Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
We posted at nearly the same time there... not sure if you saw my newer post above with the viv pics link. (Just in case you happened to miss it, I wanted to call your attention to it). :)

m7ak

Original Poster
I think i am going to temperarly rig the tube light inside the habitat close to the heat lamp for the next month. i am in the process of buying a house. so after i finalize that i will make something like the wood enclosure in the first pic.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
m7ak":845c0 said:
I think i am going to temperarly rig the tube light inside the habitat close to the heat lamp for the next month. i am in the process of buying a house. so after i finalize that i will make something like the wood enclosure in the first pic.

Sounds like a good plan! I wish you the best of luck, and hope your dear dragon comes around soon.

Ah, buying a house... so much involved there, lots to do! We've done it three times now and I told my husband that this is it, we're staying put for a good long time... no more moving!!! (Frankly, I don't think I can sign that much paperwork ever again!) :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there,

I got to thinking about your situation last night when I read another post, and I became concerned. When you say she is eating a few worms... are you still feeding supers? I know I've already expressed my unease about feeding supers to a smaller/younger dragon, so I won't belabor the point. Here is a link I thought you might want to see:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=108389&p=849194&hilit=#p849194

I know the UVB is definitely an issue here, but I wonder if the feeders are perhaps in part, related to her issues?

Ok, I'll leave you with that. I've said my peace. I promise not to 'bug' you about it again. :wink: My, that was a horrible pun. Apologies.

How is the UVB light "rigging" going by the way? Hope you were able to mount it with relative ease. :)

The best,
Em

m7ak

Original Poster
The only reason i am still feeding her the superworms is because she will eat them. She doesnt swallow them whole. she chews them up at leats 3 or 4 times before she swallows. I have tried wax worms and meal worms, she didnt like them when she was feeling good. She is not eating crickets either. What should i feed her?

I dont know what to do????? I hope the light starts to help soon??????

I think the light will be good until we move.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
m7ak":99203 said:
The only reason i am still feeding her the superworms is because she will eat them. She doesnt swallow them whole. she chews them up at leats 3 or 4 times before she swallows. I have tried wax worms and meal worms, she didnt like them when she was feeling good. She is not eating crickets either. What should i feed her?

I dont know what to do????? I hope the light starts to help soon??????

I think the light will be good until we move.

Hi,

I totally understand your dilemma. That said, waxies and mealies aren't very good for them anyway so just as well that she didn't prefer them. Better choices for dragons are

Phoenix Worms
http://www.phoenixworms.com

(PWs are full of natural calcium and can't be great in giving a struggling dragon a boost. They are usually pretty good appetite stimulators. They are small though. You'd want the large size and she'd probably be able to eat the more than easily. :) We are still feeding PWs to our dragon who is 14 inches. She loves them, and would eat them at a time when she wouldn't go near the crickets. She eats both happily now.

Also,

Horn Worms

Butter Worms

Silk Worms

Which can be purchased through:

http://www.mulberryfarms.com

Hope that helps a bit. If I think of anything else I'll post. I can't remember, did I give you the beautiful dragons food list? Here it is again, just in case:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

(I believe all the worms are on there, in detail)

The best,
Em

m7ak

Original Poster
i just bought a bunch of pheonix worms. Hopefully she will be ready to eat them when they get here early next week. Ill try them first because like you said they are supposed to be good for boosting sickly dragons.

Thank you for you help. You have been great!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
m7ak":8a931 said:
i just bought a bunch of pheonix worms. Hopefully she will be ready to eat them when they get here early next week. Ill try them first because like you said they are supposed to be good for boosting sickly dragons.

Indeed, they are wonderful for struggling dragons. And most LOVE them. They are also extremely low maintenance. No feeding, just keep them in their container is a cool place (60-65 degrees) and they can last a good long time.

I know your dragon isn't eating a ton right now so this may or may not be an issue for you, but in general it's wise to feed just a few worms at a time as some dragons will tend to "gobble" PWs because of their small size and I believe, taste. Gobbling them can result in the occasional passed "whole" worm, which is not a huge deal, really but nice to avoid if you can.

Thank you for you help. You have been great!

You are so welcome. I'm really pulling for your dragon. I hope all the changes help him come around. I know he's eaten a bit. Is he pooping ok? Have you noticed any change at all since having the ReptiSun installed?

The best,
Em

m7ak

Original Poster
Last night Phil started eating crickets again. She probably at 10 or 12. She hasent ate like this for almost 3 weeks. She is acting and looking like she is getting better. She hasnt pooped for about a week now. She seemed like she went to bed with a full tummy. I am confident the she will poop very soon. I hope she keeps it up. I will know more tonight. Ill keep you posted.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
m7ak":d836a said:
Last night Phil started eating crickets again. She probably at 10 or 12. She hasent ate like this for almost 3 weeks. She is acting and looking like she is getting better. She hasnt pooped for about a week now. She seemed like she went to bed with a full tummy. I am confident the she will poop very soon. I hope she keeps it up. I will know more tonight. Ill keep you posted.

Oh, I was hoping for an update and here it is! This is great news! :blob8:

Hope she poops soon! Indeed, keep me posted! :)

The best,
Em

m7ak

Original Poster
She didnt eat anything last night but she was very coherant. She has been up on her favorite log with her head up high. I am pretty sure things are getting better. She still hasent pooped yet.

thanks

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Ah, I was hoping for a good poop story... hoping it's soon.

Will you receive your phoenix worms tomorrow then? I have an order in also. I hope she finds them satisfactory.

It's good that she is basking well and more alert. It may just take some time under the new UVB to get her up and going. Were you able to mount the UVB ok in the viv? Frankly, I would know the first thing about how to go about it and always wondered...

*hopeful thoughts!*

Em

m7ak

Original Poster
Still no poop. But it is on the way I am sure. She ate more crickets last night. Should have the worms today. I think the light is mounted good for time being until i move and can build her a real nice habitat.

I was holding her last night and she felt so much healthier in the belly. As if she had something in there to process. She looks and feels more filled out.

ill let you know on the how she likes the worms tomorrow and if she pooped.

Thanks

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
m7ak":4c32f said:
Still no poop. But it is on the way I am sure. She ate more crickets last night. Should have the worms today. I think the light is mounted good for time being until i move and can build her a real nice habitat.

I was holding her last night and she felt so much healthier in the belly. As if she had something in there to process. She looks and feels more filled out.

ill let you know on the how she likes the worms tomorrow and if she pooped.

Thanks

This all sounds very encouraging. I remember when our girl started eating well again, and that same feeling when we'd pick her up... plump belly!

Hope she enjoys the worms!

Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi,

Wondering how the worms are going over?

You know, I remembering reading on the forum here once upon a time, that often when dragons are offered supers, they will begin to refuse crickets. I do wonder if stopping the supers aided in getting your dragon up and going on a bit of crickets? Just a random thought for the day. :D That said, I should warn, when we first started phoenix worms, our girl wasn't much for crickets for a time, but now she loves both. In either case (if need be), while the worms are a bit more expensive, they are ok to feed as a staple as they have a decent fat/protein ratio. Basically, we just took a short break from crickets when she first refused them, but then began offering again after a few days and to our astonishment, she was crazy for them... as I said, the PWs (and some tank changes) really seemed to stimulate her appetite in general, however incrementally so.

Hope you're fairing well! :)

Thanks,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom