Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Batman is going to be 4 weeks old tomorrow. With a ton of help from this site we have been able to give him a wonderful home and he is happy and healthy :)

1BE8E7B8-074C-4D56-97B8-DF53DA9F56D0-276-0000013F8992FB38.jpg

BFCEFC55-D35D-4C59-A69C-3A47C856E338-276-0000013F88634758.jpg

A1610B7F-0FB4-43A1-A9A6-D96C24F5A6E1-276-0000013F852D6E41.jpg

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you! My 3 year old son and 9 year old daughter named him/her...so I guess either way it's going to stick :) He is our first and we took him in from someone who wasn't able to take care of him. Luckily, with the help of this forum we have made a lot of progress! I knew absolutely nothing about bearded dragons and with him being so young it was quite an intimidating experience. This forum is amazing and I look forward to sharing Batman with everyone here!

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you!! He had his first bath yesterday, I didn't know he should be getting one every couple of days. He didn't seem to like it very much. I'm wondering if I have the water temp too cold :( I wish he didn't make me so nervous!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Unless the water actually feels cold when you dip your finger in, it is probably okay. Some beardies, especially babies, hate the bath until they get used to them, or always hate the bath. You should put a washcloth or your finger/hand in with him so he feels more secure. The slippery bottom of most bath tubs can really freak them out.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
I was just posting an update on our beardie about his bath. It does seem like he enjoys the towel we place in the tub. He will find an airpocket, place his head on it, then flatten out so his whole body gets under the water while resting his head on the air pillow. He seems to enjoy it, but our Beardsley never really liked bath time. He just had no choice but to tolerate it until it was done. I always use a hand towel though - it's easy. just toss it in the wash after bath time. They're all different I guess.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for the information! I will definitely try that with tomorrow's bathtime! I am nervous about using our bathtub considering his size...is it ok to use a LARGE glass bowl? Or is it safer in the tub? Either way we will try the towel tomorrow!

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
Our first I used a glass baking dish with a towel since he didn't move much. This one I do in the tub (our sink isn't big enough even though he's small - just the shape of it I guess), since he is more active and more likely to run right out of the dish. He does do a little "glass dancing" on the side of the tub at first, then figures out it's bath time and settles onto the towel and relaxes. I think it depends on the personality of your dragon. The tub is easy though. I fill with warm water just enough to cover the bottom of the tub - that makes it shallow at one end, and up to his shoulders at the other. I place the towel in the middle area and get it wet and "sink" it so it's on the bottm as best as possible. Once done, I take him out and place him on his basking rock to dry off and warm up, then I drain the tub and spritz with bleach. Simple. While he's in the tub I just sit next to the tub where I can see him and play a few rounds of skee-ball on my phone. Before we know it, the 15-20 minutes is up.

Whichever you do (tub, sink or dish), just be sure you are there watching. It's like having a toddler in the bath. You don't walk away ever and you keep your eye on them at all times :)

Here is a recent pic of Pagona Bob using his towel pillow ....

41cb1cc1-e5b4-40c0-bff3-0617a9d7ad07_zpsfccbdf71.jpg

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks! We will continue to use a Tupperware bowl at this point. He's just so young and tiny I'm way too nervous. The picture really helps too! I'm deathly afraid of him putting his head under! He seemed to do more drinking during his bath than anything else which made me feel good :) I hate to continue each response with another question but since you're here...he gets a bath every other day at this age correct? Also...how old do you think he has to be before I find out if Batman! is even a man? Hahaha! By the way...I can't say it enough...you are all so awesome for offering so much support and positivity.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
That will probably be fine - I wouldn't go any longer than that though. We try to give ours a bath every day for 15-20 minutes. That is what our vet recommended - then working toward 2x per week once an adult. As long as he's staying hydrated you're good. Drinking from the bath is good - you know he's getting water. Ours has not yet taken a drink from the bath, nor has he licked water off his nose. Stubborn bugger - So baths every day are best for our situation at the moment. Our first would dunk his head under water, but this one has not. Some do some don't. Some swim, some don't (from what I've read on here). Just watch if he dunks his head that he's not breathing in the water.

as for sexing, once he gets bigger you should be able to tell. Here is the article that tells you how. I personally wouldn't try it until older - I'd be afraid of breaking something - they're so fragile when little ! But that is just me.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom