Beardie Feeding article in Reptiles Magazine 2013 annual

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

I have had the Reptiles Magazine 2013 annual issue laying around here since last fall. Three days ago my husband brought home a 4 year old beardie that was no longer wanted by his original owner. I remembered there being an article on feeding beardies so I pulled it out just to look and see what it said. I've kept many different herps in the past 20 years but never a beardie (believe it or not!) so I thought I'd give it a quick read. In the article in talking about live feeders there was a list of good insects to feed. In the list was earthworms and redworms. Along with the usual crickets, roaches, superworms, silkworms, etc. Seeing as I keep box turtles and a blue tongued skink I always have feeder nightcrawlers in the house. So I cut one up into three sections and this beardie loved them. He also loves superworms, btw. Anyway, in searching on here I see that most people believe nightcrawlers are not good to feed. However, this article clearly lists them as a good food source. Has anyone else read this article? While I realize it is not a feeder commonly thought of when it comes to beardies, it is a very healthy food source for box turtles and blue tongued skinks. And many others as well. So I'm kind of wondering what others think, especially since that article has been printed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't read that article. As far as I know, earthworms and other "wild" insects are a no no because they could carry pesticides or other undesirables that could hurt your dragon. I never gave much thought to feeder/safe source earthworms because of that.

lisa127

Original Poster
These are nightcrawlers that I buy at PetSmart. My blue tongued skink has been eating them for over 14 years and has never had parasites. My boxies also eat them.

I looked at the article again. In the about the author part it says he is the person who owns this site. So now it really confuses me why everyone here thinks nightcrawlers are a no no. Seeing as how Oscar actually liked them, I'd love to know for sure if they are ok.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they're feeder worms they may be just fine then. My understanding is that outside bugs are off limits due to possible pesticide contamination or parasites. If they're from a trusted source I don't see why not but someone on here with more experience may have some additional thoughts.

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
as long as they come from a good source and are bred to be used as feeders they are probably fine. any recommendations against them are probably geared towards wild-caught worms. also, worms that are raised as bait, as opposed to as feeders, should be avoided since they may not have been raised in as hygienic conditions, since they are not intended as a pet food source, and thus could also have parasites.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Lisa....I've owned beardies for 20 years, and have fed them nightcrawlers off + on through the years. They are full of moisture, protein + calcium and are good for dehydrated dragons. As long as they are from a good source, they can be included in a well balanced diet. :)

lisa127

Original Poster
AHBD":1u6pnm7s said:
Hi Lisa....I've owned beardies for 20 years, and have fed them nightcrawlers off + on through the years. They are full of moisture, protein + calcium and are good for dehydrated dragons. As long as they are from a good source, they can be included in a well balanced diet. :)

Thanks for that info. Oscar loves superworms, but I do worry about constipation issues with those. He seems to also love nightcrawlers though. So I was thinking a nightcrawler once in a while might keep things moving along so the constipation won't be as much of a worry. So far he's been eating 5 or 6 superworms per day and is pooping daily so that's good.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
As others have said, nightcrawlers are fine as long as you aren't using "bait" quality ones. You want "pet" quality. Never feed your reptiles anything wild caught or from a bait shop as they could have anything from pesticides to parasites on them. Also can try hornworms. They are loaded with moisture as well and most dragons go crazy for them.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Is there actually a difference from bait store bugs and pet store bugs? It was my understanding that the suppliers are often the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom