Bathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

janze4

Hi, I've only owned my beardie for a bit over a month. He's young but growing quickly. He is in the process of shedding so I'm giving him frequent baths. He either swims around or puffs up and floats, both of which I understand are normal, but today I noticed his beard had turned all black, all across his chin. Is that a sign of something? is it normal or is he just not used to the baths yet?

Any feedback would be appreciated, and any ideas on how to get him more comfortable with baths.

zoomommi

Hey Janze4,
I too am a newbie,
Ollie has run our household for about 1 week now. She is 6 in. and adorable.
I came on line to ask almost the same question. Ollie gets in the tub and runs to the deep end and swims and then puffs up. It scared my daughter and she pulled her back to the shollow. Then Ollie ran back to the deep to swim and was doing a wiggle. We have not seen the black beard yet.
I guess the puff up is normal to float. Our problem is that she seems to only poopy when she takes a bath and I don't want her to get used to only going in the tub. I will stay on this thread to get the experienced folks feedback on baths...
So, let us have it wise folks!!!
zoomommi

wizbee

Juvie Member
Wise folks? LOL Well of course black beards usually mean some kind of stress. Water temp? Just plain finicky about their bath? My Boga hates it at first and black beards but loves it after getting used to it for a while. She always poos in her bath.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
zoomommi":c82d8 said:
Our problem is that she seems to only poopy when she takes a bath and I don't want her to get used to only going in the tub. I will stay on this thread to get the experienced folks feedback on baths...
zoomommi

Out of curiosity zoomommi, where would you rather she poop? :?
Most people love it when their beardies poop in the bath(less of a mess to clean up in their viv).
The warm water makes the little guys bowels start moving, so unfortunately they and we have no control over this situation.
I guess for most beardie owners having to change the bath water(if your bd wants to stay in longer) after they poop can be frustrating. I on the other hand am blessed with a bd that only takes showers, therefore I have no clean up at all, she will only go poop in the shower. She poops,it goes down the drain,bye-bye poop. I love it !!! :D

Fogles

Juvie Member
I can't wait for my beardie to get bigger so I can give it showers instead of baths. He's only 2 weeks!

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
I can ALWAYS count on Nero to bless his bath water. Which is why I use our double kitchen sink. As soon as he starts doing his "circling" (like a dog trying to find the right spot) I start the water in the other side so he can "flatten and float". Silly beardie.

zoomommi

I guess your right about pooping in the tub. I guess what I was saying is that I don't want her to wait to get in the tub to poopy. But this morning, she let me know that it is not only in the tub that she lays a long one. OK, that sound a little gross and crued.
I have found a easy way to clean the pooping in the viv on her newpaper. I get a razor and cut out a few layers of paper in a square around her business. I lift the layers, squares, and poop out and lay another piece of newspaper on top.
I got the silkies and phoenix worms in and she is in hog dragon heaven!!!
zoomommi
DSCF1958-1.gif

Fogles

Juvie Member
zoomommi":35ef2 said:
I guess your right about pooping in the tub. I guess what I was saying is that I don't want her to wait to get in the tub to poopy. But this morning, she let me know that it is not only in the tub that she lays a long one. OK, that sound a little gross and crued.
I have found a easy way to clean the pooping in the viv on her newpaper. I get a razor and cut out a few layers of paper in a square around her business. I lift the layers, squares, and poop out and lay another piece of newspaper on top.
zoomommi
DSCF1958-1.gif

Her color is beautiful.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
zoomommi":6bdc0 said:
zoomommi
DSCF1958-1.gif

I want him he is so cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom