Bearded Dragon Health Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardo29

I have a 9 year old bearded dragon named Beardo. He's generally very healthy and energetic, but there's a couple things I've noticed over the past couple months.

The main issue is his tail. I let him free-roam, so I've had a few close calls where I've almost stepped on him... The last time I ended up getting a pretty decent amount of weight on the base of his tail and pelvic area. He seemed to brush it off well, but now every time I grab his tail or maneuver it, especially upwards, he freaks out and starts to run away.. It seems like he's in pain or distressed for some reason. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be or what I could do to solve this issue? I feel like taking him to a vet wouldn't really yield any result besides maybe finding out what's wrong, but would there be some sort of Beardo physiotherapy I could do for him?

2nd issue: I've noticed that he doesn't shed fully or very quickly. When he was younger, he would shed just fine but as he's gotten older he'll just stay grey for a few weeks a lot of the time. I'm wondering if it's a dehydration issue or a nutritional issue as I feed him a vegan diet. I'm wondering if he may need more fat than the limited amount of flax and hemp seeds that I give him. As he's aged I've noticed he's basically always dehydrated now too as he always tends to have sunken in eyes. I've tried giving him water through a dropper but he doesn't like it. I feed him lots of water rich fruits and veggies so I'm kinda confused about the dehydration issue actually.

Any help is much appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 9 year old bearded dragon named Beardo. He's generally very healthy and energetic, but there's a couple things I've noticed over the past couple months.

The main issue is his tail. I let him free-roam, so I've had a few close calls where I've almost stepped on him... The last time I ended up getting a pretty decent amount of weight on the base of his tail and pelvic area. He seemed to brush it off well, but now every time I grab his tail or maneuver it, especially upwards, he freaks out and starts to run away.. It seems like he's in pain or distressed for some reason. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be or what I could do to solve this issue? I feel like taking him to a vet wouldn't really yield any result besides maybe finding out what's wrong, but would there be some sort of Beardo physiotherapy I could do for him?

2nd issue: I've noticed that he doesn't shed fully or very quickly. When he was younger, he would shed just fine but as he's gotten older he'll just stay grey for a few weeks a lot of the time. I'm wondering if it's a dehydration issue or a nutritional issue as I feed him a vegan diet. I'm wondering if he may need more fat than the limited amount of flax and hemp seeds that I give him. As he's aged I've noticed he's basically always dehydrated now too as he always tends to have sunken in eyes. I've tried giving him water through a dropper but he doesn't like it. I feed him lots of water rich fruits and veggies so I'm kinda confused about the dehydration issue actually.

Any help is much appreciated!
@AHBD
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They tend to shed differently when they are older, than when they are younger. It takes longer because they aren't growing
as they were when they were younger.
Does he have a black beard at all? When he walks, does he appear to limp any?
It is possible that he is a little sore, but hopefully nothing is broken. If you want to go ahead & give a few warm baths weekly,
& let him swim or move around, that can be beneficial for him if he is injured somewhat.
Do you have pictures of him?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom