Bearded Dragon Adult Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my adult bearded dragons Jax (female) and Lizzie (male) for a year and a half. We got them as juveniles, and they lived together the whole time. They eventually raised 12 healthy bearded dragon babies. They are still with me now. However, back to the adults. I have been keeping them in finely shaved walnut shavings. I knew this was bad, but I wanted to wait a while. However, I have time now and I need to know what to put in their cage, if not sand. Let me know soon, as I can go even tonight to the pet store and get the "new substrate."

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of us here use non adhesive shelf liner, slate tiles, reptile carpet, colored felt, rubber
mats, etc. We mostly like to stay away from loose substrate because it harbors bacteria &
contributes to impactions also.
Are your adults housed separately?

Tracie

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I use linoleum in mine and LOVE it!! It’s the type you buy off a roll , not the self adhesive as the glue isn’t safe on that , and it’s great. It’s easier to fit than tile since you only need a craft knife to cut it, it’s easier to clean than substrates like carpet, tile etc as the poop can’t get stuck down between tiles or smeared in carpet and it’s cheap to replace also.
I picked one that looked like sand
I just put a few slate pieces or rocks in there to help wear Marlow’s nails down
101427-3065976561.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ceramic floor tiles , I made my tanks to fit the standard size 12"x12" floor tiles which I simply drop in and slip to fit.

NO GLUE
NO GROUT
gavity holds them down

When it comes to cleaning, I simply use a bit of stiff wire to lift up one edge enough to slip it and lift it out …. it goes outside on the lawn and I attack it with the garden hose.
Let it dry and simply drop back in when clean and dry.

I like to put some absorbant paper towel over most the tiles to soften the surface the dragon is walking on.

I don't think there is a safe particulate substrate , but if you must have one , clean screened and dried playsand is the best particulate substrate for ADULT dragons.

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Thanks. I searched online and I found something called ¨River Rock Wallpaper¨ that seems nice. Here is the link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/York-Wallcoverings-River-Rock-Wallpaper-RN1064/204359981?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CDD%7C59-35_WALL/DECOR%7CNA%7CNA%7CWallpaper%7c71700000040256131%7c58700004329051087%7c92700036301967940%7cpla-472129838138-56104681822&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMCvhrTt3gIVdiCtBh27SA7VEAQYBCABEgKhL_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I will get it today, so if this is not neccessarily good for them, tell me before 10:00. Thanks for your help. Tracie, my bearded dragons will have a screen between them now. This is because my parents do not want to get a new cage because we already have 4 in the house so....Anyways, thanks for your help and I will get the screen and the river rock wallpaper today. THANKS!!!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'd suggest you don't keep them together due to the stress and dominance issues it can cause. Even putting a screen in between they can still find a way to each other.

For substrates loose ones really aren't all that safe at all. I use slate tile like the kind you get from lowes or Home Depot, and I use those for my tanks and they seem to work rather well. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Me too I use slate tile as well -- I clean my tank w/ vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle- wipe up w/ paper towels- works great and gets rid of the smell --- I pull them up every so often and clean the bottom of the tank cleaning up the calcium powder etc......... if the poo is real runny and runs between the tiles they get pulled right away-- but for the most part its pretty easy to maintain--- I think I spend like $10 on the tile and my husband cut to fit the tank --

Karrie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
lizardgirlforever":29o9jt2n said:
Slate tiles? That sounds pretty good.
Yeah they are great.
KarrieRee":29o9jt2n said:
Me too I use slate tile as well -- I clean my tank w/ vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle- wipe up w/ paper towels- works great and gets rid of the smell --- I pull them up every so often and clean the bottom of the tank cleaning up the calcium powder etc......... if the poo is real runny and runs between the tiles they get pulled right away-- but for the most part its pretty easy to maintain--- I think I spend like $10 on the tile and my husband cut to fit the tank --

Karrie
Yes same here!! I love the slate tiles and so do my beardies it seems like. They are also super easy to clean. :D

The only problem is that your dragons can't burrow directly into the flooring, so you would probably have to provide some paper towels or fleece scraps for them to cuddle up in if your dragon is a fan of burrowing.

Which my youngest Beardie loves burrowing, he burrows under his paper towels every single night so he doesn't have tile Yet, but when he is older I might switch but right now paper towels is the best and easiest substrate to have for a baby dragon.

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Thanks! My beardies now live in nice "Home Depot Tile Thingy" and they love it. They are more active now, too. However, I haven't been able to find a way to house them separately. Sorry, Lizzie and Jax. I would, but you know, parents.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
One of the dragons is going to suffer w/ them being housed together- its just a matter of time
Karrie

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
They have been together for a long time. They are happy together and it would almost feel like torture to separate them after two long years since babyhood together. Simply put, no. Sorry, but no. I cannot separate them. They give each other no trouble, as their tank is large, and they are mellow anyways. Their stress marks are to a minimum, and they show no signs of illness or sadness. They are perfectly fine. Most bearded dragons may not like to be put together, and will show stress marks and other signs of agression and sadness, but my beardies, like some other rare occurences, seem to love being together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom