Baby beardie needs help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Be sure to post pics of the new one + the set up as soon as you get it. You'll need a nice tall basking log/branch as well. You don't need multiple items + hides, just a good log/cave that is at least 8-10" high.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
AHBD":3asqzcrm said:
Mostly everyone is upset at the store and just want to be sure you get things right next time.
Seconded. I think it's safe to say that everyone here is disgusted with stories like yours because it's a reminder that there are companies out there that would gladly trade the suffering and death of an animal for profit and not think twice about it. We all love our beardies here, and if/when you get another one, please feel free to ask for advice so that at least one more of these little guys will get the loving home they all deserve.

I'm going to be right out front and open here:

1) The so-called Pet Store that sold you these two should likely be investigated at a minimum. Terrible condition of animals, poor advice (I know, that problem is pet-store establishment-wide), and bottom-line pushed poor animals to death. That should NOT be allowed, PERIOD (yes, and I apologize for my language now, I am rather pissed off that a store is willing to stoop that low to make a buck)

2) When I get an animal, whether from a store, breeder, individual, or animal resource center; I am not just getting an animal, I am welcoming a new member of my family home. They aren't just 'throw-aways' or simple pets. So in a way, I am a bit agitated in just 'taking it back' after it did start to show some progress toward recovery. I understand, after your rebuttal/enlightened post, that you did seek professional opinions on the health of your baby beardie; and am therefore a bit less agitated. What stirs me most though, is that the little one was sent back to certain death in hands of cold and callous individuals versus given the chance to live (or die with someone who cared for them).

Maybe it's just me, but I have a real attachment to my little ones (be they my Beardies or Cats). Perhaps hearing why I am that way may shed a bit of light:
When I got Cooper, she was tiny; much smaller than her cage mates at the pet store. She was purchased with 3 others when my now-ex and I knew nothing about these beautiful creatures, and by my ex. As I was setting up a home (properly) for her, she stayed at my now-exes place (with her cage-mates). I get a phone call 3 days later, from the Ex, saying my little girl had been viciously attacked by the largest in the terrarium and her head had been split wide open/neck bent to one side. The picture she sent told of my babies imminent and impending death. I took off work and went to get her (we lived in separate places due to her in school). When I got there, she really was as bad as the pictures showed. I bundled her up and brought her back to my place, preparing to bury her within a few days. I took her to the vet, and the vet gave her no chance of survival. I brought her home to die, or to live. I did everything I could think of to save her, and some things that probably shouldn't have been done. She recovered, but never grew any much more physically larger than her 10-week size. She lived two years, but those were the two best and most loving years I had with any Dragon (that includes the ones she was purchased with, and after I got Smaug from his 4th or so home (Smaug was great too, but Cooper was more loving)). I didn't give up on her when she should have died. These little critters are terribly hearty.

All I am really saying is: Now you will never know if that little one would have made it and been one of the best investments in a family member you ever made.

Stephh

Original Poster
107017-4690781399.jpg

Can someone tell me if this is a good uvb light? I haven’t found a long one yet and someone told me that this one is good as well. Same brand I believe. But I think maybe the wattage was different on the previously suggested bulb. Not buying it unless I KNOW it’s good. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
NONONONONO!!!! They are the worst --- you need this a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either the T 5 or a T 8 bulb--- you need a fixture / hood w/a reflector - you can either order off Amazon for the hood and bulb or you can get the T 8 hood and bulb from Petsmart or Petco --- I think the sell the smaller hoods like 18 or 20 " but I recommend a 24" - it will fit into a 40 gallon tank if that is what you have and will transfer over to a larger tank later if it is upgraded --- 20-30 gallon tanks do not last long as the dragons grow quickly--- you dont want a fixture the same length as the tank -- he needs to be able to escape those rays if he wants w/ out hiding from the UVB
Karrie

As Kerrie stated, STAY AWAY from that UVB style bulb! They are downright dangerous to a Bearded Dragons health. As Kerrie states, a good 18"/T8 Repti-Sun 10.0 tube will be good, or one of the HO T5 set-ups.

Stephh

Original Poster
Ok. Didn’t buy it. Ordered the fixture and bulb on amazon. The guy at the pet store said he has beardie a and was insistent that it would need a heat lamp. I told him that I was told otherwise and I told him where I got this information. From you guys! He said ask them where they live though. We live in Georgia. He was saying that it gets colder here than a lot of places. I have lived in Georgia my entire life and although it can get cold at night we have heating and air-conditioning. Plus there are many many many places colder than Georgia this time of year. I told him also that the red lightAggravates the bearded dragons. As I was told here. And they were even insisting that it had to be read and not blue. But I don’t need one at all right? Another girl came in to buy crickets and said that she doesn’t use red she uses purple or blue. But my house probably doesn’t get below 65 at night. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it on the thermometer. But as long as it doesn’t go below that temperature I don’t need evening heat? By the way, this did not all happen at the crappy pet store from the beginning. I just ran up to the pet supermarket up the street to see what kind of bulbs they had.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No colored bulbs!!!!!! IF you need extra heat that being said your if your tank drops below 65 at nite then you would need a CHE--- ceramic heat emitter--- just for your info
What did you get for the UVB?
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
I ordered the 24” T8 hood and bulb for uvb. I’m going to peek at the temp in the tank tonight to see how low it goes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good-- if you want to upgrade the bulb to the T 5 you can cuz that fixture will take that bulb - only thing is the distance the bulbs are at - the T 8 will need to go in the tank 6-8 inches from basking spot
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
So, the T5 setup is better? They were similar in price on Amazon. It hasn’t shipped yet so I can cancel and reorder t5 items. Do you ultimately recommend that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They are both good bulbs--- it is up to you -- the T 5 is a stronger bulb - the T 8 would need to be replaced in 6 months-- the T 5 in a year-- the 24" fixture is a great fixture-- so you decide- what size tank do you have?
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
I currently have a 10 gal. Was not going to use that long term. Only while it’s small. Maybe a month or so. I just already had it. But I might go ahead and buy something bigger from the get go. Probably 40 gal or bigger.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the T 8 will work good on the 10 gallon but NOT for long I recommend you get a 40 gallon right away at least he can be in the 40 for a year and then work on getting something even bigger-- we do recommend a 75-120 gallon or a 4x2x2 tank for a full size bearded dragon -- in regards to taking him out your gonna haft to be really careful w/ all the animals in your house -- I recommend you dont take him out at all to run as a baby only to be held and get used to his environment and then even slow at that --- he will get stressed w/ all the animals as he will see them as predators-----but regards to your UVB it will haft to go on top of that tank and sit width wise across ---is there a screen top on the tank? I have a 10 gallon tank I use for the dubia roaches -- works great --- the T 8 will work fine as well in the 40 gallon --- so you figure out what you want to do --- we are here to help - but the 10 gallon like I said wont last long at all --- you can look on FB market watch or craigslist for a bigger tank and try and find one w/ doors that open from the front - w/ you situation and all the animals in your house its would be best for that along w/ the convenience-- but you will need to sanitize the used tank really good before use
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
Got it. Thank you so much. I do already have some inquiries out to people on FB marketplace about some large tanks. His tank is in my sons room. Good size room. Only other animal in that room is a leopard gecko that will not be out at the same time. And can’t be seen from his tank location or from most of the room. We will just hold at first but if he needs to eventually roam. It’s a nice size room! None of the animals roam permanently. Everyone has a good amount of space to roam when it’s their time. Cat is outdoors and comes in And out of basement through cat door to sleep eat poop get attention. Plus she’s super old. Not chasing anything. Dogs love to be outside when weather is permitting and other wise on the main level of home. Kids are upstairs and there is a gate not allowing dogs up. Ferrets are in my daughters room which is another good size room. They have a huge cage for when they sleep and then the run of that room when they play. I have a bird downstairs on the main level. Lovebird. Huge cage as well. Comes out to play with me only when I take him out. Fish. No problem there.? I don’t want the beardie to be scared. That setup should work right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom