Beardie is sick and I don’t know what to do

10isntA#

Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
Nutmeg has previously been sick with bloody stools, lethargic behavior, and loss of appetite. She has since been on medication and gained back her appetite and doesn’t have bloody stools, but she has been left with an odd walk, almost a flop. That was about six months ago. About a week ago she stopped eating and doesn’t move, she inflates herself with air whenever I pick her up, and when she is in her tank she opens and closes her mouth??? She hadn’t grown or shed in six months or when she first got sick, and I’m extremely worried for her health

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nutmeg has previously been sick with bloody stools, lethargic behavior, and loss of appetite. She has since been on medication and gained back her appetite and doesn’t have bloody stools, but she has been left with an odd walk, almost a flop. That was about six months ago. About a week ago she stopped eating and doesn’t move, she inflates herself with air whenever I pick her up, and when she is in her tank she opens and closes her mouth??? She hadn’t grown or shed in six months or when she first got sick, and I’m extremely worried for her health
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them? NO stick ons please -- digital probe thermometer --- your UVB a coil or a long tube fixture? And where in the tank is it?

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them? NO stick ons please -- digital probe thermometer --- your UVB a coil or a long tube fixture? And where in the tank is it?
My uvb is a tube fixture that sits on the screen

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
Arcadia 24 watt 12% uv-b. My basking temps are currently unavailable because her lights have shut off, but I will post them tomorrow. I will also be sure to get new thermometers

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
The screen is more of a fine mesh and the uvb is about four months old. I don’t quite know what you mean by where it is, I’m sorry

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The screen is more of a fine mesh and the uvb is about four months old. I don’t quite know what you mean by where it is, I’m sorry
You said it was top of screen --- fine mesh it needs to be inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays --- please get it inside or take the screen off so its unobstructed -- if you want to hang it inside the tank I can post things to use to do that w/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would be fantastic, thank you!
Ok so you can use 3M Velcro fasteners --- long plastic zip ties - fishing line or picture wire hangers - I recommend those - it needs to be directly over a basking decor piece 12-15 inches

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
Ok so you can use 3M Velcro fasteners --- long plastic zip ties - fishing line or picture wire hangers - I recommend those - it needs to be directly over a basking decor piece 12-15 inches
Okay, I will install the light as soon as possible

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, I will install the light as soon as possible
Ok -- watch his behavior after you get everything adjusted -- but we need those surface basking temps taken w / a digital probe thermometer 95-100--- once we get everything adjusted we can move onto other things that are causing this behavior but we must rule this stuff out first

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She has since been on medication
What medication was prescribed? What was the diagnosis by your vet?
What does her daily diet look like? Has she lost any weight?

Can you post pictures of Nutmeg and your enclosure? Don't move your UVB inside of your tank (under your mesh) if you can't keep it 12-15 inches away from the basking surface. It is fine ontop of your screen as long as it's around 10 inches or so from the basking surface.

-Brandon

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
What medication was prescribed? What was the diagnosis by your vet?
What does her daily diet look like? Has she lost any weight?

Can you post pictures of Nutmeg and your enclosure? Don't move your UVB inside of your tank (under your mesh) if you can't keep it 12-15 inches away from the basking surface. It is fine ontop of your screen as long as it's around 10 inches or so from the basking surface.

-Brandon

10isntA#

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nutmeg
We were given liquid diet and liquid calcium as well as coccidia medication (I don’t remember the exact name of it). We were not given a diagnosis, just things that it probably wasn’t (eggs). I offer her mustard greens and/or kale daily, but she doesn’t eat it. I also offer dubia roaches every two days. I don’t beleive she has lost weight.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom