Baby Napoleon -formerly titled: Suggestions or link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shara

Original Poster
Drache613":2cdxzvuv said:
Hello Shara,

Yes, a light coating daily will be fine with the monistat.
Are you going in from the side when giving the meds to help avoid aspiration of the meds/fluids?
She may not like the taste, either. I hope she is starting to do better now.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Tracie

We tried the monistat yesterday, and a bath (because she didn't potty yesterday).

Monistat: her face was poofy and white this morning. I wasn't sure if it was too moist? As of noon today, the swelling has decreased from this morning, and looks less weird.
Bath: She dunked her head straight down into the water and held it there... I nearly had a heart attack and grabbed her out. After waiting a bit, to make sure she was okay, she went back into the water and did fine.

Regarding feeding with syringe: I place a drop onto the outside of the front of her mouth until she starts licking and then I place each drop individually onto the outside of her mouth as she licks. I don't squirt anything into her mouth. I do the same with her medicine now, I just sneak drops in between drops of her her formula. I had to bribe her by promising her that could sit on my head if she took it all her medicine last night!

Here's pics:

Baby's first bath last night 2/4/2013:
fdzrt5.jpg

This morning after her breakfast 2/5/2013:
157f1ix.jpg

- shara and baby Napoleon

shara

Original Poster
Happy Update!

Napoleon is eating crickets again (and wax worms)! I'm still giving her the formula too. I usually mix some apple sauce, yogurt or sweet potato with it.

The swelling has decreased a lot, there's barely any red area now; however, there's a lot of yellow crusty bits that wasn't there before. At least there's no doubt it's YF though. 7 more days of medicine and we get a 1 week break from it!

We took a walk today... getting our non-artificial UVs.

-Shara and a more energetic Napoleon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great Shara, I'm glad to hear about Napoleon's progress and I hope that she continues to improve. I know your'e thrilled to see improvement in such a short period of time and with her taking the formula so easily for you ! :)

shara

Original Poster
I wasn't prior to this week. I was worried that it would spread the fungus, which the doctor confirmed was a possibility; however, I think she's about to shed, so I have started baths every other day. Actually, it's time now!

Cheers!
Shara and soon to be wet baby Napoleon

shara

Original Poster
Feb 9th 2013 FYI! Baby Dragons LOVE the tv show Person of Interest (even more than Sweet Potato and Papaya), but retire quickly to the closest available knee:
6p56cx.jpg

This morning (Feb 12) Napoleon after her breakfast. (I didn't mention the antennae hanging out of her mouth, she's very sensitive to cricket related criticism.)
2vmiskh.jpg

I think Napoleon's face looks much better than 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on a nice shed... it's been 5-6 weeks.

It's amazing how her illness has bonded us. She runs to the glass wall of her cage when I come in the room, hoping I'll pick her up. Instead of trying to get away from me when I'm feeding her formula, she eats faster so she can cuddle up to my neck while on my shoulder afterwards. They are really quite amazing, I never expected to see a reptile sulk with face pressed against glass because they were put them back into their cage. Napoleon wants to be held constantly!

By the way, I love Whole Foods! They have the most amazing selection of baby food! Napoleon's going to eat basil, pear and apple for dinner (while I sneek drops of antifungals in).

Cheers,
Shara and happy BBD Napoleon

p.s. I think I post too much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's great, she does look better. It looks much less lumpy now. How wonderful is her little personality, taking her meds. like a good little one and snuggling up with you. Be sure to keep her as warm as possible when she's out of the tank [ which it sounds like she does so by clinging to you ] that will keep her immune system stronger + more able to fight the infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shara,

Little Napoleon is doing well now! I am sure she is starting to feel better, too. I hope she continues to improve. It does take awhile for them their immune system to fully develop. Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

shara

Original Poster
I know this has been asked a 1000x but.... What other live protein can a juvenile bearded dragon eat besides Crickets and Dubias? Small hornworms, phoenix worms, or butter worms? Nearly every site and/or person tells me something different.

Also... I'm terrified of a roach escaping into my house, breeding, taking over the house, causing a forced evacuation and subsequent move. Can someone kindly give me the low-down on storage and handling? How do I get them from the storage container into the cage without any escapes? I heard something about a smooth rounded glass bowl?

Thanks in advance once again!
Shara and Napoleon!

How can sleeping like this be comfortable? Feb 14th, 2013
2usehec.jpg

P.S. Why does everyone use photobucket here? Everyone seems to have so many issues with it. I use TinyPic or ImageShack, they work great.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shara,

Napoleon looks so sweet! They sleep in the craziest positions sometimes, it is so funny.
I don't keep roaches, but a lot of people do. I tend to go for crickets. LOL
As long as you have a screen top, with a tall plastic bin you shouldn't have any escapees. With roaches, I know you can put a layer of vaseline at the top of the bin to keep them from crossing over.
You can use butterworms, phoenix worms or waxies for him, as alternatives. Waxies are fatty so you wont want to use them as a daily staple.

How is he doing today?

Tracie

shara

Original Poster
I opted against all the worms, and I just bought 15 dubias and some nice fresh crunchy crickets on my lunch break! The herp store gave me a nice deep rounded plastic container with air holes and a lid to house the roaches in. He said they are slow movers and not to stress about them. Speaking of bearded dragons... the herp store has the most adorable Giant Bearded Dragon. I wanted to cuddle him so much (I told him so over and over)!

Napoleon's very well and energetic! However, she's not remotely interested in syringe feeding currently. I should be pleased... but it's stressful to think about how I can get her Intraconazole into her next week without it. I could inject the medicine into a dubia, if she likes them! Where can you get syringes with needles?

Speaking of which, I need to weigh her tonight.

Cheers!
Shara and Napoleon the beasty dragon (that will try Dubias for the first time tonight)

shara

Original Poster
Can Napoleon catch my respiratory virus? I feel horrible. Obviously, I constantly wash my hands before and after handling her, she has yf.... But I can't stop breathing.

Thanks in advance!

shara

Original Poster
I LOVE Target!!!

So the prescription antifugal medication, $68 from vet and 2 day wait, would have only cost $10.38 at Target!!! I just saw a Pet med brochure when checking out and asked them to check on availability of Napoleon's prescription. I am floored... $58 less at Target!

-shara and lethargic (from overpriced prescription meds) baby Napoleon

shara

Original Poster
Today is the last day of Napoleon's 5 week course of Anti-Fungal medicine!!! So happy! Napoleon weighed 47 grams last night. She's averaging about 7 grams growth per week while on her meds (I measure her every 7 days). Her face still has the lesion, I think it will take a couple good sheds to disappear (this is my hope). There's little puffiness remaining and nearly no redness. Also, Napoleon's blocked nostril has re-opened!

Here's an update:
I tiled her tank with slate last weekend (thanks to the wonderful people at Lowe's who trimmed the tile). She is really enjoying it! OH Big news!! Napoleon is paper trained. I pre-cut squares of newspaper and she goes potty on the newpaper!!!

Here's pics of her house:

Pre-furniture
103z7sl.jpg

Post-furniture (i was testing temps)
2akgt9g.jpg

Napoleon LOVES LOVES LOVES dubia roaches!!! I ordered 500 from Jd Roaches, and they came in yesterday... not a dead one out of 500! They're eating a lot, oranges and cereal. They'll be fat and juicy in no time!
w9fixc.jpg

On Monday it was 86F outside so Napoleon and I sat outside in the yard. She was arm waving like crazy... right arm, left arm and back and forth for about 10 minutes! She's sooooooo cute!

cheers,
Shara and Arm Waving Baby Napoleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom