Beardie stepped on

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
So tonight, my dad accidentally tread on Gabriel. It was an accident, unfortunately things happen. Gabriel seems absolutely fine, honestly, I felt his ribcage and everything feels symmetrical and alright, he's breathing fine, he doesn't have any darkened stress lines/black beard, his gait is normal. Frankly he didn't even freak out all that much, except trying to run away pretty fast when I put him on the table to check up on him. He quickly calmed down again.

My dad didn't put his full weight on Gabriel, he realized immediately that he'd put his foot on something and removed his weight. Gabriel had also flattened himself out in that pancake way they tend to do. Is there anything else I should keep an eye on? I know beardies do not always show their pain, but I wanted to see if anyone had anything else to check up on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry this happened to Gabriel. How large of a dragon is he?
Yes, unfortunately, accidents happen. At least your dad didn't put his full weight on him.
It sounds like he is doing fine & if he is moving around normally he probably didn't sustain any broken bones, either.
His breathing was probably erratic due to being stressed. If his beard isn't dark, he will be alright.
They are masters at hiding pain, absolutely!
Just keep an eye on him when he walks, runs, climbs, etc to be sure he isn't having any trouble with any limbs when moving.
If he all of the sudden stopped eating for no apparent reason or stopped his back legs which could indicate a spinal or cervical injury then you could take him to a vet for an x-ray.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie!

Gabriel is about 18 inches.

It's partially my fault. He wasn't in the room when I first put Gabriel down, and I didn't say Gabriel was crawling around until it was too late. Like I literally said it right as my dad stepped on him.

I will keep an eye on him! If he stops eating or anything, I will let you guys know!

-Moe

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My wife stood on Rex's hip and tail once, but apart from my having some words with her about watching where she's walking and our stressing out for a few days (expecting Rex to eventually start showing evidence of a broken hip , or broken hind legs or other nasty internal injuries) , and taking Rex to be checked rather urgently by the local vet (who found nothing) ,she was fine, just very wary of my wife when she came near if she was on the floor for long time (they do remember and will distance themselves from the "elephant" in the room).

I'd just keep a close eye on him , and if he shows any changes in how he moves or shows other signs of being in pain, I'd have a vet check him . Chances are he'll be fine , they are tough buggers.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm glad Rex wasn't hurt! Gabriel's not around my dad too much, but I've heard a few people say that, so I'm sure Gabe will be pretty wary of him for a while.

I will do that! I'll be taking him to the vet if anything starts going wrong (or asking urgent questions on here if the vet's not open). I'm glad we were lucky this time and that nothing seems to be wrong. It certainly won't be happening again, not on my watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom