Beardie with Gout issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRavie

Hello guys. I'll try to keep this brief. It's my first time posting here but I really need some help.
Archie is my 2 and a half year old male beardie. He weighs about 315 grams and hovers around there. Early in July I started a Dubia roach colony and he loved them so much. Being the bad momma I am- I fed him what he wanted and he wanted roaches. I noticed lethargy and swelling limbs a few months later and in Octobor he was diagnosed with full blown kidney failure and Gout. He's been on gout meds (Allopurinol) (SP) sense October, daily. The roaches became a very rare treat, as well as other insects- and then in November- December, he stopped eating anything at all- vegies, and now even insects (Which he use to devour with a passion) He gets EVERYTHING through syringe now- food (Green pea organic babyfood- and a few other flavors) water, and medication. He refuses to eat anything while I really think he needs something more solid. I think he's formed a habit of syringe feeding and no one has been able to tell me how to break it. I've tried bee pollen- every number of different bugs, greens, and veggies, different colored feeding dishes- different supplements like Bene Bek for lizards and milk thistle powder. Nothing- I'm desperate. Everyone just gives me what 'their beardie likes' Well my beardie use to LOVE collards and both choi- and wax worms- no longer. His muscles are skinny- his poo is always watery and green, which makes sense because of his food... And yesterday he vomited on the floor- this has never happened before. I'm so worried. I want to build his muscles back up. He is active- to a point. He'll roam around and stuff.

His hit spot temp is 103, low is 76, Measured with a temp gun (point and shoot) He's got a big basking light, and a large Arcadia UVB 12% linear tube light. Tile substrate.
Please help me if you can- My vet isn't giving me much info... Archie should be parasite free- as I had him on heavy parasite meds in October...

Thanks and sorry for the super long post.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry Archie has gout that badly! Do you have any pictures of him?
Has the allopurinol worked at all for him?
They will tend to become very spoiled & dependent on syringe feeding. Can he move around enough to be able to feed himself if you did put a few waxworms or superworms down for him?
His stools are likely loose/liquidy due to the syringe feeding, I agree. You could use canned pumpkin or sweet potato to try & firm up the stool some. Do you give any calcium supplementation & if so, how often?
You can try getting some alfalfa meal, which not only helps with gout but is a good source of protein too but doesn't have any purines that contributes to gout/kidney issues.
The UVB light is great & should not be an issue for giving him plenty of UVB. How far away is the tube bulb from him & how old is it?

Tracie

TheRavie

Original Poster
Here's my Archie! He can move around and go everywhere. He has some trouble climbing steep things so when I do his cage I give him shallow ramps to climb up to his basking spot. His UV light is no more than 8-12 inches away from him.
He likes to climb up and nestle on our shoulders and he will explore the livingroom /sofa if we let him out :) Some times he's a floppy lizard but he can still stand up on all four legs and lift his belly off the ground which is a huge improvement from when he first got sick.
The babyfood has calcium in it- but I do not supplement it further because his blood tests showed a high calcium level. It's returned to normal now, thank goodness.
Sense the Alopurinol treatment his uric acid blood levels have gown down a whole lot- not to normal, but a huge improvement. He went from not picking up his head and flat out kidney failure- to being well hydrated, and active (not as active as he once was. He won't chase anything anymore. But he will still explore and lick things) I just wish I could get him off the syringe..... but with his condition i'm afraid to try the 'tough love' method.
I will totally try the canned pumpkin and alfalfa! Do you think his digestive tract is ok? Even with the water food? I just don't want to not be giving him what he needs.
And thanks so much for the reply!
14566491_10210431853210115_839941328942349025_o.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Archie is a great looking dragon! I can't tell from the pics, but is he a leatherback, it kind of looked like he was but couldn't tell for sure.
That's great news his uric acid levels have gone down since starting the Allopurinol. It is a very good drug & easy on the body for the most part. It is designed for long term use.
The distance for the Arcadia is good, no problems there. His calcium levels have fallen some also?
Maybe throw in calcium 1-2 times per week, that shouldn't be too much. Monitor his urates to be sure the calcium addition hasn't caused urate hardness or causing swelling.
He probably wont go after his food right now because his joints may bother him right now. Hopefully once he is more recovered he will feel more like going after some food on his own.
His digestive tract should be fine. You could also try some bromelain, which is an enzyme from papaya & pineapple that helps with digestion. It is a tasteless powder. Try the canned pumpkin & alfalfa first to see if that works some for him.
Let us know how he is doing.
Here is an interesting link on Alfalfa you might want to read:
https://goutandyou.com/gout-and-alfalfa/

Tracie

TheRavie

Original Poster
He is a leatherback! Someone told me he was a dunner leatherback. He was a 'fancy bearded dragon' from pet smart a few years ago. Thanks, I think he's very pretty!
I'll totally try the Alfalfa once I find some and let me read your article.
I'm just making up behavioral training to hopefully get him to open his mouth more and eat in a different way. He's finally started licking food off his nose! which is a big plus I assume. I guess it's a step closer to get him eating out of a spoon and then out of a bowl of solid food? Like I said before, I've found no info on breaking the syringe habit...so I'm going on what I already know about animal behavior. I just wish someone else who has had this issue would talk to me lol and tell me how they broke their beardie's habit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I thought he was a leatherback but wasn't sure.
The specialty morphs are inbred & do tend to have more health issues than normal morphs do.
The only suggestion I have is to slowly decrease the amount of syringed food he gets on a normal basis. If he is getting fed from a syringe & expects it, he wont really be hungry enough to want to go after his food.
If he starts to get hungry enough, that may spark his appetite to where he will start to hunt his food.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

TheRavie

Original Poster
Alright I have an Archie update!

I took him to the vet yesterday and he's got parasites again! Last time he took parasite meds was in October ;/ Anyway hopefully clearing those out will help him with eating. The Vet told me to get carnivore critical care, and to feed him one part that- one part veggies and one part berries. He also said that green peas were heavy in starch which is why he likes green pea babyfood so much- so he's off the green peas and will start on carrots/ pumpkin, the carne care, and blue berries today (Along with his parasite meds today)
I cannot find alfalfa sprouts :/ There are a few other stores to check so I'll look into those. Dude these things are hard to find!
What do you think about the carnivore care the vet suggested? He's lost a lot of weight- from 340 grams down to 280....
He got a blood test yesterday so we'll see soon if he still needs to be on gout medication. Also! It's warm enough to take him outside in the sun! Yay!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did he enjoy going outside in the sun?
Which meds is he on for parasites?
The Critical/Carnivore care is very good, it is a great supplemental food to help with weight gain & nutrition. I hope he likes it, too.
Alfalfa sprouts are very hard to find. Have you looked for the powder also?
I hope Archie is feeling better soon!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom