really afraid to ask that question because I thought it was something I was just supposed to know. :? It's just so overwhelming in the beginning. I had no idea you shouldn't go to Craig's List if you had no idea what a beardie even looked like and I lost my first one after 2 days. I was destroyed. The people on this site are priceless. Honestly, each and every one of you are just such amazing, wonderful, helpful people. I can't thank you all enough. I want to be able to help others in an easy to understand way and I know that's what we all want. I don't want anyone to feel dumb like I did. You all know what I mean because we have all been here. And no one EVER made me feel stupid. Not one person. :) Time to pay it forward. :D

Fingers (and toes) crossed that this idea gets okayed. :?

nikipop

Hatchling Member
Really what would be good is a sticky thread with all the links to all the helpful 'getting started' threads that are already all over the site. Like the lighting help one and the cohabitation one and the thermometer one... If all the sticky thread links were in one place it might be less overwhelming. Like a one stop shop type deal... But there is already alot of great 'getting started' threads. Maybe just get them organized? Just my 2 cents...

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well this is the thing. These are all great idea. I think we all seem to want SOMETHING to make it easy for someone. The link idea is a great one, but then we get into which one do we choose. This is so complicated. lol

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
To combine both of those, wouldn't it be a good idea to make a new main topic "Beardie Basics" that goes in the Bearded Dragon Discussions group, right at the top. Then the Mods can move all the exsisting help posts in there, such as that lighting post, and the one about cohabitation. I'm sure there are others. Then we can fill in any blanks we see.

That way a new owner can browse and learn by topic, with everything they need in one place. Right now the best help topics are kind of scattered all over the forum! We need a mod in on this XD

ndavila

I agree Beardiemommy, that would be the best way to set it up. That way new owners and soon to be new owners can go to one place search by subject to get the basics.

Naline
Mommy to 2 Human babaies, 1 BD-Jengo, 1 Dog-Jewell and 4 Fish

joea

Hatchling Member
It has crossed my mind also. "Your one stop spot for all your Beardie needs"
traceyb73":c3nk1q15 said:
Exactly. Make it nice and easy for everyone to understand. :)
And something to print for the problem petstores :mrgreen:

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You know what else I am wondering? Anyone else been here since the day they got their beardie or before? I mean, I've asked questions or at least posted pics just about every single day. (I don't think I've missed any days, just covering my bases!) Kind of a "what to expect" or "my story" kind of thing? I REALLY hope I'm not just annoying the mods with my thoughts. :oops:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think it's a good idea, too, as you're right, people ask questions & then get overwhelmed with the info they need. Pet shops are there to sell, not give the right info. I don't know how many times I get to the pet shop & I'm lecturing new beardie owners about how to take care of their beardies, while annoying the staff, as they're selling what they have! :oops: I get embarrassed, but can't seem to help myself, having gone through it all, getting the wrong stuff, not knowing what I was doing when I got my first dragon 6 years ago. Now I have 5 healthy males, but still worry if I'm doing the right things or not. Alot of people over the years have helped me out alot, which is where I learned so much. My first dragon Sweetie, almost died twice; without the help of knowledgable people on this site I would have lost her. So I'll talk to a few people to see what they think of this idea for you all...sounds like it's something that could become very popular. Even after knowing the basics, there are always more things to find out about our wonderful beardies! And starting your own threads are great, too, I wish I had all day to browse through everyone's threads, too bad I have to work full-time! :D

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Deb, I'm glad I'm not just annoying you guys. lol

I know not everyone would have time to go through every single day of every person, but maybe it would be kind of nice for someone to be able to scan through things to get some ideas of what other people have gone through. God knows, I'm panicked and posted about every little thing. lol hey, I still do! ;)

Jess

Extreme Poster
I made a lighting thread with all the specifics, in case anyone doesn't know! :) The link is in my signature.

I need to edit my stickied threads with some new info though. And I've been meaning to include my 4x2x2 setup lighting in my light thread too, to help people out with their custom vivs. Any suggestions about other stuff I should add?

@Tracey, I joined this forum about a week after I got my first beardie. I had never had a reptile before, and he was a spur-of-the-moment rescue so I didn't even have time to research before I got him. (If I didn't take him he would have been put to sleep, so I had a good excuse! Haha.) I didn't know ANYTHING so I asked an excessive amount of questions too... No worries!

LOL Deb, I'm kind of known as the lizard person at the pet store I work at. Everyone brings me their beardies so I can clip their nails and answer their questions and stuff. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom