Bearded Dragon Diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBeardieTheo

I’m 15 so if I make any grammar mistakes just ignore them and move on haha. I’m on this website because I want to find a good diet idea for my beardie and partially because I don’t know what to give him. He’s had a rough life in the past and he deserves a lot and I want to give him that. So, I’m thinking about giving him a yummy diet that is enjoyable and will fill him up to where he won’t still be hungry.Any Ideas? Please share them thanks! :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to the Forum. :D
It is hard finding all of the right things to feed your dragon. What insects do you plan on
feeding him & what is his age?

Tracie

MyBeardieTheo

Original Poster
Drache613":29kj6drn said:
Hello,

It is hard finding all of the right things to feed your dragon. What insects do you plan on

Tracie

Thanks! :D
Each day I feed him 15 superworms and i'll give him 2 hornworms. Every time me and my mom go to store I try new bugs that they have and that have value to a beardie. Right now I so scared of giving something for his vegetables/fruits because everytime i search something up there's always two sides about it. So, i give him mustard greens and collard greens.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I do this as much as possible : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

This is an eye opening : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=230705&hilit=wild+beardies+stomach+contents

and in general : FEEDING SCHEDULE (I recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)
>>> when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ?
>>> when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ?
good guide is here : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Suppliments used ?
>>> is the calcium powder vitD3 fortified ? == use with caution.
Potential risks are hypervitaminosis D3 (from excessive ingestion of vitamin D3) and inability to metabolise dietary calcium leading to a buildup of calcium in your beardies blood (hypercalcemia).

basic Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

Subadult (12 months - 24 months)
one insect feed per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily

Adult
I still give one insect meal per day (but it's smaller than the subadults get) + high calcium greens .

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

Hard and soft pellets are dubious , ok mixed in as softened croutons through their greens/salad (maybe).

Bites = rubbish food.
Canned insects = rubbish
Vacuum dried insects = rubbish.

Insects suitable for treats
wax worms
if beardie older than 12 months , not before
mealworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)
superworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MyBeardieTheo":2p9bi21o said:
Drache613":2p9bi21o said:
Hello,

Tracie

Thanks! :D
Each day I feed him 15 superworms and i'll give him 2 hornworms. Every time me and my mom go to store I try new bugs that they have and that have value to a beardie. Right now I so scared of giving something for his vegetables/fruits because everytime i search something up there's always two sides about it. So, i give him mustard greens and collard greens.

15 superworms per day !! .... you'll kill him either through liver desease or impaction.
See this : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom