Bearded Dragon not eating as much-not pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach529

My son has a bearded dragon that he got in October 2013 from a local chain petstore; we would estimate him to be about a year old right now. His diet has always been a variety of vegetables with romain as the primary vegetable base and all of it chopped and mixed together such as romain with a carrot and maybe a strawberry or romain with peas or apple or something like that. He was fed this daily in the morning and then given crickets almost daily in the late afternoon. He is in a 50 gallon tank with heat light and UBV light that came in a bearded dragon kit. We did recently replace the UVB bulb because we had heard that they should every 6 months or so. About 2 weeks ago, I didn't have any romain so gave him a mix of just kale and collard greens and he did not eat that at all. At the time, we were out of crickets as well so he went about 4 days without eating anything but we did bath him to ensure hydration. We went back to giving him romain and got crickets again...he would eat maybe 1 or two crickets but continued to not touch the vegetables. This whole time he has stayed alert when he is awake but he seems to be sleeping more and chooses to sleep on his back wall as high and close to the lights as he can where he used to sleep on his basking log. When we hold him and interact with him, he seems normal. I should also mention during that time he stopped pooping but we didn't think anything of it due to the lack of eating. He started pooping again about 5-7 days ago but it was a clear gel like poop and not his normal poop. Then on Sunday(two days ago) we had just given him fresh vegetables and I went in to check on him and he had a prolapse hanging out of his vent. We live 100 miles from any vet that will treat exotics and it was a weekend but I was able to get a hold of an emergency vet that we brought him to which fixed the prolapsed cloacal and thought it was due to dehydration so he also gave him an iv of fluids. He was not an expert in exotics so wasn't sure if there could be any other underlying problems. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from the vet that is supposed to be an expert. Carl seems to still be very alert but still is not eating much, not even crickets. We are dropper feeding him baby food which he seems to like and I have started to put full romain leaves in his cage sprinkled with baby food which he has been seen to nibble on but I know he still is not getting enough to sustain him. Can there be something else wrong with him or do they go through stages of not eating and sleeping more and since he is still very alert, we shouldn't be concerned?

Hello, I figured I would start you off with some help. I am by no means anywhere as intelligent as most of the people on this thread. However my guy had experienced the same thing this past winter. Called brumation, I am just not sure if it is common during this time of the year. Mine was about a year old and he did not go into a deep sleep. Just was not eating very much. I would try and figured out if brumation is common during the summer months. Do not force him to eat any food also, you can offer it, but do not force as of now. They can go a long time without food. Keep offering it, give warm baths. I say warm baths because there is the chance always of impaction, although it does not sound like it with the sleeping. Where are you located? If I had to bet I would guess brumation. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in. However in the mean time google brumation and learn more about it

Coach529

Original Poster
Hi, We live in ND. I suspected brumation as well but had read a little on it and everything said it happens in fall and winter. It did just occur to me though that at the same time of this, we put blankets on my sons window in his room because school was out and he no longer needed to get up early and the sun was waking him up...maybe this is faking Carl into thinking it is winter??

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
That would make sense to me, is there anyway to remove the window coverings or move Carl's enclosure??? Try that ASAP if you haven't already and see what happens.... romaine shouldn't be fed as the staple green to beardies as it's really not a nutritious choice.. get over this hump with your pet and check out the feeding section here, 1st post is nutrition website moved (it's beautifuldragons, but having trouble posting link here) it's a color coded easy to use chart..

That'll give you much better choices, maybe mix the romaine for a while before phasing it out, much like you would when switching a dog food... good luck and let us know how he fares..

Yes show your bearded it is warm out, maybe crack a window or take him out. It sounds exactly like what my guy does. He needs to know that it is warm and summer not winter. If you take him outside make sure you have a leash. Also try taking the blankets down.

Coach529

Original Poster
Thanks, it wasn't until I started typing to you guys that the blankets on the window even occured to me that it could have an affect on Carl. I will take those off right away and also have my son take Carl outside for a bit too. Thanks! I will let you know if anything changes.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Be careful taking him out especially if he's never been.. they can move faster than you think and try not to lean over your dragon creating a shadow in the sun as he might get spooked into thinking he's in danger and potentially puff out/blackbeard you..good luck..

Coach529

Original Poster
He pooped a normal looking poop :D That at least rules out impaction...its the little things that makes this beardie grandma happy. I also read everywhere that our UVB light may have been inadequate so I have also ordered the one recommended by everyone(Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0) and we have opened the blinds and removed the blankets from my sons window. Hopefully these are all positive fixes and he will be back to his old self soon.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You said you have a uvb light from the kit. If its a coil or compact those can also cause lethargy and appetite problems. The most recommended on this site is reptisun 10.0 Tube. It needs to be mounted in the tank and he needs to be able to get within 6to 8 inches of it.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Sometimes they will try to brumate at odd times of year and honestly its hard to get them to stop. Keeping it warm and removing hiding spots can help them stay more alert and hungry. Usually by the second year they will fall in line. Try not to worry even though its very hard. Keep him hydrated and keep offering greens. Adults only eat about 20% insect matter so he will get plenty of protein from a good quality green. Arugula is a great and enticing choice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom