Baby beardie wont let me help him

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
The setup looks very nice & bright. Are you able to keep him warmer overnight to help boost
his immune system? If you aren't seeing any mucous in his mouth & nose then hopefully you
can ward it off before any type of infection gets hold of him.
When is your appointment next week? Be sure they don't overmedicate him since he is so small.
Is he enjoying his nutritional slurry you are giving him?
Let us know how he is doing. You are doing great with him, keep working with him!

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UPDATE:

First just so everyone is caught up on the changes, latest setup (pictured) is a 20 gallon with a reptisun10.0 UVB and a desert basking bulb with a CHE as night time heat (illness) al controlled by a digital timer and thermostat. Temps are 105 at top of basking spot and gradient towards the cold side. Night time temps are a constant 80 as instructed by a vet technician.

A few days ago I was trying to feed him and I heard a series of "pops" coming from his open mouth. Prior experience tells me 100% its a respitory infection. That explains a lot. So I made a vet appointment but its for next week at the soonest. In the meantime the vet told me to run night heat at around 80 and 105-110 in the basking spot, as the infection is not causing discharge out the nose yet so she believes he can at least try to fight it off to a point with extra heat time. Says she will probably prescribe mox.

He's just not eating enough without being forced. Even after hours of basking an electrolyte soak he has minimal energy reserves when brought out to feed or soak. He gets exhausted in about 15 minutes only to pass out sorta and slowly recharges in the tank afterward.

He poops pretty big every few days, but its from the reptiboost/pollen slurry with a drop of banana extract (only way he'll eat it at all) I'm syringe feeding him daily (.5cc) He will eat a single meal worm every 3-4 days or a single wax worm every few days if left in his bowl overnight. Absolutey refuses dubias, red runners, BSFL and crickets. (although he will sometimes make a half-hearted lunge at one that gets too close) and refuses any and all greens. Hes drinking when spritzed or sometimes in the bath. The only way I can get food in him is too wait till hes a bit hot and sneak food on his lips or in his mouth when he regulates. Otherwise, clamp mouth city as always. I know he feelss bad because welll the obvious, but hes always half black bearded unless he's "fullly charged" for the day.

I just hope the URI is the main culprit and not some kind of other problem. He is doing overall marginally better but I still get nervous every morning when I go to uncover him. Its taking a huge toll on my stress levels but hes worth it. In the brief times he feels a bit ok hes got one helll of a personallity, that I'm in love with. Any more questions, please ask.
UVB update please

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE:

First just so everyone is caught up on the changes, latest setup (pictured) is a 20 gallon with a reptisun10.0 UVB and a desert basking bulb with a CHE as night time heat (illness) al controlled by a digital timer and thermostat. Temps are 105 at top of basking spot and gradient towards the cold side. Night time temps are a constant 80 as instructed by a vet technician.

A few days ago I was trying to feed him and I heard a series of "pops" coming from his open mouth. Prior experience tells me 100% its a respitory infection. That explains a lot. So I made a vet appointment but its for next week at the soonest. In the meantime the vet told me to run night heat at around 80 and 105-110 in the basking spot, as the infection is not causing discharge out the nose yet so she believes he can at least try to fight it off to a point with extra heat time. Says she will probably prescribe mox.

He's just not eating enough without being forced. Even after hours of basking an electrolyte soak he has minimal energy reserves when brought out to feed or soak. He gets exhausted in about 15 minutes only to pass out sorta and slowly recharges in the tank afterward.

He poops pretty big every few days, but its from the reptiboost/pollen slurry with a drop of banana extract (only way he'll eat it at all) I'm syringe feeding him daily (.5cc) He will eat a single meal worm every 3-4 days or a single wax worm every few days if left in his bowl overnight. Absolutey refuses dubias, red runners, BSFL and crickets. (although he will sometimes make a half-hearted lunge at one that gets too close) and refuses any and all greens. Hes drinking when spritzed or sometimes in the bath. The only way I can get food in him is too wait till hes a bit hot and sneak food on his lips or in his mouth when he regulates. Otherwise, clamp mouth city as always. I know he feelss bad because welll the obvious, but hes always half black bearded unless he's "fullly charged" for the day.

I just hope the URI is the main culprit and not some kind of other problem. He is doing overall marginally better but I still get nervous every morning when I go to uncover him. Its taking a huge toll on my stress levels but hes worth it. In the brief times he feels a bit ok hes got one helll of a personallity, that I'm in love with. Any more questions, please ask.
If the screen on the tank is a fine mesh hes not getting much UVB - it needs to be unobstructed and directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches- he will not eat w/ out the proper placement and distance of the UVB- please do not cover him -- too much banana is not good - I know its extract but please limit it- meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction issues -

SpaceCatsAZ

Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today?
The setup looks very nice & bright. Are you able to keep him warmer overnight to help boost
his immune system? If you aren't seeing any mucous in his mouth & nose then hopefully you
can ward it off before any type of infection gets hold of him.
When is your appointment next week? Be sure they don't overmedicate him since he is so small.
Is he enjoying his nutritional slurry you are giving him?
Let us know how he is doing. You are doing great with him, keep working with him!

Tracie
Alert, just drank after a spritz (and of course washed his mouth lol) Yep his tank is a steady 80-82 degrees doesnt change until the tstat #2 turns on at 11am. Yeah hes breathing heavy and popping all the signs except the more serious ones. but it doesnt appear to be progressing. Appointment is wed at 4:45. Not really, but changing fruit flavors every few days he doesnt fight as much. If it were up to him itd be 2 worms a week lol. But respitory illness probably doesnt feel great.

SpaceCatsAZ

Original Poster
If the screen on the tank is a fine mesh hes not getting much UVB - it needs to be unobstructed and directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches- he will not eat w/ out the proper placement and distance of the UVB- please do not cover him -- too much banana is not good - I know its extract but please limit it- meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction issues -
No screen. As seen in pic it is less than 12 inches at all positions. correct mealworms are not good but this is life or death here. if he eats his slurry and i can encourage prey drive in any way in other times im going to do it. He poops after each electro soak and while they are too soft atm theres no problems with 1 meal worm and 1 wax worm a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No screen. As seen in pic it is less than 12 inches at all positions. correct mealworms are not good but this is life or death here. if he eats his slurry and i can encourage prey drive in any way in other times im going to do it.
Ok you can mix the meal worms or crickets into the slurry that way hes getting protein - the RI if that is what is going on and the relocation stress will effect the appetite

SpaceCatsAZ

Original Poster
Ok you can mix the meal worms or crickets into the slurry that way hes getting protein - the RI if that is what is going on and the relocation stress will effect the appetite
From Flukers site:

Unlike vitamin and mineral supplements which offer limited nutritional support, Repta+Boost is a complete supplement that includes protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins and minerals.

Add the cresty pangea/repashi bug infused food I use for different flavoring in the slurry to that, and the few bugs he eats on top hes fine nutritionally. Overkill actually lol.

SpaceCatsAZ

Original Poster
Just giving an update on Bandit (who turns out is a lil' girl!) about whats been happening.

She went to the vet shortly after my last post in pretty poor state. Every day we waited on the vet her respiratory infection worsened despite anything I was doing. The vet confirmed the respiratory infection and diagnosed she was severely dehydrated, and on xray her bones except her mandible and spine, were very thin and mbd had started.

So 10 shots later (which I hated doing to her) later, some calcium suspension every day and what must have been 50 syringes of different repti boost slurry recipes, shes dooing fantastic.

Eats from a bowl, drinks from a bowl,and eats and loves greens all with zero training. She is a little wonder and it looks like she was destined to be mine. 400 in vet bills in trade is a steal.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just giving an update on Bandit (who turns out is a lil' girl!) about whats been happening.

She went to the vet shortly after my last post in pretty poor state. Every day we waited on the vet her respiratory infection worsened despite anything I was doing. The vet confirmed the respiratory infection and diagnosed she was severely dehydrated, and on xray her bones except her mandible and spine, were very thin and mbd had started.

So 10 shots later (which I hated doing to her) later, some calcium suspension every day and what must have been 50 syringes of different repti boost slurry recipes, shes dooing fantastic.

Eats from a bowl, drinks from a bowl,and eats and loves greens all with zero training. She is a little wonder and it looks like she was destined to be mine. 400 in vet bills in trade is a steal.
Wow what a trooper- so glad she's doing better- makes my ❤️ 😊

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It makes me so happy to hear she pulled through. Maybe post some pics when ya get a chance. :)

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom