Beardie scales are bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissarahi

A79634A3-AD0F-44CA-853A-6BF7896DB63E.jpeg
A79634A3-AD0F-44CA-853A-6BF7896DB63E.jpeg

Hi I need help, my beardies scales on his head are bleeding a little bit. He started shedding recently in his tail. He has no issues there but it seems he can’t shed properly on his head. If you notice on the left side 3 of his spikes are black. I will make a vet appointment but I need help for the meantime.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is your beardie housed with another ? How long have you had him/her ? If it's housed with another those marks would be caused from biting . If not they are some type of slight wound but it shouldn't be serious. BTW, anytime you post pics to show a potential problem on your dragon's scales it's best to do do when they are dry. Being wet can distort the color of scales and wounds so post some pics when your beardie is dry.

Lissarahi

Original Poster
Is your beardie housed with another ? How long have you had him/her ? If it's housed with another those marks would be caused from biting . If not they are some type of slight wound but it shouldn't be serious. BTW, anytime you post pics to show a potential problem on your dragon's scales it's best to do do when they are dry. Being wet can distort the color of scales and wounds so post some pics when your beardie is dry.
My beardie is housed by himself, I keep both my beardies separate. I’ve had him for almost a year now. Here is an image I have with him completely dry.
FD26F962-C91C-483D-A24C-A85FAF1F0B23.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You'll be able to see more clearly after the shed. Don't try peeling it off though, just let it come off on it's own. The spikes have a very slight amount of damage, nothing to be worried about. You can dab it with a bit of raw honey or alcohol free [ plain ] aloe gel. How clos to the heat llamp can he get , can you post a pic of the entire enclosure ?

Lissarahi

Original Poster
You'll be able to see more clearly after the shed. Don't try peeling it off though, just let it come off on it's own. The spikes have a very slight amount of damage, nothing to be worried about. You can dab it with a bit of raw honey or alcohol free [ plain ] aloe gel. How clos to the heat llamp can he get , can you post a pic of the entire enclosure ?

Lissarahi

Original Poster
I put some aloe on him, no alcohol just plain aloe. I don’t have a picture of his enclosure right now. But his heat lamp is not close to where I can burn him.

Lissarahi

Original Poster
I put some aloe on him, no alcohol just plain aloe. I don’t have a picture of his enclosure right now. But his heat lamp is not close to where I can burn him.
This is the best image I can find showing his entire setup, his heat lamp and uv bulbs are on the left side of his tank and I have a uv fixture along the middle
E717BF48-89D5-4620-BB7E-0905F9FE5CFD.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., post pics of his tank when you can, he may have just scraped top of his head under a cave or if you let him out to free roam tried to squeeze under something. Also be sure there are no loose crickets in his tank. But again, noting looks serious.

Lissarahi

Original Poster
O.K., post pics of his tank when you can, he may have just scraped top of his head under a cave or if you let him out to free roam tried to squeeze under something. Also be sure there are no loose crickets in his tank. But again, noting looks serious.
Thank you, and I will get a better picture of his set up tomorrow

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I replied at the same time you posted the pic. But yeah, possible that he stuck his head between the plastic frame of the " bed ". Or something similar but those are just guesses along with what I mentioned in my previous post.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is such a cute little setup for him, I love it. He should be fine, but as AHBD said, just let the scales heal up & they will
gradually shed off. The aloe is perfectly fine, very effective & can be used daily.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom