Beardie has stress marks only when in viv!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commissaar

Hi all hope you are having happy holidays.

I have a roughly 2.5 year old beardie, I've had her since she was about 6 months old. She's 20 inches long and weighs about 500g. She has no issues eating and has a diet of calci/phoenix worms, dubias, bok choi, and a cycle of other fruits and veg and the occasional wax worm or beetle grub. She doesn't have any issues pooping and takes a bath weekly. Vet has done bloods - no issues, no parasites in a fecal and an ultrasound shows nothing. (Except a slightly rounded liver apparently which the vet was a bit confused about?)

She has basking temps of 35-40c, she has an arcadia t5 long bulb which was changed in the last 6 months and a mercury vapor bulb that was changed in the last year (I forgot the brand, its either exo terra or arcadia).

My issue is that she seems to hate her viv! The temps are all fine with a gradient, a hide, and plenty of things to climb on, the humidity is fine and I check the temperature with a pointer gun so I know it's accurate. Today she was basking at a temperature of 37c and she had these awful stress marks all over her belly. I know that they go darker to absorb light but her beard was darkening too. As soon as I took her out of the viv she brightened up and the stress marks disappeared. She's had the same viv her entire life and we haven't recently moved. Is it that she just wants attention or is it that the stress marks can also appear due to the darkening in basking?

If you want pictures you can see my previous posts for her setup. Thank you :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The only thing that comes to mind is the lighting --- what is the distance for the T 5 in the tank ? Not sure about the rounded liver that is something Tracie Drache613 would haft to address --- can you post some pics of her so we can see the stress marks
Karrie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hi! The T5 is just over 20cm away from her.

Here is her 'moody' colour when basking at 37c, with clear 'stress marks' on her belly and a darker chin:
https://imgur.com/a/XTdrZia

And here is her just a minute after I scoop her out of the viv, much lighter and brighter:
https://imgur.com/a/rGsly0O

I know that they get darker to absorb heat but I wonder if these stress marks are normal...
Thanks for your advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes normal coloring -- the brighter colors usually mean they are happy
Karrie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Yeah, same as always this morning, I went to see her a couple of hours after her light had been on and there she was, basking with the foulest dark beard I ever saw. As soon as I scooped her up to let her run around on my desk for a few hours she brightens up immediately and goes a lovely marmalade colour. I guess she just likes the company XD

Thanks and merry christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom