Bearded dragon trouble pooping

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
My bearded dragon hasn’t pooped for a week. Today, he had a liquify urate, but no poop. I feel like he would have poop too. He was having diarrhea before he didn’t poop. On top of this his beard is a little dark, and it looked like he was going to go but didn’t. What should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon hasn’t pooped for a week. Today, he had a liquify urate, but no poop. I feel like he would have poop too. He was having diarrhea before he didn’t poop. On top of this his beard is a little dark, and it looked like he was going to go but didn’t. What should I do?
As long as surface basking temps are good uvb is placed and distanced correctly he should go- if he's having luiquidy stools feed him some raw shredded sweet potato see if that will firm it up- is the poop really stinky like it smells so bad you want to leave the room? If so a fecal test can be done to test for parasites- NO ENEMAS! Take the poop in and have it tested

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
As long as surface basking temps are good uvb is placed and distanced correctly he should go- if he's having luiquidy stools feed him some raw shredded sweet potato see if that will firm it up- is the poop really stinky like it smells so bad you want to leave the room? If so a fecal test can be done to test for parasites- NO ENEMAS! Take the poop in and have it tested
Ok. Thank you! The poop previously hasn’t been that stinky. Just normal poop stinky. I just gave him a bath to see if that helps. He (she) laid eggs Wednesday. Do you think that might be causing her to have trouble getting out the stool? Because her butt was a little sour looking afterward.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok. Thank you! The poop previously hasn’t been that stinky. Just normal poop stinky. I just gave him a bath to see if that helps. He (she) laid eggs Wednesday. Do you think that might be causing her to have trouble getting out the stool? Because her butt was a little sour looking afterward.
Not sure - let's have ahbd see what she thinks- she's more experienced w/ the egg laying thing
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi, that's not a long time and there's many things that could contribute to loose poos. Next time take pics of it because sometimes people think it's a problem when it isn't.
What has she been eating ? That's always important to mention .

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hi, that's not a long time and there's many things that could contribute to loose poos. Next time take pics of it because sometimes people think it's a problem when it isn't.
What has she been eating ? That's always important to mention .
Mustard greens, crickets, and butternut squash purée. I have pictures of the poop. The poop itself seems to look fine, it is just that he goes frequency. It also looked like he was trying to go today but couldn’t. And he had a urate but no actual poop.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Mustard greens, crickets, and butternut squash purée. I have pictures of the poop. The poop itself seems to look fine, it is just that he goes frequency. It also looked like he was trying to go today but couldn’t. And he had a urate but no actual poop.
Also, he’s been having a black beard since yesterday afternoon. I’m wondering if it is because he needs to poop. But, I think there is also a chance it is from stress. Because he was handled a lot over the past couple of days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This could all be stressed if she was not to happy with all the handling. Did you have company ? You can cut the squash puree down to 1-2 X a week at most. Give her cubes of it instead.
I almost started calling Cole a he, come on now and practice....Cole laid a bunch of eggs and she's your little girl now. :)

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
This could all be stressed if she was not to happy with all the handling. Did you have company ? You can cut the squash puree down to 1-2 X a week at most. Give her cubes of it instead.
I almost started calling Cole a he, come on now and practice....Cole laid a bunch of eggs and she's your little girl now. :)
I always try to cut down the squash, but it really helps her eat her greens. So, I never know when to stop. I always get close to stopping, and then something happens where she loses her appetite. So, I never quite get there. But, I do try to give as little as possible. She was not happy with the handeling. I held her on Monday. It made her upset. Then, I gave a bath yesterday and today. Which also made her upset. Yesterday, she went to vet to get the fecal redone and was definitely not happy about that. The only reason why i wasn’t sure it was stress was because she had a black beard like 4 hours after all of that. It was bright right afterward. Also, I found it weird how after a week without pooping she would only have a urate, and no poop. Thank you for your help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K you can cut the baths out, only doing so if she's dirty or maybe once a month. Some beardies hate them and Cole is one of them.
All the trips to the vet are also messing with her, especially if she had an enema or was treated for parasites. Beardies can live with low parasite levels so when well meaning owners keep running back for tests + meds. it is upsetting the gut flora and causing lots of stress. Some dragons stress poop, [ that could be why you see only urate ] just like certain humans and even dogs. Give her a break from the baths + the vets.
Is this the same vet that couldn't even identify the eggs Cole had on xray just a week before she laid them, saying they were intestines ? If so I would never set foot in that office.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
O.K you can cut the baths out, only doing so if she's dirty or maybe once a month. Some beardies hate them and Cole is one of them.
All the trips to the vet are also messing with her, especially if she had an enema or was treated for parasites. Beardies can live with low parasite levels so when well meaning owners keep running back for tests + meds. it is upsetting the gut flora and causing lots of stress. Some dragons stress poop, [ that could be why you see only urate ] just like certain humans and even dogs. Give her a break from the baths + the vets.
Is this the same vet that couldn't even identify the eggs Cole had on xray just a week before she laid them, saying they were intestines ? If so I would never set foot in that office.
Ok. I don’t normally give baths. She was just dirty and vet said to do it to get her to poop. Then, I thought she might need to poop today so I did it again. No, it isn’t the same vet. I went to a different vet, so I could see if it was high levels of parasites. Because I didn’t want to give her medicine that she didn’t need. The stress poop makes sense. Her beard seems to get brighter when I give her food, but then goes back to being dark. Also, after the bath it was brighter for a little while, but not during the bath. I think this vet is a bit better, he seems to not like ennemas and was saying bearded dragons can get easily stressed.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Ok. I don’t normally give baths. She was just dirty and vet said to do it to get her to poop. Then, I thought she might need to poop today so I did it again. No, it isn’t the same vet. I went to a different vet, so I could see if it was high levels of parasites. Because I didn’t want to give her medicine that she didn’t need. The stress poop makes sense. Her beard seems to get brighter when I give her food, but then goes back to being dark. Also, after the bath it was brighter for a little while, but not during the bath. I think this vet is a bit better, he seems to not like ennemas and was saying bearded dragons can get easily stressed.
Thank you!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
You're welcome ! Can you post a current picture of her ? And if the squash puree helps her eat greens then just a little bit is fine.
Ok, thank you! Her beard is sometimes brighter and sometimes darker than this. It was better early in the morning. Then, it was quite dark for a second when I thought she was trying to poop. Then, it wasn’t too bad again. Then, I gave her a bath and it is dark now.
AF4313A5-2CE2-40B5-943D-362665F0CCB5.jpeg
84315632-E821-4B8A-B33D-888B65724EDF.jpeg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom