Baby beardie needs help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it sounds great --- just remember these kids need to wash their hands after handling these animals -- especially the ferret and the bird --- they all carry stuff and we dont want to cross contaminate them --- you never know so its always to be cautious --- you also need to check or help your son w/ the dragon --- they are so hard to read they hide their illnesses very well - so if you notice he is not eating or being lethargic - please post right away so we can help --- it is going to be hard to get a temps correct in that little tank if he goes into it --- I would start out w/ a 50 watt basking bulb if your gonna have him in that 10 gallon-- with it being so small we are gonna haft to really watch temps and the UVB -- one we dont want to cook him and two we dont want to over UVB him --- if it turns out you end up w/ a bigger tank before you get him that would be great and the best
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you & your family have had to endure such mistreatment from the store, but
even more sorry that the dragon was so ill. This happens too many times.
Be sure to post new pictures of your new dragon, when you get him all settle into his
new home.

Tracie

Stephh

Original Poster
107017-1242094171.jpg
107017-1595942621.jpg
107017-2139584562.jpg
107017-5375612625.jpg
107017-6473764800.jpg

I think we got it right this time!! Decided to get our beardie from somewhere else. It wasn’t planned but we saw him/her and fell in love.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Great UVB but you need to put a piece of decor under it 6-8 inches or put it inside the tank 12-15 inches-- he will go thru relocation stress so he's eating may slow down -- what did you name him/ her?
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
So, I have the tall decor under the basking light. But I also need one under the UVB? Is that because the UVB doesn’t reach all ares of the tank? I got the 24” as suggested. I was definitely planning on putting more items in with him/her. So I’ll be sure to put something tall under the UVB. So, his name is Alan. My son named him. If he ends up being a she then he wants the name to be Lily.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes but the screen is blocking 30% of those Ray's so you need a piece of decor under the UVB that will bring him 6-8 inches from the light
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
And he will know when to bask and when to get more UVB? In other words, he’ll know when to go to each “spot”?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will know what he needs - I see him on the floor - is he hanging there all the time -- that piece under the UVB is great for gradient temps-- I see a digital thermometer does it have a probe on it -- you want actual basking temps so you need to set a digital probe or use a infrared heat gun on the stick / log under your basking light and get a temp --- you want it 105-110 -- I would look at replacing that stick you have for hot side and get another piece to set under the UVB and move the decor you have for the UVB to your basking side https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5084227 something like this for UVB -- and you will need to get another hide for him that one you have is not gonna last long -- look on line for decor at Petsmart they have nice decor for dragons and its easy to clean as well
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
Got him two days ago. Not yesterday but the day before, so Thursday. Had him in the 10 gallon for the first day and then moved him to the 40 gallon yesterday because we purchased the 40 gallon yesterday. Definitely planning on getting to much larger hides one for each side of the tank. He has mostly been hanging out around that same Spot on the floor in the 40 gallon. I assumed at this point he’s just acclimating to this new tank? He has been going to the bathroom a good bit. He has eaten a couple of bugs. Not many yet though. And from what we have seen he has not touched any greens yet. I have missed him once each day we’ve had him. I will order the thermometer with the probe. For now I will set one of the thermometers in the basking spot To measure the temperature.Right now I have a thermometer on each end of the tank but not one in the basket in the spot I will move the one from the coolant into the basking spot for *Now to make sure that that is hot enough. He hasn’t even gone to the cool end of that tank at all yet. Do you think it might be overwhelming to be in such a large tank at first

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Whenever a baby is having a rough start it's good to set them up in a low-sided temporary tank , a plastic storage tote. I used to raise babies and the plastic bins are perfect , they are not as far away from the basking light in these. Here are a couple of pics to show all that you need :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

You don't really need newspaper or flooring for a single small baby. Use a dropper or spray bottle to slowly + gently drip water on Alan [ or Lily's ] nose for a drink, very important.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will adjust --- we need to know what the basking temp is on that log - right now hes going thru relocation stress and hes fine in the 40 gallon --- mine never went to the cool side of the tank for the first week or longer - and I put him in a 120 gallon 4x2x2 from a 20 gallon long - he hung out in the middle of the tank under his UVB and his basking hot side - he was between both - I would get a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store - $10-12 believe me you will use it -- we need to know why hes hanging out on that floor so much - they normally like to climb so I am wondering if its too hot -- his eating will slow down too - it should not completely stop tho -- to get him to eat his greens you can try this --- first thing in the morning feed him his salad add 1-3 medium size super worms on top - make sure he sees you do this - order some BSFL from here and order large
https://symtonbsf.com/ add these to the top of his salad you can use as many as you want they do not need to be dusted -- they full of calcium-- make sure he sees you do this -- put them in a glass bowl the worms cannot get out of - the movement will entice him to the bowl -- let him eat for an hr or so out of that bowl - the BSFL are another great staple feeder along w/ the one your feeding --
what are you feeding for a staple feeder -- I recommend dubia roaches -- they are the healthiest and the easiest to take care of --- you can use your 10 gallon aquarium to keep them in feed them dubia food and carrots for hydration --- dont feed the dragons carrots too - to much vitamin A - here are some websites for ordering bugs and staple feeders
http://www.dubiaroaches.com
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
http://www.abdragons.com
http://www.joshsfrogs.com
https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/
You can order butter worms silk worms also a good staple feeder but spendy--- horn worms order small quantity they grow super fast -- good hydrating worm -- super worms and wax worms they are like candy --- feed sparingly --
After you feed the salad add your staple feeder to the bowl -- take some of the vegies out and leave some in he will end up getting both --- the dubias work great for this as they cannot get out - crickets you need to disable them like pull a leg off so they cant jump out ---
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
107017-5292310012.jpg
107017-8340692175.jpg

Definitely a little too hot at the top of that tall branch in the corner. I may be wrong about this, but couldn’t he just climb on the lower part of it? Or maybe I should move the light forward a little bit so that it’s mainly shining down on that lower piece of the tall log and the tall part will be warm still but not directly under the heat source?

Stephh

Original Poster
He has been moving around some. Just not really climbing. I also wonder if the y’all piece is too slick. It’s got a plastic feeling finish whereas the other one has more of a sandpaper feel. He currently moved from over on the ground under the basking light to directly under the UV be. So, I think that’s good! Maybe he’s just warming up still

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That thermometer has a probe or no? You want basking temps 105-110 - he will pick a spot for basking temps- keep an eye on him - how far is the basking spot under UVB?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom