Bearded Dragon Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinB

For those of you who have had the unlucky chance of experiencing one, does a bearded dragon bite hurt? They look like they have very sharp teeth. My guy Zeke is very friendly and has never tried to bite (knock on wood) but it looks like it would hurt if he did. I'm just curious what it feels like. (not that I want to experience it first hand.)

Do you have to worry about any diseases or anything if you get bit? I can imagine they can cause quite an infection if not washed out well.

Erin

\

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
It depends entirely on the kind of bite, a nip because he missed his food and got a finger doesnt hurt at all. A bite from an adult dragon whos frightened can hurt yes, but not as much as a dog or cat bite.

Bacteria wise there is far more bacteria in a cats mouth than a beardies. Just wash and clean and your fine.
My hands have been bitten all over by my little horrors when I first got them and none of my fingers have dropped off yet /wink

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I think their bites startle you more than they hurt. Then again, I've only received accidental bites(during feeding).

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
We're working with our new rescue, and she bites when scared... I think that and mid-air pancake/bloats were her only defense against the other owners.

at first I thought she related me to the other owner, but noooooo ... any hand-monster coming into her viv scares her, she bobs furiously at us to backoff, and if we don't she lurches and tries to chomp. (She'll even bob us when cleaning poo, you'd think she would want the ewwie out!)

She nailed me the other day during feeding time, the dubia moved just as I blinked, and she went for it... got the soft fleshy part of my thumb (at palm) -- a little neosporin and a bandaid for a day, it's fine.

With scared ones, I guess it depends on:
where you're bit ...
do you panic and pull away or do you hold still ...
if you don't pull away from the unexpectedness, it barely hurts... many teeth, very small tho :D

Crash has accidentally bit when overzealously going for cantaloupe from my hand (his fave) -- not his fault, I had it too close to fingertips! :shock:

wildrose9000ft

Hatchling Member
I was bit just a little while ago when giving Dusky some squash... He took the squash, but also my finger and started chewing!
It doesn't hurt too bad in my opinion because their teeth are pretty small.

spikez123

Hatchling Member
i was bit feeding worms to a thirteen inch dragon.
gulfbrzdawn":a90d6 said:
I think their bites startle you more than they hurt. Then again, I've only received accidental bites(during feeding).

i agree. and the thing to remember is once they realise they bit you they stop.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Maybe because my beardie is just a juvenile, but his teeth aren't sharp at all. It's more like bumps in gums, and it doesn't hurt at all if he misses during hand feedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom