Bearded Dragons and uros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKHerps

hello everyone! im new to this site, so this is my first post (im so proud!)

we have a male bearded dragon that is about 17 inches long. he is super docile and he never minds our snakes when they come out.
We have a basking temp. of 110 on some days and it is usuall 108.

but, we are planning on buying a female uromastyx of the same size that is also very very docile (she literraly sleeps on top of her bearded dragons)

so heres the question....Can my beardie live with that uromastyx? some issues that i havee noticed that people mention are the humidity,temp,and feeding. so lets adress those in this case.

our beardie eats in a seperate cage so the uro' will not se the crickets or eat them.
The uro needs a temp of between 110 to 120 degrees and a humidity of around 40%, which we maintain for the bearded dragon.

again, can they live together if monitered 24/7?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I dont know the tank conditions needed for a uro, but I wouldnt chance it myself. Ive seen it done at some seedy petshops so if they think its ok I really dont....lol

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I agree with Tom. Uro's are much like beardies in the fact that they have a low tolerance for cohabitating with other lizards.
I personally do not reccomend housing them together. It could result in injury, which is just not worth the risk, if you ask me!

KKHerps

Original Poster
i do agree with you guys i shouldnt take a chance. and pet shops do that, but you should never compair anything to a petshop as they are crude places.

but just out of curiosity, what could a beardie co exist with?

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Dragons are solitary creatures. They don't even like other dragons so the answer is nothing at all except you.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Our local zoo keeps uros and beardies together but I don't know how they stop them from fighting. I wouldn't worry about the husbandry issues (heating, food, humidity, etc) near as much as I would worry about fighting. Even two beardies cannot be housed together (again, at the zoo maybe it' big enough that they each have their own space? I don't know) so I cannot imagine a beardie and a Uro would coexist happily. Your beardie is probably very possesive of his cage and would likely fight the intruder causing one or both animals to be injured. I know that an entirely knew set-up is expensive, but it is necessary.
Sara

KKHerps

Original Poster
Well im not going to mix species, but when i came over to my friend (he breeds Beardies), and i saw the 2 little tiny lizards called Schnieder Skinks. They grow to about 14 inches long. the breeder said that they can coexist. is this true? i mean they are pretty small compared to the 17 inch adult beardies.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Sure, if you want the beardie to eventually eat them. Beardies don't co-exist with other species in a tank environment. I would never even put two dragons together to co-habitat.

cheese

Hatchling Member
spurlee01":7727a said:
Our local zoo keeps uros and beardies together but I don't know how they stop them from fighting. I wouldn't worry about the husbandry issues (heating, food, humidity, etc) near as much as I would worry about fighting. Even two beardies cannot be housed together (again, at the zoo maybe it' big enough that they each have their own space? I don't know) so I cannot imagine a beardie and a Uro would coexist happily. Your beardie is probably very possesive of his cage and would likely fight the intruder causing one or both animals to be injured. I know that an entirely knew set-up is expensive, but it is necessary.
Sara
man thats not right :?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Mistyck":5c7d6 said:
Sure, if you want the beardie to eventually eat them. Beardies don't co-exist with other species in a tank environment. I would never even put two dragons together to co-habitat.

On this note. A beardie would out grow the Uro. So it might become a snack.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Bearded Dragons are solitary creatures...Period! That only come together in the wild for breeding purposes.
They do not like living with any other creatures their kind or not.
Sure you may see sometimes people that do, but I personally feel bad for their beardies as they are only stressing them out(as well as the other creature). Stress compromises their immune system causing beardies to become susceptible to illness because of it. It is not...an is never...a good idea to.

PS
Pet stores may do it too, but it isn't because it's okay...it's because it saves them money, time, and space. :banghead:

Quetico

I have a friend that has a beardie and a uro living together. They've been very happy room mates for years. No problems whatsoever.

I also believe that *adult* beardies can be housed in pairs, in a larger size enclosure. It all depends on the individual animals. If you put two of them together, you'll know pretty quickly if it will work or not (black beards, etc.). The problem you have is that if you buy a uro, and it doesn't work, then you're committed to a second cage.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Take a look around the site at the pictures of dragons missing parts, or the horror stories of people who have lost 1 or both dragons because they put in a 2nd. Even if they've been raised together there's a huge chance of attacks, stress or over breeding which leads to early death of females.

In my honest opinion it's Cruel and Uncaring to house dragons together with other animals or even other dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom