Beardie Threw Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello :) my beardie's name is Pikachu and I made a post a little over a week ago about my beardie being under weight and won't eat. I have been giving him baby food and apple sauce and mixed calcium into it, but he won't willingly eat anything else. Yesterday I got Pika to eat some meal worms but I had to help him with it, but today he puffed his beard, opened his mouth, started shaking his head, and threw up. I believe he may have parasites, but I'm still not sure. Any help would be great, thank you!
100459-5962365442.jpg

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would call around for a vet that will do a fecal. Have you found anyone yet? You can continue with the babyfood for a while and I wouldn't use applesauce too much, maybe once a week and the no sugar added kind. Mix the chicken or turkey with squash, green beans or sweet potato baby food. I wouldn't give mealworms they would be hard to digest in her fragile state and are not good for them.

jennyandpika

Original Poster
I tried bringing him to the petco vet but they only do vaccinations, I'm gonna try calling a different vet to see what they can do. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how many mealworms did he eat and what time of day ? Too many or if eaten too late for the heat to aid digestion would cause it. Be specific about that. He can eat waxworms, just not too many at a time. Same with any insects, just a few at a time at first until you see he can hold them down. Feed him early enough so that he has at least 3-4 hours of heat for digestion.

jennyandpika

Original Poster
Pika had 10 small mealworms at around 8 and his lights go off at 9:30. Currently he's seems a lot drowsier than usual

jennyandpika

Original Poster
He's about 18 inches and the meal worms were under an inch long, from what you said the time to digest wasn't enough time but did I still give him too many as well? Thanks :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it was probably too late in the day. Ten mealworms wouldn't be too much for a beardie but since your boy is in delicate condition stick with the softer bugs and be sure he has at least 3 hours before lights out to digest his food. Offer hydration with a syringe, just dripping on his snout.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Dubias are an excellent choice as a main source. They are actually much softer than superworms and mealworms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Dubias are excellent sources of protein. They would be easier to digest than superworms
& mealworms. The small hornworms or small silkworms would be great for him also.
How is your dragon doing this evening, have you gotten any fluids into him?

Tracie

jennyandpika

Original Poster
I got him to drink some water, but he's still very drowsy. I'll try to get him to eat silk worms if I can find them, thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he gets to feeling better. I'm glad to hear you got some fluids into him, even if it was
just a little bit.
Sure, silk worms are great. I did some checking & everyone is out of stock. Hornworms are
easier to find right now. You can get them at mulberryfarms.com

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom