Bearded dragon ate a food that should be safe but is having a bad reaction?

Asher3105

Hello, I have a male, year and some odd months old bearded dragon, and last night, i have him a date, the dried fruit thing. he was actually very into it, and I had to cut some of his bites short since he was trying to eat the whole thing. in all he ate about half of the date, which was about the size and thickness of an adult dubia, for reference. he had some calcium and dubias afterword, and all was good.

this morning however I woke up to the largest poop I've ever seen first off, and was honestly unsure if it was poop at all, until I found some normal looking poop and the urate. the poop had huge undigested date pieces, undigested dubia, and some normal poop throughout. with out getting to graphic, it looked like his insides were cleaned out, and I am not sure how pieces that large could have come form his back end (he is small for his age). because I use a dirt/sand substrate for a bioactive set up, I was not able to see how much liquid there was exactly, but I know it was a lot due to how the dirt turns dark, but doesn't clump. today, he is lethargic, dark colored, and uninterested in food, but basking normally. he does seem a tad dehydrated with how his skin does not bounce back when pinched, but he wouldn't accept misted greens in hopes of helping that.

I'm getting concerned, even thought its been less then 12 hours, but with the amount that came out of him, how everything was undigested, and the amount of liquid in the poop, not to mention how he is acting (he is normally SUPER energetic and food motivated) but at should I be concerned? I triple checked that dates were okay, because I was kind of surprised, and I know they are sugary, so is it possible he just had to much and it upset him? is it possible a poop that large kind of just tired/dehydrated him, and he will be okay in a bit? please let me know! and thank you for your time.

if it is absolutely necessary, I still do have the poop, but I cleaned it up from his tank for fear he would walk through it, because normally that is a big issue. so

I can also attach pictures of him, if that is helpful in any way.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I would attach pictures. Sounds like he has loose bowels which could be the case for the dehydration. @AHBD can you chime in.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It was probably just too rich for his system . He'll probably be fine in a day or so, be sure to give him some water or a short soak tomorrow. As a side note, you said that he ate " last night" so if this was late in the evening he wouldn't have time to properly digest a lot of heavy food if the heat lights went out shortly after.

Asher3105

Original Poster
It was probably just too rich for his system . He'll probably be fine in a day or so, be sure to give him some water or a short soak tomorrow. As a side note, you said that he ate " last night" so if this was late in the evening he wouldn't have time to properly digest a lot of heavy food if the heat lights went out shortly after.
oh shoot! thank you so much! I totally did not make that connection, but that is most likely part of what happened, since with the days getting shorter and everything!! I will definitely give him a good soak tomorrow! I'm glad It's nothing serious!! Thank you again!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom