Baby Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Can baby food be given on a semi-regular basis as a treat (like once a week or every other week or so)? Or is it really only recomended when nursing a sick beardy back to health?

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
I have been wondering about this as well. Keeping baby food fruits on hand would be easier and last longer than keeping the fresh. Organic baby foods should be safer as well. What do you think?

Salsa

I always keep a jar or two of organic veggie baby food in the fridge for emergencies. I'm pretty sure it's way too high in... something, to be anything like a staple though. The biggest problem I've found is that Rosco's *entire* beard gets absolutely caked with baby food. :lol: It's awfully cute, but make sure you're set up to give him a bath later that day!

dragonphoenix36

Juvie Member
I was wondering about baby food, also..good to know. How about frozen veggies thawed out? I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Mass. and right now every fruit and veg in the grocery store is gross..nothing is really fresh. :( We don't have any food issues with Sakura...she seems to like everything we give her..we just want to give her variety to make sure she's healthy and happy.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
As far as I know babyfood is just for ill and malnourished beardies. Most have far too much protien and carbs in it to be a normal feeder.
To be honest I wouldnt even give it as a treat.
If your looking for something to 'treat' your little one with try waxworms (most go CRAZY for them. but only 2-3 a week as they are high in fat) or if you like the idea of babyfood you can blend up some veggies and make a beardie friendly smoothie ^_^

dragonphoenix36":83ba0 said:
How about frozen veggies thawed out? I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Mass. and right now every fruit and veg in the grocery store is gross..nothing is really fresh. :(

Really I wouldnt advise frozen veg if you can avoid it. Freezing veggies does drop a huge chunk of the nutritional value. So if you started using frozen you'd have to make your girl eat alot more than normal to get the same amount of goodness.
Try something like carrot, spinach and kale. These will keep fresh for well over a week.

Holly

dragonphoenix36

Juvie Member
Yeah, that's what I kind of figured..frozen does lose it's nutrition value, but I thought maybe in a pinch. That sounds like a good idea..I just might try giving her a "beardie smoothie"..Thanks Holly! :D

Salsa

Whoa... A beardie smoothie! That's a bloody excellent idea. I'll have to give that a try next week. I wonder how long a batch of smoothie would stay fresh.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
Ethelia":38268 said:
As far as I know babyfood is just for ill and malnourished beardies. Most have far too much protien and carbs in it to be a normal feeder.
If your looking for something to 'treat' your little one with try waxworms (most go CRAZY for them. but only 2-3 a week as they are high in fat) or if you like the idea of babyfood you can blend up some veggies and make a beardie friendly smoothie ^_^

dragonphoenix36":38268 said:
How about frozen veggies thawed out? I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Mass. and right now every fruit and veg in the grocery store is gross..nothing is really fresh. :(

Really I wouldnt advise frozen veg if you can avoid it. Freezing veggies does drop a huge chunk of the nutritional value. So if you started using frozen you'd have to make your girl eat alot more than normal to get the same amount of goodness.
Try something like carrot, spinach and kale. These will keep fresh for well over a week.

Holly

i thought that spinach was a "no" because it binds calcium?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I think there is still a long running debate about spinach.
Some people insist its fine, some people stear clear just incase.
I think even beautifuldragons.com hasnt made up its mind :)

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
Ethelia":a3a8f said:
Holly

Why is this? If fresh squash is okay, why not squash baby food. It's been 8 years since I've seriously checked the baby food aisle, but seems like I remember seeing organic baby foods. I would imagine other than fresh you couldn't get more natural than that. Am I wrong?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
ArchiesFamily":a0ca0 said:
Ethelia":a0ca0 said:
Holly

Why is this? If fresh squash is okay, why not squash baby food. It's been 8 years since I've seriously checked the baby food aisle, but seems like I remember seeing organic baby foods. I would imagine other than fresh you couldn't get more natural than that. Am I wrong?

In my eyes this is because the majority of babyfoods are formulated for babies. I.e. are packed with vitamins and protiens that growing babies needs.
Which is why for ill dragons it can be a lifesaver, but I feel it is unnecissary for any other reason because the levels are too high.

Im not suggesting a dab on the nose once in a while for a treat is a bad idea, but Im saying as a staple its probably not a good idea in the long run :)

Thats why I suggested making the beardie smoothie, ie. blending your own mix of fruits or veggies up together with your controlled and appropriate amount of vits.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
Ethelia said:
In my eyes this is because the majority of babyfoods are formulated for babies. I.e. are packed with vitamins and protiens that growing babies needs.
Which is why for ill dragons it can be a lifesaver, but I feel it is unnecissary for any other reason because the levels are too high.

Im not suggesting a dab on the nose once in a while for a treat is a bad idea, but Im saying as a staple its probably not a good idea in the long run :)

Thats why I suggested making the beardie smoothie, ie. blending your own mix of fruits or veggies up together with your controlled and appropriate amount of vits.

I'll have to check on that now that my curiosity is up. I would be upset as a parent thinking I was getting a "pure" food and finding vits and minerals had been added. I think I could undestand that if it was a meat product (maybe they need more to stay fresh, although at home you can can fresh meats without additives), but seems like they should be able to can fruits and veggies without adding man-made stuff. Thanks for making me aware of that; I'll definitely be checking into that. That's the kind of interference from "those who know", ie. manufacturers, that drives me wild. Let ME decide what additives I want my baby to have, don't hide stuff from me. Alright, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now. :D Thanks for the info.

dragonphoenix36

Juvie Member
Well..if Sakura doesn't eat soon..I will be making her a beardie smoothie with veggies vitamins and babyfood..LOL. I think she's going to shed soon..her head is very grey like her legs got the last time she shed. If she doesn't eat by Friday, it's off to the vet with her. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom