"Beardies for Dummies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
You know, someone mentioned it before, and this is a great idea. I think we should start a thread for people who are starting out and confused by all the info out there. Just a very easy to understand, kind of "Bardies for Dummies" kind of thing. It seems everyone, including myself, tends to ask the same questions. If we had a forum just to answer the basics and make it in a very easy to understand way, we could help so many people. Just a simple, step by step. Those of us who have been here know what a basking spot is, but someone who has never had a beardie doesn't know what that is. Even as far as feeding to point out the numbers of different ways to do it (ie separate container, one at a time, time limits, etc). First time Zoey pooped I freaked out when I saw the urates. If people know it's normal, it will put their minds at ease.

I know this is the point of the whole site, but if we condense it into one easy to understand thread, it would be so much easier instead of people having to search all of these answers and sometimes still not finding what they are looking for. We all know the info is here, but it can just be overwhelming.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? :)

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I like that idea! Maybe the name could be along the lines of "Beardie Basics" (or something similar) though, in case any of those easily-offended types take offense

Edit- I'm off to see the fiance and our little monsters (they live with him, I'm still working on my landlord about having one of them here :( ) so I'm out for the day, but I'd be happy to help if needed tomorrow! :)

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
This is a great idea. It needs to be really specific and short. And not over done. To start out with, a list of supplies that are BASIC (and then in parentheses you can have useful supplies as well). We can use a 40 gallon critter aquarium set up so that when someones gets this and that bulb, the person will be well underway to getting the right temps and things. I know I didn't have that and I stressed BAD about getting my temps right. I bought a lot of bulbs and threw away money. What do you guys think? One part can be set up for 40 gallon starter for bigger dragons and a 20 gallon set up for wee babies. Then the diet section could be a link to that nutrition page? And maybe a basic starting diet (I dont know)? Put in some simple facts like going in the sun isn't necessary but going out even 15-20 minutes does wonders. The veteran owners could post a simple list of supplies right in this thread, agree on what to use. Then go onto the next subject, agree what to use, (or do it all off list) and then put up the "article" and ask opinions if its easy enough, etc.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've been trying to figure this out. Maybe a different post in the thread, one for lighting, one for feeding, etc. But like you said, very basic, short and straight to the point.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
maybe it's own discussion section separate from all the rest (like general discussion and for sale)

I agree that having each topic in it's own thread would be less confusing.

when i open a care sheet and it's paragraphs long it makes my eyes cross.

i know i freaked out the first time Mr Dargon did the eye bulge.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh I know. I hope I haven't offended anyone by asking, this site is wonderful!! I just mean the absolute basics. And even what certain things like what things like urates means. You know? Even basking spot. I had no idea what that was either and I felt silly asking. :?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
That is a great idea. This is my first lizard and I would have loved having a whole section just to read about what to do and not to do :). Like I didn't know what to feed, what UVB was, and yes her poo did scare me too lol.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I think you may have been the one who gave me that idea. :) And I am talking the very basics. What lights (as in "reptisun 10.0), etc. So everyone will be able to find it fast and not get frustrated and stop looking, you know? A month ago it was me who was doing this and feeling awkward asking questions that I thought were silly.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i just find it really frustrating when i am trying to find out what i need and i get the run around.

a while back i was trying to find out which basking light was best. i was finding general information.
what i was looking for was someone to say which type and the exact wattage.

too much information can be just as bad as not enough information. imo.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Lol probably was me. I have so many questions. I feel like everyone is like why does she keep asking simple questions lol. Really it would be most helpful though I think to many people. Because one of the first things when u look up bearded dragons this site pops up. So people will learn better :)

mudskipper

Juvie Member
This sounds great! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: Things like:
- check lists for necessary items
- recommended products and where to get them
- products not recommended and why
- what to do when your new baby beardie arrives
- acceptable feeders and where to get them and general nutrition.. how many times a day do you see or post http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html? LOL
- "my baby is not eating!"

The thread needs to be maintained by the OP though so the readers don't have to read through 27 pages of the thread to learn the basics. Members make suggestions and items get added to the first post to make lists. I have seen this done on other forums. For example, I belong to an ant keeping forum. There's a thread like this where members post what species of ants they keep and what they eat or won't eat. If we have something like this, we can direct any new members to the thread to get basic questions answered without having to reexplain the same things over and over again so we can focus on posting and viewing pictures of beardies being spoiled. :lol:

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
mudskipper":3ieegqfo said:
This sounds great! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: Things like:
- check lists for necessary items
- recommended products and where to get them
- products not recommended and why
- what to do when your new baby beardie arrives
- acceptable feeders and where to get them and general nutrition.. how many times a day do you see or post http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html? LOL
- "my baby is not eating!"

The thread needs to be maintained by the OP though so the readers don't have to read through 27 pages of the thread to learn the basics. Members make suggestions and items get added to the first post to make lists. I have seen this done on other forums. For example, I belong to an ant keeping forum. There's a thread like this where members post what species of ants they keep and what they eat or won't eat. If we have something like this, we can direct any new members to the thread to get basic questions answered without having to reexplain the same things over and over again so we can focus on posting and viewing pictures of beardies being spoiled. :lol:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Not sure if we would be allowed to say where to get the stuff, that might be advertising, but just so someone coming along can get a list of what they need, even what the boxes/packages look like. Very simple. And then a separate section for each different thing such as 1 for lighting, 1 for feeding. It's going to be complicated, but at this point, I think it should really be here. I mean you know there are people who come along that aren't sure about something, but are too embarrassed to ask or get so frustrated they try to figure it out themselves and we all know how that goes. :?

ndavila

I agree 100% with this idea and thought about it too, just not brave enough to post it :oops: . The caresheets are great for general info but it really would make sense to a have specific section just for the basics and a thread for each subject. I know when I started looking on here I found out alot of the stuff I had been told by the petstore was wrong, but it took alot of reading and time to find out specifics. Having all the basics in one spot would be alot easier for someone whos is looking for quick answers.

Naline
Mommy to 2 human babies, 1 baby BD-Jengo,1 dog- Jewell and 4 fish

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I noticed this already has 74 views, makes me wonder how many of those are looking for the info we are talking about. It would be really nice and much easier if we could make it a title instead of just a thread. Not sure what the right word is for it, but we have "ER", "General Discussion", etc. How about something like "what you need to get started"? That is up to the mods though.... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom