Beardie acting strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my baby beardie, Ozzy, for a few months now, and since we got him he has almost consistently had stress marks and was doing this strange tilting action where he would constantly lean to his right and sometimes flip over and fall off things. This would happen for a day or so and then he would go back to being normal the next day. One day was particularly bad and he had not eaten much for a few day so I took him to our local vet, concerned about bone disease or a neurological condition. She concluded that my cage setup was perfect, so that was not the issue. However, she suggested feeding him in a separate area since the crickets had been hiding under objects, making it hard for him to catch them. She also gave me medicine to give him in case he had a parasite.

After we changed his eating habits, he got better after about a week. He seemed fine, ate well, pooped regularly, and has molted a couple times. He seemed completely back to normal! Except that the stress marks were still there and his beard had started getting extremely dark when I would enter the room. I figured he was just skittish, but then he started making these odd gasping noises. Again I took him to the vet (alert: I have extreme worrying capacity!). They said he was just trying to puff up his non-existent beard in order to seem bigger and dominant and that the noise was probably just the sound of the moistness of his mouth when he opened it (I had been worrying about a respiratory infection, but what they said made sense)

Just yesterday, my town was hit by hurricane Sandy, and knocked out our electricity completely, just after he had eaten. Today we have regained our power, but Ozzy is again doing the tilting, which he has not done for quite some time, and refusing to eat. He is still pooping regularly, so that leads me to believe it is not caused by impaction (my initial thought since the lack of heat may have caused him trouble digesting?) and the end of his tail, which i had noticed before but it has now gotten worse, is getting quite darker than the rest of him. I've read about tail rot and I sincerely hope this is not happening to my poor baby beardie! I know this is a lot of different symptoms to consider but I would like a second opinion on what might be the cause of these strange behaviors, especially since I would feel quite foolish if I was to bring him to the vet ONCE AGAIN and there not be a thing wrong with him!
Please help if you have any ideas at all about what I should do! Thank you!

vampy

Juvie Member
What sort of UV light are you using, and what is your calcium supplementation schedule?

Did the vet test for andenovirus?

Can you post pictures of his tail? Has it had any sort of damage or injury? The ends of their tails are often darker than the rest, so if it's not been injured at all, chances are it's perfectly normal.

ozzybabe77

Original Poster
The UV light is a Reptisun 10.0 UVB 26W over one end of the cage and the basking lamp (100W with a dimmer) on the other end. The vet did test for andenovirus and it came up negative - positives! :D His tail has not had any damage, to my knowledge but I am sad to say that on the first week I had him, the silly thing jumped out of my hand onto the floor! :cry: but he did not seem to have any damage from it, and for that I am grateful!
pics of his tail:

ozzybabe77

Original Poster
OH i fogot :banghead: i dust his crickets with calcium/vitamin D3 supplement every day (he is fed once a day and eats roughly ten crickets daily - except for today obviously, since the little punk doesnt seem to be hungry, though I've tried several times to get him to eat

vampy

Juvie Member
My first thought of something that would need ruling out would be that some sort of head trauma may have resulted from the fall, but as he's seen the vet since then and got the all clear, it's probably nothing to do with that (and beardies do often think they can fly and fall long distances without any damage), so I'd guess that the strange movements are due to low calcium caused by not enough UV light, and the stress marks are almost certainly due to the light.

The coil lights aren't really suitable for beardies cos they don't emit the right wavelengths of light to allow the body to make d3 to assist with calcium absorption, and they can cause eye damage. Even in animals with no eye damage, they are often a bit dull and lethargic and stress marky and don't eat as well under coil lights. This coupled with the fact that it's far away from his basking light means he's almost certainly not getting enough UV.

I'd recommend you change the bulb for a tube bulb, either the reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12%, and fit it so he can get 6-8 inches away when he's basking so he can get his heat and UV at the same time. If you make this change his stress marks should go away very fast and his appetite pick up, and hopefully his head tilting and loss of balance will improve too.

You didn't mention your supplementation, you should be giving him calcium (+d3) one meal a day, 5 days a week, and multivitamins on the other 2 days.

Your image of the tail didn't work, so if you can post it again that would be great. If you still can't get it to work, I'd recommend that when you bathe him you gently rub the end of his tail between your fingers after he's soaked for a bit to make sure there's no retained shed, and keep an eye on the level of the blackness. If it's actually BLACK rather than just a dark grey, and if it spreads further up the tail I might be concerned, but if it's just dark and he can feel it when you touch it, it's probably totally normal.

vampy

Juvie Member
ozzybabe77":1h5zrb7i said:
OH i fogot :banghead: i dust his crickets with calcium/vitamin D3 supplement every day (he is fed once a day and eats roughly ten crickets daily - except for today obviously, since the little punk doesnt seem to be hungry, though I've tried several times to get him to eat

Okay, I suggest you change the dusting schedule to what I said above...5 days calcium+d3, 2 days multivitamins, and you should feed him more. young dragons need a LOT of food, and should be fed twice a day with as many crickets as they can eat in 10 minutes (or even 3 times if they are really young). I dunno if he eats veggies, but you should at least leave them in his tank with him and hope he gets a taste for them...you can pour his crickets into the bowl of veggies and he might accidentally eat some and realise he likes it. A list of suitable stuff can be found here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html basically daily staples should be dark leafy greens (but not kale or spinach), and/or squash, and you can add most other fruits and veggies in small amounts from time to time, but check the chart first to make sure it's something he can have.

I feed my babies about 2 hours after lights on, and again 2 hours before lights off, and leave greens/squash/calciworms in their viv all day for them to eat as they feel like it.

If you change his bulb for a good tube bulb and increase the amount of food you give him hopefully he'll become a lot happier and start growing big and strong :)

ozzybabe77

Original Poster
Thanks so much :) Relating to the UV bulb, would you suggest one that stretches across the top length of the viv? Because currently, i cannot fit both lights on the same end of the cage above his basking area. This was what we were going to do at first when we first got Ozzy, but we couldn't find one to fit the size of our cage! we figured we'd just graduate to one like that when we got him a larger cage after he grew too big for his current one
(going to try another picture here, dunno if itll work this time! hopefully one of them will, they're both the same picture)
this is a pic of my lighting setup (with the basking lamp on the right over his rock)

1030122220.jpg

ozzybabe77

Original Poster
Oh my god, I was just sitting here and all of the sudden Ozzy starts shaking his whole head and body back and forth VERY QUICKLY and he did it for a few seconds then stopped then started up again. He did it a few times and it honestly looked like how you would imagine a person having a seizure looks. It scared me!! He's stopped now, but I've never seen him do that before! He hit his head on the ground a couple of times... he just molted a few days ago is it possible he's just trying to get left-over dead skin off? D:

vampy

Juvie Member
They do move around strangely when trying to get shed skin off, especially on their faces, but I don't think it looks like a seizure, and they don't normally hit their heads. Seizures can be caused by low calcium, so I'd replace his bulb asap with a long tube type...you'll probably have to do some fiddling around to get it mounted on such a small tank, but it should really help him.

If you're unsure if what you saw was a seizure, have a look on youtube, there are a fair few videos of beardies seizing.

ETA: I'm not sure where you live, but if it's sunny where you are, you could take him outside in a plastic tub to get some natural sunlight for 30 mins or so, that will also help him.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
That does sound like a UVB issue to me too. I'd work on getting that ReptiSun 10.0 tube or Arcadia 12% tube as soon as I could :)
Since babies tend to grow pretty quickly and he won't need that sized viv forever, it's fine to lay the UVB tube & fixture across the top of the tank for now until you get a larger one! :) (adults need at least a 40gallon breeder sized tank)
Good luck with your little guy! He looks so teensy and adorable <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom