Bazinga! I got a blue tongue skink! =o

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Bazinga! :laughing6: We are Big Bang Theory fans (the TV show) so in honor of Sheldon Cooper, I named my new blue tongue skink Bazinga! I guess he will be Buzz or Buzzy for short. :mrgreen: He's an early birthday present from my husband and I LOVE HIM! (the skink....and the husband, LOL!)

Here he is - we are trying to figure out what kind he is still, not like it really matters anyhow.
6899323569_0999ab69c0.jpg

Here is his full body - he looks like a snake with little T-rex legs. :lol: I think he could use a little bit of fattening up, but otherwise he looks really good and healthy. This is my first BTS and although I have spent hours researching, and my husband has, too, we are still learning.
6899322747_226b15ed24.jpg

It takes him a few minutes to settle down, but once he does he is very chill. He will sit next to us on the couch to watch TV. He has really beautiful, calm eyes and lavendar eyelids!
6899320319_e0ba13e2ec.jpg

I first saw him a few weeks ago in the reptile shop but didn't have the money for him at the time. Came back and saw him a few times, but the timing wasn't right. I came back a few days ago and he had been sold/traded. I had a little bit of sad, but I was glad he found a home. We went back last night to get more crickets and he had been traded back to the store. :? It was a sign...a bad sign... :silent: ...

We went home without him and discussed, talked, thought, researched....and we knew we were going to get him, but we said we shouldn't. At 9:00am today we were still deciding. 15 minutes before the reptile shop opened we were laughing and saying we shouldn't. It's just that adult or captive bred BTS don't just show up in our local shop every day. In fact, this one was the first one that we had seen there. Since they give live births, it's not like you get tons of eggs and there are tons of babies. So we jumped at the chance to get this guy and brought him home today.

So far he's pretty darned awesome. :blob8:

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
I love Bazinga!!! He is so cool! I can't wait to have a full day to play with him tomorrow. Chief is super jealous.

As for what kind of BTS he is, I've narrowed it down to either a Merauke or an IJ. If anyone knows anything about BTS's, and wants to venture a guess, feel free to help me out here.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
TASTIGER":1muclxui said:
so much for no more reptiles :laughing6:

:laughhard: I know, right?!?!? This all stems from my FEAR of skinks, believe it or not! I used to live out in the country and we had skinks all around our trailer steps and they would be on the top step sunning themselves, and I would go outside and they would freak me out. It's the only kind of lizard that freaks me out. I'm not even afraid of snakes! Anyhow a skink would always have been the LAST lizard I would ever touch, and it's really silly. It's not like they can bite my arm off or anything. Well, when I saw this skink I overcame my fear. He's just like a snake with legs.

He's pretty funny - he 'grunts' when he struggles and doesn't want to be held. He also does these blows of air from his nostrils. They had him on cypress mulch in the store and we decided against that and went with some online advice and got Aspen. I put down about 4" of bedding and put his hide in his home and he went in his hide. Later we lifted the hide and he was GONE! :shock: He burrowed under the Aspen and was very happy under there. :D

I'm so glad to have a new buddy. :mrgreen:

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
ShannyBeard":l740gmyq said:
TASTIGER":l740gmyq said:
so much for no more reptiles :laughing6:

:laughhard: I know, right?!?!? This all stems from my FEAR of skinks, believe it or not! I used to live out in the country and we had skinks all around our trailer steps and they would be on the top step sunning themselves, and I would go outside and they would freak me out. It's the only kind of lizard that freaks me out. I'm not even afraid of snakes! Anyhow a skink would always have been the LAST lizard I would ever touch, and it's really silly. It's not like they can bite my arm off or anything. Well, when I saw this skink I overcame my fear. He's just like a snake with legs.

He's pretty funny - he 'grunts' when he struggles and doesn't want to be held. He also does these blows of air from his nostrils. They had him on cypress mulch in the store and we decided against that and went with some online advice and got Aspen. I put down about 4" of bedding and put his hide in his home and he went in his hide. Later we lifted the hide and he was GONE! :shock: He burrowed under the Aspen and was very happy under there. :D

I'm so glad to have a new buddy. :mrgreen:
I want a BTS so bad they feel so cool and the breeder thats here in washington is really nice i always come play with his babies when we go to expos.
i also want a leopard gecko.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Morgan, I have both a leo and now the BTS. The BTS is so cool. He is very muscular and smooth, and it's not like a beardie - you can hold him with a pretty firm grip. Not too firm, though. I learned that if you hold them too firm they will pee a little. Their pee is like water and doesn't have any color or odor, but still... :silent:

You are lucky you know a breeder - you have no excuse to not have one some day. They have got to be easier than a houseful of kittens! :lol:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hee hee hee! :mrgreen:

None of our beardies are down for this skink, BTW. Papa Smurf is always wanting to kill every other dragon we have. I showed him the skink and he was like :silent: I think even he was a little scared. :eek:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Ahh, I'm SO jealous! He is adorable!!

LOL, when I get a BTS I plan to name it Sheldon. :p I don't watch Big Bang Theory, I just think it's an awesome name! You have to let me know how he is compared to a beardie! I really want one and someone even offered me one, but my mom says no more pets that need huge cages. :( Sadness.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Awesome. We almost went the Sheldon route. It is a really cool name. :D

But Shannon named him Bazinga because of the episode where Sheldon is hiding in the ball pit and pops his head out and says "bazinga" in a different spot every 2 seconds, since BTS's like to dig and hide in their substrate. LOL

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Wow Happy Birthday, Bazinga is really cool!! I've seen bts at reptile expos and online. What is their care like, feeding, housing, lighting? I'm glad you got your request, I do the same thing to my other half. For our anniversary we got Frank, for my Birthday I got Sunny, For Christmas I got Lulu, and I got Doug for him as a surprise at the reptile expo. His Birthday is coming up in March, he's getting another beardie! hahaha

-Kaleen

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Minimum of a 40 breeder for housing. They like aspen bedding as the substrate; keep it deep cause they like to burrow, and they need a hide, they spend a lot of time in it. A little lower basking temps than a beardie, about 95-100. They don't necessarily *need* UVB, but it's believed they do benefit from it, so we're using a ReptiSun 10.0. They are very hardy and can live up to 30 years in captivity, so it's definitely a commitment. They eat 50% veggies, 40% meat, 10% fruit, but they don't eat too many live feeders. They mostly eat people food... table scraps... LOL. Chicken, Turkey, Ground Beef, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom