beardie not eating?? help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
my beardie is not eating even close to the amount of crickets he was before. before he would eat over 50 per day. now im lucky if he eats between 7-10. i used to feed him in a seperate container. but he stopped eating so i tryed his cage. he is only eating a bit now. he is about 9 months old so he may be changing to eatin more veggis. he has always ate his veggis but is eating a LITTLE bit more now. but it doesnt look like nough to keep him healthy. he is still active(i mean really really active. he runs full speed around the room for 20-40 min when i take him out.) he doesnt look like he has lost weight at all. i have got him to eat a bit of all natural chiken baby food for a bit of protien. he just wont eat crickets. he ate about 30 waxworms maybe a week ago but that is the only large meal he has had in a while. and all my temps are fine. one basking spot it about 110. the other is about 103.(spends about equal time in each spot) cool sie is about 75. what is up with him? is it normal to eat only about 10 crickets per day at his age? i thought even as aduld they ate more than that.

scm133

Juvie Member
Has he lost any weight?
Why I was asking, is because my Hugo was eating 20 crickets at each feeding, and lately has cut back. I will offer crickets, dubias, phoenix worms at different times, and he would eat...but just not the usual massive amounts. I was frantically reading everyone's post trying to figure out if he was sick. :study: I even did a fecal test, which was ok. I was checking temps like every hour. Then.....I weighed him. Ha! He has gained weight. :roll: I will continue to monitor his weight, but will not be so nervous if he slows down on his eating.
As long as they are pooping, and it looks ok; active and gaining weight...not to worry. :wink:

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sorry to get back so late. it doesnt look like he has lost weight. i dont know for sure, i dont have a scale in grams to measure((or a scale at all:/). his activity has gone down. not they only time he moves alot if to move from basking to cool side then back to basking and so on. even when i take him out, he will climb onto a heigh point then just sit there. i am getting some phoenix worms to try. he still is only eating like 6 crickets a day. and seems like even less greens. i can still get him to eat a bit of watered down baby food my dripping it on him nose. he was pooping normals but not anymore. i dont think it is impaction. i think it is because he doesnt have to poop because he isnt eating. he looks almost "depressed" he has his eyes closed alot until i walk up or make noise then he opens them. im really worryed. this started like a motnth ago. got better for like 3 days nowis getting worse. also a trip to the vet will only happen if NEEDED like 100% becausei am very tight on cash. what is wrong?!

scm133

Juvie Member
Sounds like conditions have worsen. :(
:cry: You need to hydrate him, and (sorry) get him to a vet, or at least get a fecal test done. Easiest way to hydrate him is bathing daily. Have you been giving him baths? Try mixing pedialyte with some baby food squash. But I agree, something is wrong. :cry:

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have been giving him baths 2 times per week but i will start daily. i called the vet today just to ask and see if they could help over the phone and i left a meggage on their top exotic reptile vet(who i usualyl see for my herps, and he is pretty good too!) but he hsnt called back yet. i think he is supposed to tomoro but i will probably sadly have to take him in for a stool sample and to get him checked. ill try to keep you updated. dont be suprised if it takes a while for a response. im a little preoccupied right now:eek:)

scm133

Juvie Member
Daily baths will help tremendously. Yes, please keep us posted. Maybe you can just run a fecal sample by the vet for them to test. Good Luck!!

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey guys. sorry it has been so long! but thing aare starting to look a LITTLE better. the other day i bough 100 phoenix worms and he ate about 15-20 per day. so that is good. then when i ran out he was eating like 5-10 circkets per day. he is starting to eat a TINY bit of greens. and he pooped today!! YEA! i am going to buy some all natural babyfood that is some sort of veggie. what kind would you recommend since they dont have collard green baby food:)? also, when i feed it to him i mix it with water so it will go in the syringe. so that will help with hydrationg because the urate(is that how you spell it? lol im bad at spelling) did look a bit chalky. the nly wierd thingis that in his poop it looked like one of the worms want digested. it that bad? there was only 1. and everything else was perfectly normal. if that is bad why did that happen?

scm133

Juvie Member
Baby food squash is good. If he starts to look dehydrated, you can mix it with plain Pedialyte. Undigested food...be sure basking temps are good, and last feeding at night should be two hours before lights go out.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is eating more greens now since I posted. Almost all of the bowl! It funny nexus I just lowered temps a bit. But that was just yesterday and they still get to 100 degrees in one spot. The other is at 93 degrees. What should I do?

scm133

Juvie Member
He probably only needs one basking spot @ 105-110. I have noticed Hugo will nibble at his greens in the morning. Chow down on crickets mid day, and then chow down on the greens in evening. Every dragon is different. Main thing is that they get a variety of bugs and veggies. :)

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey guys. sorry again for replying SO late.

i know he only NEEDS one basking spot but i like 2 because it offers him a choice and keeps the whole warm side air temp good. otherwise it is a bit low.

he seems to be doing a bit better. he pooped a few days ago(maybe week, not sure). he is eating chicken and squash baby food(all natural of course) and i bought another thing of phoenix worms but they are gone. he still wont eat crickets though(3-4 a day max).

i think i may have found the problem. i think it could be dehydration. not severe but minor. his skin is a bit loose, eyes are a bit sunken and his urates are somewhat chalky. so with all that i have come to that conclusion. the only thing is, does dehydration make them not want to eat much? i didnt think it does but i might be wrong.

what are some really good ways to get him hydrated fast and then keep him hydrated. i already:

keeps his greens wet after i wash them in the morning

give him baths at least 1 or 2 times per week(beween 20 min to 1 hour)

and 3 days ago i bought a spray bottle from target and i am spraying his head every afternoon

what else could i do to one, get him hydrated asap and 2, keep him hyrated? thanks guys. you r such a big help!

scm133

Juvie Member
Baths every day will help a lot!! You can also mix the baby food squash with some plain Pedialyte. And yes, being dehydrated will definitely affect their appetite, and they will be very lethargic. So glad, you found the problem. Just be sure he has a cold side of 75-80 to thermoregulate. :wink:

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks so much! he is lathargic since he stopped eating! that must be it! is not then a poop test is needed.... ill get right on helping him, he is in bath as we speak(my dad is watching him while i post this!:D) even since this morning his eyes and skin look less dehydrated(not fine but better) from misting him and his bath yesterday(this one will help too). ill post again in a few days and tell u how hes doing. thanks so much again! :blob5: :blob5: :blob8: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom