Beardie Adolescence or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloraBelle

Hello! I am so glad we have this forum to post too when we become over-worried beardie parents!!!
I need some advice/opinions....

For the past three days or so, my Indy's appetite seems to be way off. He normally loves his dubia and other snacks. For the past three days, the only dubia he will eat are the freshly molted ones (just a few). He will also eat a few waxworms. Haven't seen him eat any of his greens lately (he usually eats at least a few bites).

He is not currently in shed (just completed a full shed last week). He will be 5 months old on July 5th, and he has just reached 16 inches in length (yes, he is a big boy). He has never been aggressive with me, but he now seems a bit more skittish than he was before. Wants to be hand-fed, and doesn't seem to want to eat out of his dish at all right now. He will "taste" the unmolted dubia, but then won't eat them....

Could this be the beginning of adolescence for him? I know he is not quite five months yet (end of week), but he is pretty big for his age, I think.... :) The skittishness is really new for him...
Thank you!
Flora Bell and Indy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At or around that age, they tend to go through a few changes in eating preferences as well as overall behavior.
He will calm down & become a very loving adult gradually as he gets older.
He could also be slowing down on his eating too, since he has gone through a rapid growth spurt. They often slow down to rest after a growth phase. He is a good sized for for his age, too! :D
Are his stools normal also?

Tracie

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Yes, stools seem normal. Plenty of urates, so not dehydrated. I wondered how long he could sustain the rapid growth without a break. He literally grew from 14.5 inches to 16 inches in about 1 week and a half!
I will just have to be patient and relax a bit. I do worry a bit about him. I have always had cats and dogs as pets, but Indy is my first reptile (not counting the poor little anoles and goldfish that I managed to kill as a child in the 1960s because I had no idea how to take care of them!) I don't want to mess anything up! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great, it doesn't sound like he has any health issues going on. He most likely needs some rest but to put your mind at ease you could always get a fecal done on him just to be sure there isn't any underlying issues.
That is a great growth rate though, no wonder he is tired! They do have a way of worrying us to death sometimes though.
Did he eat anything today?

Tracie

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Yes, he at a few dubia and some waxworms. Wouldn't touch a freshly molted superworm, though... unusual for him to pass up anything freshly molted!! He also ate a few bites of his salad... I was thinking of having a fecal done.... but the stools seem normal. I may do it anyway. :) Thank you for writing posting!!!

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Update on Indy...
I had the fecal done, and he has no parasites at all, so that's not an issue. His appetite is still way down compared to what it was... some days he only eats a couple of dubia and maybe a superworm or two. He is eating more greens than he did before...but not "lots" by any stretch. He doesn't seem to be losing weight, but he has stopped the crazy fast growth... He is around 320 grams at 6 months. How much "should" he be eating right about now? Thanks!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom