Bad MVB or bad lamp fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxxy76

I have a 40 gallon breeder setup and I am trying get back into MVB bulbs as my bearded dragon, Lazy, had come with one when we adopted him. Honestly, he seems to like them better than the tube (Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb) we set up for him and is more willing to bask under it. We had tried to move away from MVB bulbs because the one he came with caught on fire. We still don't know how or why but we think it may have been a faulty lamp. It was a deep dome of some kind but I don't know the brand.
Any-who, I don't have a deep dome light fixture at this time (but I do have one ordered-Fluker's Sun Dome Reptile Lamp - Large Deep Dome Fixture) so I am using a brooder lamp. It is rated for 300 watts 120v 60Hz AC. I have ordered two brands of MVB bulbs one is the Evergreen/Impressa 100 Watt UVA UVB Mercury Vapor Bulb / Lamp / Light for Reptile and Amphibian Use - Excellent UVA UVB Reptile Light / Reptile Bulb x2 and the other is the Solar Glo 125 watt x1. The problem is that both brands (all 3 bulbs) start off with a nice orange hue that Lazy absolutely loves to lay under then they begin to change into a bright white/violet color. When this happens Lazy begins to squint and even sitting 3 ft away I can feel my eye facing the tank begin to hurt.
I've shut off the MVB's for now to let his (and my) eyes recover but what I am wondering is if this is a problem with the bulbs or the lamp fixture?

Foxxy76

Original Poster
I did order a deep dome just in case but I would like some opinions in case I need to return the bulbs. They are pretty expensive but since he loves them I am trying to make it work.
For his UVB intake I am taking him outside to bask until I get his new lamp fixture.
Also I use a lamp stand so there is no sliding the lamp fixture and it hangs vertically. No tilt.

94453-687978748.jpg
orange

94453-2143613813.jpg
blue/violet

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Evergreen/Impressa 100 Watt UVA UVB Mercury Vapor Bulb / Lamp / Light for Reptile and Amphibian Use - Excellent UVA UVB Reptile Light / Reptile Bulb x2
I'm betting this is a cheap Chinese made cloned MVB and as a result has poor quality quartz in the globe.
Will be leaking UVC and bad bands of UVB. This is what is hurting her eyes.

The
the Solar Glo 125 watt
should be fine. They have good quality quartz glass in the globes.

Foxxy76

Original Poster
I think it may have been a bad fixture and MVB combo. I returned the SolarGlo as well after it continued to shine violet/blue in the new dome. I traded it for another SolarGlo and so far so good today! Lazy is doing much better under it today. He even left me a happy poop. lol. His (and my) eyes are doing better as well.

Thank you for the reply btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom